57 replies to this topic

#1 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 03:00 PM

G'day all, since purchasing my first Torana last Friday 27/01/06, I have decided to slowly build her up since she is my daily driver and cannot afford to have it off the road for long periods. Listed are the specs of my new pride and joy (will have pics by Monday);

1972 LJ Torana

ENGINE:
- Red 173 (around 65,000-70,000 miles)
- 3 speed column auto
- Sports muffler
- Runs on 95 octane with Valvemaster additive.

WHEELS:
- 13 inch Sprintmasters riding on Firestone rubber (must check on width)
- Original spare in boot a Goodyear tyre straight from 1972.

INTERIOR:
- XU-1 Dash with all working guages
- Kenwood CD & 6x9's in parcel shelf
- Original light blue vinyl seats front & rear - no rips or burns
- Original door trims complete with fake wood trims (gotta love the 70's styling)
- Original light blue carpet - good condition rear, totally stuffed in the front, massive rip under drivers feet and "bald patches" (hey its from 1972).
- New door rubbers, but most are falling off and put on in a hurry it looks like
- Pacel Shelf buggered and need a passenger side kick panel

HISTORY:
- Original 60,000 miles by elderly couple from Goulburn
- All rust removed.
- Was originally White but resprayed Holden "Red Hot" by previous owner who bought car from elderly couple.
- Car was built in Brisbane (according to VIN/Vehicle ID)
- I believe I am 3rd owner

FUTURE PLANS:
- Replace interior carpet - black seems most likely choice
- Fix door rubbers
- Reupholster/Replace the current interior in black vinyl
- Install extractors and new exhaust

Thats just a short list of what is really going to improve the interior of the car to match the paintwork and greatly improve my comfort while driving her :D

Feel free to post any feedback or tips you might have as having only owned the car for a short time and only having owned a 1987 VL Calais previously, my Torana knowledge is limited. :blink:

Cheers,
Mick

#2 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:23 AM

Sounds like a nice torry. Look forward to the pics :) Welecome to the forums :)

#3 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:00 AM

Nice little vehicle, by the sounds of things it came with a lot of nice g/c gear which will save you some cash in the long-term. Love to see some photos of the beast.

#4 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:51 PM

Cheers guys, took some pics straight after I washed and polished today so should have some pics up Monday or Tuesday (depending on when my mate downloads the pics to me...lol)

#5 _lexa_

_lexa_
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:54 PM

wat do u think of the red hot colour on the LJ? i am still yet to see one in person but it seems to be a likely colour choice for my car. i want a red that will really "pop".

#6 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:24 AM

I am not a fan of red cars usually but mine has grown on me since I first saw it for sale and i always get comments from mates to people in the street about how bright it is and the chrome bumbers really set it off - I should have pics up 2moz so you can judge it for yourself.

#7 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:36 PM

Sort of a quick update...I put the car in for a service last week and it got the all clear from my mechanic except for a couple of "little" things -

1. According to the previous owner the transmission (Trimatic) has slipped changing from 1st to 2nd if you keep it around 2,100 RPM while accelerating, so I figured that will need reconditioning, saw my transmission guy and he confirmed it will need a complete overhaul; however he said it will cost the same to do it now or when it dies which he said could be a little while down the track so it does the job for now. Anyone in NSW got a Trimatic they want to sell me?? :D

2. Top tank on the Radiator has a leak and will probably need to be replaced as the patch kit he applied will only last so long.

3. Very Small Oil leaks through nearly all seals and gaskets, but good news no big deal next time get all seals and gaskets done. (Quick degrease before Rego and it will be sweet as).

PS. I will also be throwing in some 6x9's in the parcel shelf (replacing the crap ones there now), an amp, a new door mirror, sports air filter & some new door locks in on Satday & Sunday

PPS. I will DEFINENTLY put pics up on the weekend I will sit my mate at the computer until he sends them all to my email account. My mate is going to make a great spraypainter all the promises in the world but no results...lol :fool: (No offence to any spraypainters out there)

#8 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:10 PM

Mate congrats on buying a Torrie, I own a SS Hatch that I absolutely love taking the cover off on every Sat morning and starting her up for some stress relief on the weekends. I am a huge fan of the historic series of car racing, after watching the LJ,s in full flight the other weekend (and these guys were pushing as hard as these cars could go!!!) I have nothing but admiration and respect for these fantastic little cars. The A9Xs were not too shabby either, those screamin 308s give me goosebumps, this was at the Phillip Island meeting by the way, Brocky hammering the rings out of a A9X hatch these days, well , it just doesnt get any better. So enjoy and good luck with your project !!

#9 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

PICTURES FINALLY!!!! :D Only some basic shots, i have some more to come.

She still has a "black eye" (headlight surround) and i might get them straightened and rechromed.

the interior has been tided up by me & my mates (2 Auto Electicians & 2 Spray Painters = Jackpot) and most wiring hiden.

I also added a chrome air filter, new door locks, new 6x9's in parcel shelf, new mirror on drivers side, washer jet now works & custom switches for windscreen wipers & washer jet installed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers,
Mick

Edited by LOWS2, 28 February 2006 - 09:31 AM.

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:43 PM

thats tidy mate.

#11 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:35 AM

Cheers mate, but those pics dont show up the colour they make it look orange-ish, but i can assure it is the new Holden "Red Hot" colour, I think it shows better in some other pics i have but will have to find them and get some new interior pics. Amp should be going in on Saturday so i can crank some Boys Light Up through the new 6x9's & hammer down a VB long neck...lol.

Have also been looking for some new seats to replace the saggy, unsupportive seats i have now - i am thinking either some racing buckets or some seats out of an import car like MODNIZD has in his LC as they look tough as.

Also thinking long term (prob 1.5-2 years away :cry: ) of a possible install of a 308, full manual auto, 9 inch with mini tubs and big brakes - the picture below (not sure where i got it from - maybe on here) is what i would be aiming for.

Future Plan

#12 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:27 PM

Howdy Fellas,

Another update on my Torrie...

On Friday i am having a new exhaust installed, it will consist of -

- Hi-Tech Headers
- 2 1/4 inch exhaust front to back
- XU-1 style muffler with the twin exits

Was told should give a really nice old school tone to it by the exhaust shop & got a good deal on it so i am hanging out for Friday to come and cruise down to Cronulla :D

Also got a Tri-Matic off Ebay for $60 to be rebuilt and take the place of the semi-stuffed one in the car now and that will be rebuilt in April (damn monthly pay day). It has done about 300,000km but never slipped while the guy drove it so should cost less to reco than the semi-stuffed one (as i was quoted about $900 for the one in my car now to be reco'd)

Bit of bad news, had a good look under the front carpet and found our old friend Rusty Drivers Side Floor Pan so that will have to be replaced but it doesnt have any holes showing or isnt that big so might leave for my brother (panel beater) to fix when he comes back from Europe in April/May.

Still tracking down more whole car photos to post up.

#13 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

sounding great lowS2!
The car looks great from those pics!
The plans youve got sounds excellent! Good on you and keep posting your progress!

Good on ya!

#14 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:52 PM

Updated info on my LJ -

- Exhaust went in about 2 weeks ago and i am very pleased with how she sounds now, a real burble when she idles and loves sitting at 2000 RPM and singing loudly through the rear pipes, which look phat as by the way.

- Had the rebuilt Tri-matic put in yesterday & no more slipping from 1st to 2nd :D
but cost $800 all up :fool:

- Diff definently needs attention (clunks slow & hard into gear), not sure if i will go for the Borg Warner upgrade or have the Banjo rebuilt (could be a matter of $$$)

- Brakes will need attention as well, the Master Cylinder has been leaking ever so slowly since i bought the car and it feels as though there is no force behind the brakes, so again not sure what sort of upgrade or reconditioning should happen as $$$ is again a major factor and the parentals are realising how much i am spending on my baby (insert stern warning from parents about saving my hard earnt $$$).

- New rear parcel shelf for 6x9's & custom kick panels for splits will be built soon, 6x9's, 6 inch splits, amp & JVC CD Player (thanks to NOSLH as i bought the one he had for sale) to be installed.

- Will put pics up of the whole car and new exhaust ASAP if i can find where i saved them????

Cheers,
Mick

#15 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:45 PM

Nice car mate. You may not need a new diff have you checked the unis and the trailing arm bushes? Would be easier and cheeper.

#16 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:04 AM

Nice car mate. You may not need a new diff have you checked the unis and the trailing arm bushes? Would be easier and cheeper.

Thanks for the comments, Maybe not a new diff but needs something i will suggest these ideas to whoever i get to look at it.

Cheers,
Mick

#17 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

Been a while since i updated so here it is -

- Reco'd gearbox runs like a dream dont know how i lived without it lol.

- Got the new Master Cylinder & new pads for the brakes, no more hanging shirts out the window to slow down :D . Stops on a dime...only a couple of times in a row before the fadding begins.

- Diff has massive back lash and while not hurting anything as such it is really annoying so is booked in next month. I still have to talk to a couple of places about what to go for & $$$ i am spending.

- Radiator will also be completely reco'd, i was quoted $200ish for flush of engine, repair leaks, all fluid replaced & installed, which i think is fair enough. this should be done next month, depending on $$$ spend on diff.

Have been thinking about future engine options and was really keen to go down the V8 conversion path but i think i will stay with the trusty Straight 6. I am now thinking of buying a 186 or 202 already built to save some $$$ but it will have to have all receipts for work done - with a carb (holley or simillar), cam, YT Head, etc.

I still cant find the rest of the pix of the Torrie and new ones i took of her :cry: , so will take some new ones & post when i can.

I have posted some pics of my Calais (not a Torana but my first car) that was stolen in December 2005 (yes it was hard to get over bumps!). Was N/A, auto, rust free, resprayed, immac. interior, all electrics worked, massive 3.5 inch dump tip.

Cheers,
Mick

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

Im hoping to have up to a certain level for Toranafest as i am thinking of entering the Daily Driver section if it scrubs up in time but until then its just another update on the Red Rascal.

- The reco'd diff centre went in yesterday after much discussion i went for the 3.08 ratio from Diff Technics in Kogarah. No more back lash :rockon: and a lot quicker off the mark just have to run it in a little more, very happy with the result :D . She

- Picked up a 350 Holley & Cain Manifold off 73lj202 for a very decent price. I wont be putting it on until October or maybe for Toranafest not sure yet. Will be putting a kit through it before it goes on.

- Radiator will be reco'd next month for sure as things are too tight financially this month to do it.

- Also bought off ebay a chrome rocker cover and am chasing some chrome side plates & a thermostat housing to really bring the engine bay up.

- My mates (spraypainters) will be giving the rough paint spots on her some tidying up before Toranafest and maybe an engine bay tidy up as well.

Should have pics by Sunday Night/Monday Morning.

Cheers,
Mick

#19 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:58 PM

I found one Pic -

Posted Image

#20 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:34 PM

Looks stunning as always, and sounds like you're getting a lot of little things sorted out.

I think you could have done better than a 350 Holley though.

#21 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:16 PM

Have been thinking about future engine options and was really keen to go down the V8 conversion path but i think i will stay with the trusty Straight 6.

Once you've had 8 cylinders you'll never go back :spoton:

What's the deal with stock 202's and 350 holleys? I would have thought they were way too big...

Edited by Loki, 29 May 2006 - 04:19 PM.

#22 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:52 PM

I miss my old VL Calais Turbo :(

The LJ looks very tidy in that pic :)

#23 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hurry up if your planning a 5L conversion will be a thing of the past very soon

#24 LOWS2

LOWS2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 08:58 AM

Cheers for the comments guys and Yes it is a lot of little things which have been sorted with a few more to go its actually starting to get annoying as thats all i seem to be spending $$ on. I also only got the 350 cause it was a decent price and am planning for a worked six later in the year so this is a stop gap for the 173 until then.

Also I dont think the 5L conversion will happen before the RTA changes as i really cant afford to have her off the road and justify spending that much on her at the same time, which is a shame as I would really love a 308 between her rails, but i am sure there will be a few floating around for sale at some point.

I have i lot more planned for her in the near future as i plan to enter her in Toranafest next year as i know she wont be ready in time for September this year.

Cheers,
Mick

#25 _70rey_

_70rey_
  • Guests

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:53 PM

mate that is a clean car... love the bright red.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users