Buying stuff from the States...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _Rally hatch_

_Rally hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

Im thinking about buying some stuff from the U.S. I've never done it before and would like to know whats involved......... :blink:

Do I need to pay duty? Do I need to contact customs?

Or is it just a matter of them posting it to me???? :rockon:

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

Depends what sorts of things you are bringing in... I've got lots of stuff from ebay from the states - steering wheels/interior materials etc without any problems...

#3 _Duck05_

_Duck05_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hey Rally hatch,
Depends on what your buying mate?? I buy some stuff, all small enough to be posted from the USA including some car parts and just get it all mailed to me, I have had no issues. Just make sure you trust the person in the uSA your dealing with, and if you are unsure about them DONT deal with them. Stick to the well known..

Regards
Duck05

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:30 PM

Have a search, there was a previous post on this very story. Toranamat69 is your man, he's imported stuff for his LT5.

#5 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

ive brought alot of stuff from america, normally anything over $300 you have to declare and then you get charged import tax, unless they write on the package that its only worth $200 or whatever, problem with that is they can only insure it for $200 on postage, so if it goes missing, tuff luck

#6 _Rally hatch_

_Rally hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:43 PM

Just had a look a the customs site, from what I can gather if it is less than $1000 value, and not booze or cigs. Then you don't need to pay duties etc..

Just for the record I'm thinking about buying a carby.

Aust Customs

Edited by Rally hatch, 04 November 2007 - 08:44 PM.

#7 _MRNOS_

_MRNOS_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

Rory bought a msd 6al, set of rods and pistons a few weeks ago, no probs

#8 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

If you are buying off the web make sure they are top operators (well used) or at lease they are willing to display contact details with an address on their web otherwise i stay away no matter how cheap they are.
I feel a lil more confidant with CC's and paypal rather than money orders and cheques etc.

#9 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:04 PM

Just had a look a the customs site, from what I can gather if it is less than $1000 value, and not booze or cigs. Then you don't need to pay duties etc..

Just for the record I'm thinking about buying a carby.

Aust Customs

You do not have to contact customs. The seller fills out the declarations and if the package including freight and insurance is under $1000 then it should arrive in 4-10 days.

If you go over the limit then customs sends you a letter and you have to fill out some forms, pay $50 registration and the duty which is typically %10. This process will delay your items by up to a week.

The cost of freight and handling can kill the deal. USPS express mail is typically the cheapest freight option.

Summit Racing and Car Shop Inc are good to deal with.

Summit Racing will price match any price you can find online that is in stock. Summit Racing charge a $25 handling fee per order. The Summit Racing phone lines are open 24hrs.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 04 November 2007 - 09:04 PM.

#10 _Rally hatch_

_Rally hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:39 AM

Summit and the Car shop were two I was looking at....... So that is good to hear,
Cheers :spoton:

#11 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:05 PM

I've bought a lot of stuff from the US.
Dont quote me on this, but to not pay import tax, the parts have to be under $1000 or for a vehicle which is over 30yrs old.
If over 30yrs, they are classified as 'classic' spare parts & carry no import duty.
That's how it was explained to me.

The hardest part is waiting for the shiny stuff to arrive!

#12 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 03:24 PM

I order through Summit all the time. I click on the buy button, and in 7 days it is usually at my doorstep. Amazing service, better that some of the well known aussie companies!

$US23 handling fee, and for not heavy stuff (guages, carbs, braided hose and fittings, fuel pumps etc etc) around $US40-70 shipping. It usually always works out cheaper thatn buying it here.

I have found Autometer guages and braided hose fittings are the best thing to get cheap from Summit as they are light and really expensive here. Example, a -12 fitting here $A57, there $US14.99.

Go for it!!

Edited by LX406, 12 November 2007 - 03:25 PM.

#13 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:43 PM

Shit that aint much for shipping... I wonder what kinda price a pair of Tyres would be?

#14 _XUI202_

_XUI202_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 08:49 PM

dont for get to tell them to send it us air express. surface mail-normal post service can take 10 weeks to get here. if you know the person get them to put gift on the custom's form-no tax. i buy heaps of part for my chevs ect and have had no prblems. if you are not sure get phone number and ring the seller!! cheap to ring the us these days. :spoton:

#15 _Rally hatch_

_Rally hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

$70 shipping and 7-10 days, For a carby

All up $690 Aust, landed on my door step
Rocket want $970 for the same item.

#16 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:25 PM

Have a look at http://www.egauges.com/ they seem pretty cheap and replied to my email quickly. Now i just need the dollar to go back up so i can get all my gauges in one package

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

$70 shipping and 7-10 days, For a carby

All up $690 Aust, landed on my door step
Rocket want $970 for the same item.

If rocket are making $300+ on the deal the other guys must still be making good coin.

#18 dpz

dpz

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 11:07 PM

I've bought heaps from the states. Slowboy Racing etc etc etc. If the price including freight goes over $1000 I ask them to write out a "fake" receipt. This way I pay no tax. They email through the real receipt so I have a copy of the "real" transaction. They once stuffed my real receipt into the compressor side of a turbo!!! It couldn't be seen, even if the box was opened and checked, which does happen from time to time. Warranty replacement, freight charge only, is another good one we use. If you are dealing with a large company they can be very accommodating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users