30 replies to this topic

#1 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:58 PM

LES, I heard a rumour you guys don't do front spoilers any more for LH LX in 2 piece is that true?

#2 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

did they actually sell them? :blink:
never knew.
how close were they to original?

Edited by gmhgtr, 19 December 2007 - 09:57 PM.

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:00 PM

not too bad, but not as good as the old GS Motor Bodies ones, they were the best aftermarket I have ever seen.

#4 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:30 PM

ive heard that Canberra Auto Styling ones are very good, Wayne told me this (if that name rings a bell hehe)
and i think not so long ago the made new molds off original cars as the old molds have seen better days!

reasonaly priced and fitted like a glove i've heard!.

#5 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:56 PM

I'd like to see that, provided they are actually the right ones unlike some others people have claimed to have been genuine or copies of genuine in the past.

#6 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

LES, I heard a rumour you guys don't do front spoilers any more for LH LX in 2 piece is that true?

We still sell them when we can get them unfortunately we have a back log on fibreglass

#7 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:23 PM

We need some help we want to remake most of our spoilers, flairs, brake scoops in plastic we are having to many problems with the supply of fibreglass. What we need is good original samples , we find it very difficult to get original sample as most people believe they have the correct sample only to find out it is an after market one . Please comment we need some feedback
Les

#8 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

maybe dumb question but were original plastic or fibreglass?

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:21 PM

original are plastic, 2 piece large for LH SLR5000, L34 and A9X, one piece small for LX SLR5000 and SS.

#10 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:01 AM

original are plastic, 2 piece large for LH SLR5000, L34 and A9X, one piece small for LX SLR5000 and SS.

What about the wheel arch flares and the brake scoops are they plastic. Can anyone sell us or lend us front spoilers to use as patterns

#11 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

Plastic one on ebay..for $1000

#12 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

Plastic one on ebay..for $1000

It is impossible to tell if it is genuine or not from the pictures, even though it is made of plastic does not make it genuine as we had plastic aftermarket one at one stage.
I would not pay that amount of money for it anyway.
Les

#13 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

Front A9X Spoiler L34+A9X =plastic
Brake ducts = plastic
All flares L34+A9X =fibreglass
Sedan spoiler L34+A9X+SLR5000 =plastic (thick)
Hatch spoiler =fibreglass
Scoop =fibreglass.

#14 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

http://www.gmh-toran.......st&p=261039

Hi Les, How much would you be expecting to charge for them?

I have considered purchasing or purchased from rare spares over the last 10 years and have the following criticism and appraisals

LX hatch boot seal - fitted well
LX hatch rear spoiler -(concealed bolts/screws) Fitted well

1. GTS/GTR steering wheel - Rim grip is noticeably smaller
2. LC-LJ fuel cap GMH lion insert has a smaller diameter than original
3. LJ reproduction centre consoles are 2 piece and have a noticeable overlapped edge at the join seam around the entire console. Originals are a single moulded item. A friend who is an industrial designer for GM said they are blow moulded.

#15 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

Hi Les, How much would you be expecting to charge for them?

I have considered purchasing or purchased from rare spares over the last 10 years and have the following criticism and appraisals

LX hatch boot seal - fitted well
LX hatch rear spoiler -(concealed bolts/screws) Fitted well

1. GTS/GTR steering wheel - Rim grip is noticeably smaller
2. LC-LJ fuel cap GMH lion insert has a smaller diameter than original
3. LJ reproduction centre consoles are 2 piece and have a noticeable overlapped edge at the join seam around the entire console. Originals are a single moulded item. A friend who is an industrial designer for GM said they are blow moulded.

Thanks for your comments
(How much would you be expecting to charge for them?) I am not sure what parts you are referring to.

1. We are aware there is a size difference with the steering wheel as they are an American import, however once we can finalise the boss and horn cap we will probably make the wheel as per original

2. We had a number of NOS sample of the fuel cap centre that all varied in size we copied one

3. We know that the original console was blow moulded, with the expected sale we did not feel it would have been viable to go to the expense of making the blow mould tooling. Sometimes we have to compromise when making parts or we would not have the part at all. There is and will always be the argument that people will pay more for the correct part, unfortunately there are not too many willing to pay extra.

I hope the answers all your points

#16 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

Hi Les,

I have recieved the lower shifter boots and they look great thank you. I hope to fit one up in the next few weeks.

Regarding the hatch seal, I have a cross section cut for both the original and RS version. They are different.

I will sent you some samples next week when I am back in civilisation.

Cheers

#17 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

Will the fuel cap badge be rectified? I've seen many original ones of all variations 70 lion 2830 etc. and they all had a very tight tolerance fit once fitted to inside the cap. Surely the decision to make them smaller than original wasn't based on cost?

Will current owners of the RSP GTR/GTS steering wheels be able to upgrade (for free or discount) to the correct reproduction wheels when they are developed?

Not being rude but reproductions should be just that. Reproduction replicas of the original product. I understand there is limited market here than compared to the US - But we already pay more for everything than the US (for now) I'm certain that customers would be prepared to pay extra for items that are perfect reproductions rather than "good enough" items that RSP and other companies produce.

If the LX rear quarter repros were made exactly the same then I and many other people would happily pay the extra for them, but they're not available anymore, were they poor quality? and how much would they retail for now given the manufacturers increase.

#18 _conceptss_

_conceptss_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

Also why didn't you make the fuel badges so they'd fit the fuel cap perfectly inside the cap?

#19 _les_

_les_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

Will the fuel cap badge be rectified? I've seen many original ones of all variations 70 lion 2830 etc. and they all had a very tight tolerance fit once fitted to inside the cap. Surely the decision to make them smaller than original wasn't based on cost?

Will current owners of the RSP GTR/GTS steering wheels be able to upgrade (for free or discount) to the correct reproduction wheels when they are developed?

Not being rude but reproductions should be just that. Reproduction replicas of the original product. I understand there is limited market here than compared to the US - But we already pay more for everything than the US (for now) I'm certain that customers would be prepared to pay extra for items that are perfect reproductions rather than "good enough" items that RSP and other companies produce.

If the LX rear quarter repros were made exactly the same then I and many other people would happily pay the extra for them, but they're not available anymore, were they poor quality? and how much would they retail for now given the manufacturers increase.

You misunderstood what I was saying re the fuel cap I was referring to the loin one of which we had NOS that varied in size and we copied one of them. It will be many years before we remake them.

With the steering wheels people have a choice to buy or not to buy; no we will not be replacing the steering wheels

As I said some people will pay extra for the correct product, I am talking 2 to 3 maybe 4 times the price but the majority will not.

Are you are referring to the LX hatch rear quarter panel if so then to remake them as original would involve tooling costs of over $250,000 and I do not think we would make enough to recoup our costs

#20 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

I sold or threw away many of my LX Torana parts and car around 8 years ago as i found it too hard to find parts and people with a similar interest. Thank god for the internet and Rare Spares. I am grateful for anything you guys have a go at. End of Story :D

#21 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 September 2008 - 05:30 PM

I agree ^^^^^^ :clap:

#22 _Barman_

_Barman_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

Just rang brisbane rares and 3 days later spoiler on my door step,
good quality item,its at painter now with my car.

Thanks to John at Brisbane Rarespares great service.
cheers Baz

#23 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

Front A9X Spoiler L34+A9X =plastic
Brake ducts = plastic
All flares L34+A9X =fibreglass
Sedan spoiler L34+A9X+SLR5000 =plastic (thick)
Hatch spoiler =fibreglass
Scoop =fibreglass.

Got it nearly right Baron except L34 originals were plastic except race cars {not easy to tear off in hurry }
and i think H might have cribbed a mm or 2.{flares i am talking about}

Edited by outer control, 03 May 2009 - 08:44 AM.

#24 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

I'd like to see that, provided they are actually the right ones unlike some others people have claimed to have been genuine or copies of genuine in the past.

Can only talk on my experience. Dazza from Qld put me on to Canberra Car Craft styling because Jason D used a replacement flair on his Flaminco sedan and it fitted like a glove.3 years ago i got front spoiler for L34 to put away original plastic one, painted it first and screwed it straight on.Mate who was with me when i fitted it on hoist {L34 owner who retored these cars 20 years ago plus }could not beleive how well they fitted.Even dimples in plastic lined up with factory holes.Have recently purchased 3 more from them for my racecarand for a friends restored A9X sedan and dangerous got one too for glory box.Last week mate bought complete a9x kit for a clone hatch so we will soon see.The reason he did not go rsp is because he took flares home and they varied 2 in from one side to another.
Local club member bought rsp front spoiler for SLR resto and panel shop quoted $600 to modify to fit.Chinese quality of fiberglass is not good.Can only talk of my experience here RED whatever it means.Aussie produced stuff still good as these people understand that people with these cars want quality because of the value of the cars they are going on.Canberras no0262806020
Hope you never need any guys but thats my findings and until i exp otherwise they are the go.They dont do there own brake ducts but get them in.

Edited by outer control, 03 May 2009 - 09:12 AM.

#25 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

Mike Prowse whose job it was to over see the production of the A9Xs told us at a meeting that a lot of the cars left the factory with fiberglass front spoilers because of supply problems .Obviously they had access to fiberglass ones as they used them in racing program.

Edited by outer control, 03 May 2009 - 09:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users