Barry Seton A9X

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:47 PM

I'm guessing Red will be able to answer this question. When I was about 18 a high school teacher in Wagga think his name was Ross Woodbridge bought the Seaton A9X hatch. I seen it driving around a few times and needless to say it was a great looking car. Mates who went to the school where he taught and other guys I have met who knew him all say it was full group C spec including the slicks when he bought it and drove it around town. Does anyone know what ever happened to that car?

On another A9X note the electrician at work seen a pic of mine on my desk and started telling me that his brother who is in his late 40's has an A9X hatch that he has had stored for many years (think he said 16yrs) in his mums garage in Griffith. The brother still lives at home and his mum is always nagging him to get rid of that bomby old car out of the garage. He said his brother is keeping it as his superanuation.

Edited by Rob 5000, 04 October 2007 - 10:49 PM.

#2 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:55 AM

The ex Seton car is one I know is still out there, but I don't know where or who has it.

#3 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

I found some pics of this car from 1979. These came from an add which aired during the DVD of the 1979 race.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:30 PM

How sexy is that.!

Welby

#5 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

nice car, is the front end high? or jsut look like it?

#6 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:18 PM

There is a Seton Car in Canberra, although I thought the guys said it was Bo Seton. Anyways for what it's worth:-

Posted Image

#7 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:21 PM

There is a Seton Car in Canberra, although I thought the guys said it was Bo Seton. Anyways for what it's worth:-

I'm pretty sure Bo and Barry Seton are the same person

#8 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 19 October 2007 - 07:24 PM

Lets face it - nobody really calls their son Bo, unless they live in Hazzard County.

Or is Bo Dukes real name Barry ???

#9 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

yep that was the paint job it had driving around town and people used to say it was the Bo Seaton car. It had the full on race exhaust as the car was straight off the track and man was it loud.

#10 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:21 AM

Here are a couple more pics from JR (Wingnut)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 07:42 PM

Bo Seton and Barry Seton are the same person.
The white car in Canberra is the spare shell, it was never raced.

#12 _liquorstax_

_liquorstax_
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:22 AM

I know this is an old thread, but for those who are still interested.........

The Barry Seaton A9X I knew well, as Ross Woodbridge was my teacher and later long time friend. Ross was a part time racing car driver and once was at the top of Appendix J in a Mustang.

From what I can remember Ross bought the car off Seaton directly after its last race at Sandown, the car was never repainted as part of it's preparation for road registration as all the Seaton sponsorship was placed on the car as stickers. I remember Ross telling me that Seaton boasted to him that "signwriters never touch my cars"

The car had the slicks removed and replaced with road tyres and an exhaust system change, before been put on the road with full NSW registration.

The car was sold by Holden to Seaton as a race car and thus never had a compliance plate, however somehow Ross managed to get it registered, however I do remember that the process was probably not completely legal.

Growing up in Wagga the car held legendary status as the fastest car in town, and it probably was, I rode in the car as a 17 year old and almost needed a underwear change after.

Ross eventually got stick of the constant speeding tickets and loss of points and turned the car into a Sports Sedan and raced it for a short period before selling it as a Sports Sedan.

I have lost contact with Ross, but as far as I know he is still in Wagga and owns a Taxi. I bet he sometimes lies awake at night and thinks of this "one that got away". Interestingly he also in his youth owned a genuine Lotus Cortina, another car I would image he must regret selling.

#13 _ck1971_

_ck1971_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:13 AM

The name is Seton not Seaton.

#14 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:58 AM

I know this is an old thread, but for those who are still interested.........

The Barry Seaton A9X I knew well, as Ross Woodbridge was my teacher and later long time friend. Ross was a part time racing car driver and once was at the top of Appendix J in a Mustang.

From what I can remember Ross bought the car off Seaton directly after its last race at Sandown, the car was never repainted as part of it's preparation for road registration as all the Seaton sponsorship was placed on the car as stickers. I remember Ross telling me that Seaton boasted to him that "signwriters never touch my cars"

The car had the slicks removed and replaced with road tyres and an exhaust system change, before been put on the road with full NSW registration.

The car was sold by Holden to Seaton as a race car and thus never had a compliance plate, however somehow Ross managed to get it registered, however I do remember that the process was probably not completely legal.

Growing up in Wagga the car held legendary status as the fastest car in town, and it probably was, I rode in the car as a 17 year old and almost needed a underwear change after.

Ross eventually got stick of the constant speeding tickets and loss of points and turned the car into a Sports Sedan and raced it for a short period before selling it as a Sports Sedan.

I have lost contact with Ross, but as far as I know he is still in Wagga and owns a Taxi. I bet he sometimes lies awake at night and thinks of this "one that got away". Interestingly he also in his youth owned a genuine Lotus Cortina, another car I would image he must regret selling.

Unless it was a lightweight "Lemans" shell it would have had a GMP&A spare part body tag and a chassis number on the rail which is all you need to register the car. Great story too!

#15 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:44 AM

Even the two Lemans shells had GMP&A tags, the only one I know of that didn't were the Bob Jane cars

Unless it was a lightweight "Lemans" shell it would have had a GMP&A spare part body tag and a chassis number on the rail which is all you need to register the car. Great story too!

#16 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

The Canberra spare shell one has the GMP&A tag.

#17 slr5640

slr5640

XA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • Name:Brian

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

I found some pics of this car from 1979. These came from an add which aired during the DVD of the 1979 race.
PDVD_000Small.jpg
PDVD_001Small.jpg
PDVD_015Small.jpg
PDVD_005Small.jpg
PDVD_007Small.jpg
PDVD_013Small.jpg

PDVD_000Small.jpg

PDVD_001Small.jpg

PDVD_015Small.jpg

PDVD_005Small.jpg

PDVD_007Small.jpg

PDVD_013Small.jpg

#18 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

Looks like the special 4 wheel drive version!

#19 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:55 PM

What a beautiful car.

#20 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

This Ross Woodbrige

Ross-Woodbrige-2.jpg

Ross-Woodbrige-1.jpg

Barry

#21 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:06 PM

Such a tough hatch!

#22 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

Even the two Lemans shells had GMP&A tags, the only one I know of that didn't were the Bob Jane cars

It was the lack of chassis number I was referring to not the tag.

#23 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 05 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

A bit of topic but I'm using Seton weber manifolds on my car, they always get comments when I open the bonnet. I've also met a guy who said he has a set of Seton extractors for a Torana, I wonder if they fit better than Hm9c's??

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:22 PM

They both had chassis numbers too.

It was the lack of chassis number I was referring to not the tag.

#25 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:57 AM

The ones i'm aware of (saw one very recently) didn't have chassis numbers as not built in the normal way. I'll PM you the details when I get a chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users