43 replies to this topic

#1 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 07:55 AM

Got a couple of questions from a friend of a friend re this XU-1:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also have 5 digit number machine stamped o nthe crank at number 1 throw, with matching machine stamped number on sump mounting face adjacent- indicating block and crank have been matched , possibly by factory � any clues?

My car also has a totally non-GMH paint code on the plate � haven�t been able to track it � I�ll attach a photo � any help would be very much appreciated.

couple of his questions above.... interesting paint code... and very early production, might be before Mars 36th car off the line....?

#2 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:26 AM

Very interesting plate,ive only ever seen 1 b4, on the bob jane's private xu1, a non factory paint colour order,check with dulux as they were the paint suppliers of the day(dulon laquers),could be a very unique colour.BOB did some odd orders, i remember 3 or 4 ht utes he did, 253/3 on the tree/gts fronts/orange, also not on the gmh paint list at the time. the car could have a special connection somewhere in its past.as for the stamped numbers on the crank /block , could be job no,s from a big workshop so they dont get the components mixed up,or a id no for security. hope this helps .cheers daz

ps looked at a lj xu1 recently thats being restored,chassis no;00097!!

Edited by LGN347/24C, 21 September 2007 - 08:31 AM.

#3 _sunburst_metalic_

_sunburst_metalic_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:51 AM

Auwsome looking Car, never seen a plate like that. Colour is unique, good luck with the Search. rgds Sunburst

#4 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:08 AM

Also has amber indicator lenses...is the parker in the headlight or blinker assembly???
Cant say im a fan of deep red/burgandy on an LJ but if its rare then who cares right.
Looks to be a special order car, would love to know the history.

#5 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:38 AM

a very close match to some early hk/g monaro paint codes??cheers daz :D

#6 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

NICE COLOUR .. thumbs up

#7 _mars_

_mars_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 01:22 PM

Interesting car, quite like the colour, whats your production date on the ADR plate, an early number like that should have the clear blinker lights, may need to paint the center of the grill black.

mars.

#8 _fat tony_

_fat tony_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:00 PM

body # 26 - a?
what is the production date on the adr tag ?

#9 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

ive seen body no 56a and its a 1/72 adr, so one would assume 26a would be the same,but with gmh record keeping who knows. :D

#10 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2007 - 06:34 PM

Posted Image

heres the ADR tag, apparently the car is missing its vin tag... see quote below:

Thanks for your interest and help.

Only hassle with my car is it has been a race car at some stage so there is a hole in the radiator supprt panel where oil cooler lines would have passed through, and the VIN tag has been removed because the bonnet pins were drilled through that spot.  I have managed to track down a previous owner who raced it locally and I�m trying to contact him to find if he kept the tag � but he works in a remote community now so hard to catch up with.

I worked out the VIN from the �4044� scribed into the rear of the body plate � took some courage and a lot of thinking to finally remove that and lucky the car was an Adelaide build because apparently the Brisbane cars had the VIN ending written po nthe back of the body plate in greasepen, so it is rare to find one that still readable.

Then, with the build date and Fiv Antoniou�s book I worked out it could only be JL194044, and the vin disc confirms it.

As I mentioned before, the car is in reasonable condition and I have collected a lot of original spares etc.  I have it stored at present in a shed because I have been very busy racing cars with my son.  But I heard yesterday that the owner of the place that has the shed is moving out so I have to find a new place to store it , and the spare race car shell we also have stored there.

#11 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

The Chassis No is after mine , but mines a brisbane build car . So different counting system !

D.

#12 _rapid1_

_rapid1_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:46 PM

Hi, New to this forum stuff. The XU1 which my friend kindly posted questions about is mine - To add to the list of questions, when I bought it it had a Holley350 conversion - the throttle arm was pivoted on the firewall by a HQ style 90degree lever, very neatly welded and painted with the same colour as the car - I cut this off to allow fitment of original Strombergs - but has anyone heard of a 350 Holley fitment from factory?
Cheers,
john

#13 _rapid1_

_rapid1_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hi, another question if I may - the holes in the firewall which teh heater fits onto are very neatly plated over - no welds or bolts visible, and the whole is painted in teh same maroon as the car - I waws going to rip the plates off and fit a heater but I notice a few people on the forum talking about optional heaters and plated holes from factory - does any one know if XU1s came out with plates instead of teh heater unit please?
Cheers, John

#14 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

you have a pretty special car there rapid1 , you need to chase back through some previous owners , especially if it has race history ..

any pics of the heater plates would be great ..

#15 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

Hi John

I am confident in saying that no Torana left the factory fitted with a Holley carb. Equally, heater/demisters were standard on the GTR/XU-1 models. On some of the 'lesser' models the heater/demister was optional hence, where not installed, a blanking plate is fitted.

The only body colour that should appear under the hood is on the underside of the bonnet itself.

Hope this helps.

Bazza

#16 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:44 PM

john when you took the adr plate of the firewall did it have the original hollow type rivits and is there redpaint under the tag area ?

#17 _rapid1_

_rapid1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:39 PM

Thanks for that - so the Holley is definitely aftermarket and also the heater plated over is also aftermarket? Possibly removed when it was a race car. I guess next step is check out the paint with Dulux.
Thanks for your help.

#18 _rapid1_

_rapid1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hi, yes the rivets were genuine GMH and appeared untouched - the paint underneath the tag was same colur - the maroon - I will pull a door striker plate when I visit te hcar again to check what coloiur is under that.
Thanks for your interest.
john

#19 _rapid1_

_rapid1_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:03 PM

How do you post photos on this forum please? I'll post the photos of the heater plate and local competition - the Torana still gets used the way is was meant to be...

#20 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:50 PM

How do you post photos on this forum please?

http://www.gmh-toran...?showtopic=2847

#21 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:40 AM

well thats a first , a factory red engine bay

#22 _rapid1_

_rapid1_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

Inner guards are maroon, scuttle panel in front of windscreen is maroon, sides of engine bay, i.e. chassis rail area is black and actual firewall is black - is that how its supposed to be?
John

#23 _rapid1_

_rapid1_
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:07 PM

https://cache.gmh-to...yofP1000360.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
https://cache.gmh-to...Hughessmall.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by rapid1, 06 November 2007 - 12:11 PM.

#24 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

Hi rapid1

The colour scheme under the bonnet should look more or less like this.

Bazza

Posted Image

#25 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

[/QUOTE]Hi, yes the rivets were genuine GMH and appeared untouched - the paint underneath the tag was same colur - the maroon -[QUOTE]

not having a dig in anyway but the rivits in the adr tag arent genuine ones ..
i,d say its probably had a coat of paint in the engine bay .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users