Voltage requirement of electronic dizzy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _TORANR AMORE_

_TORANR AMORE_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

I am told that the ignition wire in a Torana is only 7 Volts, used with a points system dizzy. I was also told that if I am to use an electronic dizzy, I will need a 12 Volt supply to the coil instead of the 7 Volts. And thus have to use a relay or something.

Is this true? Can anyone verify this please?

Edited by TORANR AMORE, 31 January 2006 - 11:44 AM.

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:17 PM

Some of it is near the truth.
The conventional system has a resistance wire that will effectively reduce the voltage at a conventional coil to ~10V when the engine is running. There is no actual 7V supply wire to be found.
You can run a electronic ignition with a conventional coil and the electronics will still work fine with only 10V.
If you want to take full advantage of the electronic distributer a transformer coil should be used and it will require a full voltage supply, bypassing of the resistance wire for max performance, yet will still work on 10V.
I have put in "Tech Articles" a simple procedure to do this.

#3 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:06 AM

The car will run on the 10V but when you get up in the rpm it breaks down. I've had this prob ever since an auto electrician rewired my engine bay and re-fitted the resisted wire (we had it done correctly before). I've now run a new wire down there and i can finally use the full range of the engine (it would rev up over 6k but only if you slowly got there, rev it hard and over 4.5k it would break down).

#4 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:30 AM

I have a small question regarding electronis Ign from a Blue Black 308.. The 2 wires coming from the dissy green and brown from memory, were do they each go on the coil.. Wich wire is +positive and wich -negative..

John

#5 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:31 AM

:tease: :tease: :tease: :tease:

sorry just trying to feel what spamming is like..

Edited by TORANASS, 03 February 2006 - 12:33 AM.

#6 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:43 AM

It is possibly pink?(dirty pink can look brown) and green, pink is +.

#7 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:34 PM

Yeh pink is probly right mate.. Faded pink can look like light brown.. Thanks for that..

John

#8 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:16 AM

As devisadvocate said they are definately pink and green . pink is +

#9 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:32 AM

Can't say a lot about this but mine would have been originally 8 volts (so I am told) The car has had a Commodore elect ignition installed and some wires in the switch were 'bridged' (again so I am told) it now pushes out 11.2 volts as recently measured and this seems very adequate for street use.

Cheers
Herne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users