Photo

Shannon's Phillip Island Classic Races 10-12 Feb.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 wingnut

wingnut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:18 PM

This event is happening next weekend.

The Vic. Historic Racing register website indicates they have accepted 450 + entries.
Untimed practice Friday & racing Sat & Sunday - about 32 events.

There is to be 3 Group C races which will have Peter and Phil Brock competing in A9X's and John Harvey in the ex Bob Jane XU-1.

Apparently there are 97 Group N Hist. Touring Car entries and obviously there will be heaps of Toranas battling Monaros, Mustangs, HOs Chargers etc. - go Trev Talbot car # 76 - what a player !!!

This is always a fantastic event and well worth the trip to the Island.

There is always an XU-1 owners gathering on the fence of the main straight just to the south of the foot bridge.

I will be there with the digital camera as usual.

Cheers

JR. :D

#2 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

I will be heading down for sure, went last year and apart from the traffic jam getting off the island, had a ball.This is a great event and a great chance to see some fine machines in action, can't wait!!!

#3 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 07 February 2006 - 06:34 AM

I went last year and it was awesome. Wandering around the pits looking at the old XU1's, GT's, Monaro's etc was fantastic. Amazing what they do to some of these cars.
unfortunately I can't go this weekend as I've made plans to take the road bike for a trip to Omeo, Bright etc.... Need to make the most of this sunny Victorian weather, it won't last much longer !!!

#4 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:29 AM

A friend of mine has the old Bob jane XU1 with Harves driving along with the old Colin Bond L34, looking forward to getting down there Sunday.

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:08 AM

I wish I was going this year, I've been to most of them. the 2 Brocks are driving mates A9X's this weekend

#6 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:55 AM

Just a quick reminder "DONT FORGET THE CAMERA" :D

#7 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:40 AM

What an awesome day, plenty of XU-1's, a few L34's and A/9X's, Took photos so hopefully will be able to add, saw plenty of Torrie's in carpark, but didn't have time to get pics. Mate was unforutatley not able to bring Bondy's L34 due to gearbox/diff hassles so they brought the Wigston/Hindhaugh Roadways A9X along with the Bob Jane XU1 that Harves did a parade lap.
Only problem was getting off the Island, ended up going back to Cowes and having tea and leaving at 7:30pm, Just also noticed that the VTC had a cruise to Hanging Rock, bugger it was on the same day as the Historics!.

#8 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:46 AM

Only problem was getting off the Island, ended up going back to Cowes and having tea and leaving at 7:30pm,

It was an awesome day, so many great and significant cars in the one place and the best thing was you could access all areas and see them up close. Took 100's of pics, will need to sort through them today and post a few. Is anybody willing to host them for me? :spoton:

Going back to Cowes was a good idea, how was the traffic at 7.30pm. Was it normal or close to it?

Cheers Simon

#9 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:53 AM

What an awesome day, plenty of XU-1's, a few L34's and A/9X's, Took photos so hopefully will be able to add, saw plenty of Torrie's in carpark, but didn't have time to get pics. Mate was unforutatley not able to bring Bondy's L34 due to gearbox/diff hassles so they brought the Wigston/Hindhaugh Roadways A9X along with the Bob Jane XU1 that Harves did a parade lap.
Only problem was getting off the Island, ended up going back to Cowes and having tea and leaving at 7:30pm, Just also noticed that the VTC had a cruise to Hanging Rock, bugger it was on the same day as the Historics!.

is the owner of the Wigston/Hindhaugh Roadways A9X name "michael" ?

can you email me some pics of that car please?

cheers

mick

#10 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:50 AM

Took 100's of pics, will need to sort through them today and post a few. Is anybody willing to host them for me?

Hey Mondie,

No probs I can host them for you, or if you want setup an account at www.photobucket.com.au (its free).

#11 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 08:57 AM

Took 100's of pics, will need to sort through them today and post a few. Is anybody willing to host them for me?

Hey Mondie,

No probs I can host them for you, or if you want setup an account at www.photobucket.com.au (its free).

Thanks l will give that a go. If its free your talkin' my language :spoton:

#12 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:51 AM

What an awesome day, plenty of XU-1's, a few L34's and A/9X's,  Took photos so hopefully will be able to add, saw plenty of Torrie's in carpark, but didn't have time to get pics. Mate was unforutatley not able to bring Bondy's L34 due to gearbox/diff hassles so they brought the Wigston/Hindhaugh Roadways A9X along with the Bob Jane XU1 that Harves did a parade lap.

is the owner of the Wigston/Hindhaugh Roadways A9X name "michael" ?

can you email me some pics of that car please?

cheers

mick

Yeb, It's Mick alright!

Yeah at 7:30pm had a good run home, when back in Cowes I spoke to a few others who had decided to do teh same thing, there were heaps of cars on trailers just parked around waiting too.

#13 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:39 AM

i love that car

i thought that was the guy, nice guy, he was real thankfull to me for getting a few pics of his car when it was actually being built in the gown hindaugh race workshop.

mick apparently had been chasing the history of his car since he bought it

Posted Image

if you look close , he is in the middle of the pic

#14 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:31 PM

Yeb, thats Mick!, I knew the guy who coverted it to a road car 20 yrs ago, I remember first thinking it was a mocky.Then I carefully checked it out and realised it was the real deal. Went for a run in it and boy was it quick :clap:
Yeah Mick's got some NICE cars...

#15 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

Yeah also had a great day, man the sound of those cars full noise is absolutely awesome. The XU1s were flying, the sight of an XU1 leading a Camaro brilliant.I loved watching Brockie in the A9X dicing with a 10yr younger Skyline, very close but no glory for the A9X. It wasnt apples for apples so go the mighty A9X. My son met Bob Jane and scored a few autographs, yes the traffic was a bummer but not enough to sour the 9 hrs we spent at the Island. I have severe leg pump from pushing the clutch in my SS every 20M from the track to the bridge, but I still can't wait till next year!!!!

#16 wingnut

wingnut

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

As predicted this was a fantastic weekend of racing.

The number of toranas that turned out was great.

Brocky certainly hasn't lost his touch in an A9X

They said that he broke the lap record for the class on Saturday in a car he had
never driven before.

I got some reasonable images if someone will host for me on this occasion.

Cheers JR.

#17 _V8racerchic_

_V8racerchic_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

Damn, I missed what sounded like a great weekend of car racing.. I saw a few classic cars being towed towards the Island on the S.E. Freeway on Friday afternoon, and knew there must have been something on, but couldn't find anything on the net about it... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

(Mental note to self... Be there next year!) V8racerchic..

#18 YiriSS

YiriSS

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

Yeb, thats Mick!, I knew the guy who coverted it to a road car 20 yrs ago, I remember first thinking it was a mocky.Then I carefully checked it out and realised it was the real deal. Went for a run in it and boy was it quick :clap:
Yeah Mick's got some NICE cars...

yep

i can vouch for it being quick

whats his current stable consisting of now?

wingnut , check out www.photobucket.com.au

hurry up and post them :spoton:

#19 to fly

to fly

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:13 PM

V8racerchic, Try out this website for whats on!! I have it in my favourites
www.pinky.com.au just go to vic and the month and see whats ahead.

#20 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:57 PM

Okay here's wingnuts pics....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:00 PM

and some more....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks like it was a great day... wish i was there....!!!

Edited by 350LH, 13 February 2006 - 11:02 PM.

#22 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:05 PM

Fantastic shots!!!! Man there is no hotter looking race car than those old skool Torana's!!!! NEWSUX!

You've talked me into going next year for sure!

#23 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:00 AM

Me too..... !!!!

Just imagine having Brocky driving your Torana.. and telling you what to do to make it go faster..... Well i guess we can all dream....

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:52 AM

I don't think Rob needs too much advice on how to make his car go faster, he used to work for Grice, Janson and Cullen.

Great shots.

#25 _73lj202_

_73lj202_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:11 AM

Yeah great shots, I'll see if I can get some reasonably ones. Brocky and the Skyline that was good, wonder how he would have gone in the 1979 recording breaking A/9X??

Remember at one stage (can't remember who's Torrie XU1) going hammer and throat down the main straight with a Mustang, it was one quick XU1.
To see this type of racing was fantastic, heaps better than the V8Supercars IMHO, at least than ran different classes in the one race, not like now!

Was going to go down in my Torrie, but thought it was going to be to HOT, so took the Commo,for the A/C, but it wasn't a bad day heat wise, so was sphewing I didn't now.
Anyway can't wait for another Historic Touring Car event :rockon:

Another website www.vhrr.com.au

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users