Photo

Some Photos of an Extremely Historical LC!

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#76 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:15 PM

In Harry firth Torana the great HDT Book
Harry says The Saggy Sarah Car went to Speed way and now no longer exits
So Does it or Harry wrong or right etc.

#77 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:52 AM

did you read the previous 3 pages ?

#78 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

Update time please this thread was started a year ago so where are things at nowis it painted? has it been raced?

#79 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

Update time please this thread was started a year ago so where are things at nowis it painted? has it been raced?

Million dollar question If he was to paint it what war paint would he paint it?

Car has not been painted or raced
Here is a pic from Phillip Island last month
Posted Image

Edited by LC69GTR, 27 April 2009 - 01:06 PM.

#80 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

did you read the previous 3 pages ?

I did,but i only read the other Players from HDT saying it is,Nothing from Harry Firth,
What has Harry Said,as harry seen the car.I Quoted what harry said in his magazine.
Its awesome this car come up,The 28c HDT XU-1,No.1 HDT XU-1,and the rebuilt 24c HDT XU-1
So why wouldent the LJ XU-1 Prototypes not turn up one day,Joe Car would of if not stolen from
Bundoora in Vic in 1985. ?????????????????And if Ex race and rally HDT Cars turn up,then a Ex GMH
LJ XU-1 Prototype might to.

#81 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

I say paint it the Original Colour or its Rally Colour from the HDT Days

#82 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:24 PM

I say paint it the Original Colour or its Rally Colour from the HDT Days

Green or yellow or ?
Posted Image

Edited by LC69GTR, 27 April 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#83 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:46 PM

I dont care what colour you paint or to what era the car gets restored to just as long as it doesn't end up on static display, I look forward to one day seeing this car roar down the front straight the would be pilot bracing himself for braking into turn one...

All the best regards cruiza

#84 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:01 AM

see what happens when you dont look at an old thread for a long time .......there's interest !!
to be honest i have just been too busy for a number of months looking after daz's estate and the sale of his car etc. , which by the way has gone to a great home..a really enthusiastic family who will take this car to the next level.
so now its time for saggy to get some of my undivided attention , well in between the other projects that is !
since phillip island i did manage to do some rust repair to the sill panel on the pass. side , some of the old repairs go back to the green paint , so to the janson ownership and some from the watt/burgess era.....the grey primer patch is now back to blue and white but only up to the multi-colours ! so it looks a little tidier.
on the monday after clipsal i was fortunate to have colin bond at home for a couple of hours looking at the car and discussing its history and amazing collective of driveline components. there is a lot of the rallycross car in this old girl which was not lost on colin , he even checked to make sure there had'nt been radiators in the boot or side scoops ! colin had the rallycross car in sydney for quite a time when he ran it at the catalina series in a naturally aspirated format.
when i first spoke to him a couple of years ago i asked him what colour he thought the car should be painted, back then he said green as it had won a lot more as the green car and done so much more than it had achieved as the yellow touring car.
after looking at the car he asked me what i thought i would do with it , what colour or format would i choose ? ..i spoke of our previous conversation and that he had suggested green....his response was yes it did win a lot as the rally car but it probably had more impact as the touring car because that is what more people remember......so yellow would be his considered choice after seeing the car in the flesh !
also interestingly he mentioned that they HDT had taken one of the green rally cars to new zealand for the heatway rally but was'nt sure if it was mine or BOI-812.
he is a great guy and was very interested in the other old race cars as well and make no mistake he is interested in all forms of the automotive hobby.
but in the end i had to take him back to town .... the '56 chevy had a famous passenger that day !

cheers .....laz

(gary(lc69gtr) if you have the pics of bondy and the car you can post them, if not send me an email as i dont have your email on my new computer)

#85 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

Green or yellow or ?
Posted Image

As Miss Piggy Says Green's Nice,LOL
I say Green or Yellow,as they were its Colour's in its early HDT Days

#86 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

(gary(lc69gtr) if you have the pics of bondy and the car you can post them, if not send me an email as i dont have your email on my new computer)

Here u go
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#87 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

Must have been great to have Colin around. He was a legend, a real quiet achiever. Loved watching him race the car at Warwick Farm when I was a kid.

Edited by oz772, 30 April 2009 - 06:26 AM.

#88 _cruiza_

_cruiza_
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

after looking at the car he asked me what i thought i would do with it , what colour or format would i choose ? ..i spoke of our previous conversation and that he had suggested green....his response was yes it did win a lot as the rally car but it probably had more impact as the touring car because that is what more people remember......so yellow would be his considered choice after seeing the car in the flesh !
also interestingly he mentioned that they HDT had taken one of the green rally cars to new zealand for the heatway rally but was'nt sure if it was mine or BOI-812.

3 or 4 years ago I knew a guy in NZ who had a genuine ex-HDT XU-1 (green) the car was built as a spare race car for Bathurst should a car be damaged in Practise but was not needed and sold unraced. It was sold 3 years ago not sure were too but was in AS NEW contidion

Edited by cruiza, 30 April 2009 - 08:05 AM.

#89 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:25 PM

thanks to gary....69lcgtr some footage of saggy at the national motor museum on youtube try these .

http://www.youtube.c...tch?=HUIGP2dPjA
=w9HJxzZpPk

laz

#90 LC69GTR

LC69GTR

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

No thank you Larry for letting me put them up to share with all
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=w9HJxzZfpPk

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HUIGP2_dPjA
Also thanks to Barry

#91 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:07 PM

hi there folks, just an update on what has happened with the old girl. as per the thread in gen discussion i took saggy back to sandown for the 40th aniversary of the dealer team. as the pics appear in the other thread i have done a little body and paint.
i chose to paint the rhs in the bruce watt paint scheme from when he sold the car, half XU1 / half L34 in style in fact. the reaction from the dealer team guys was exceptional with all including harry giving there approval. harry was only too happy to sign the car and proudly finished it with 'watty's car'.
on sunday we eventually got a 'parade'lap for all the display cars and i can happily say that saggy got a lap at sandown. first time in about 27 years in fact and as shaun said to me it is the best seat in the house , so with that done there will be more to come !!

cheers laz

#92 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

Love the new paint set up Sagman,great combo i think you have come up withPosted Image

#93 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Saggy breaths fire at Sandown Historics.
R
Posted Image

#94 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:19 AM

howdy folks,so many questions but good to see the interest...i'll start here..the car is not the beast mk 1,but it does have a lot of the components that were on that car. some are still on the engine, some have remained with the car in the parts box. the blower is not the one from KLD-158,that is in ian tate's posession. i have a letter from peter brock to the previous owner in which pb says that the idler pulley and other components look to be as he remembered,but the blower had 'finer'ribs on the casing than the one on the car now.
the car is currently logged and has been since 1976 when it was bought from janson by alan lukins...in a deal with another hdt car which was also owned by janson at the time, ' saggy sarah' (which janson named the car,not bruce watt)made its way to bruce watt and nick burgess who turned the car into a sports sedan. the pic of the car earlier in this thread as a blue and white car is as it was in 1978( note the cams stamp on the edge of the pic). part of this paint scheme remains intact under the left rear flare!
the registration no recorded in the log book from this period is BJD-440...now if you read the '74 giant killers article'four long years ago' it gives a mostly correct history of BJD-440,..'started life as the 10th xu1 produced and was given suitable legal tuning, then as a holden dealer team entry in the 1970 sandown 250 and later the hardie ferodo 500 at bathurst' it was driven at both events by colin bond'....the car also did lakeside,oran park and the winton 1500 with bond at the wheel, add a night meeting at oran park with bob morris at the wheel. that's 1970.
the thing that is not correct in the article is that is says the car stayed in sydney and was used in some early '71 races. incorrect because in jan. '71 this car was competing in the new caledonian safari. george shepheard has confirmed this as BJD-440 was " made from col's old bathurst car,that's our first rally car. the girl's car became BOI-812 our second one"
the car was painted green when it was converted to the rally format prior to noumea.... this was confirmed by george shepheard,colin bond,barry ferguson,joe felice and peter janson.....others who have contributed to the history "hunt" are .........peter byrne, graham alexander,of course ian tate and frank lowndes who have both verified the car( frank has also checked the log book), wayne mahnken, ian splatt,don grant,craig bowring,jim middleton, daz who has had several discussions with HF about the car. also max stahl and ray berghouse for there assistance and david blanche(autopics)
the car is also the one in the movie about hdt,' when your hot your hot' and is on the cover of the 'LC' issue of AMC,flying through the air with all 6 lights ablaze!
the info. i have been able to get from publications of the day has been priceless, Racing Car News, giant killers,the history of holden in motorsport,auto action which contained an add from 1983 that michael tate found when bruce watt had the car for sale( it had the red and white dealer team inspired paint at this point)
i hope this will answer some of the questions and give you some insight as to the amount of research that has been done, i've only told you about the race history to jan '71.......it has around 100,000 racing miles on it !
cheers for now laz

talking to a friend today ( alan lukins ) who lives here in newcasle about the car when he got from janson. small world ah. just love these old stories.his name is second on the cams book.

#95 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:20 PM

hi folks, a bit of an update on 'saggy' ..... she is now painted all over !, as per the pics in the phillip island thread in gen discussion.
there may be some pics up in this thread shortly , so bear with me.......got some laps in at P.I., 8 in all and want to do a lot more !

in the end i chose the bruce watt '83 paint scheme, red and white..sort of half XU1 and half SLR/5000 and early L34.
bruce asked joe felice if he could paint the car in red and white and joe said 'don't make it the same as the '72/3 cars as we never raced this one in that livery '....... so this was the end result.

i changed a couple of little things like adding a fuel filler neck and cap in the back , which had been filled many years ago , shortening the front splitter and shortening the bonnet stripe to put the old girl's name on it.

it was important to retain as many of the changes the car has seen over the last 40 years in the hands of the various owners plus add a few of my own.

in the true tradition of the car's paint history i painted it over the top of the old paint , just like all have in the past.

cheers for now laz

#96 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

And Some Pictures...

Larry... Amazing mate, Simply Awesome!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#97 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:25 PM

And Some Pictures...

Larry... Amazing mate, Simply Awesome!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

HHMMM & sitting right next to it is 1 very sweet Lancia Stratos = Pure Monster of a car...

#98 sagman

sagman

Forum Fan

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:55 PM

and the lancia was the real deal too !....we had to push the car to shift it as the owner went awol when we needed to shift it....
said to ian tate as we pushed it ,'hope no-one takes a pic of us touching a non torana , better make sure we wash our hands after !!'

thanks tiny.............laz

#99 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

My pleasure mate! Always happy to help! :)

#100 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:00 PM

And THE photo!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users