Stub Axles

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _HQ SS_

_HQ SS_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

Can anyone here help me with some disc stub axle's I have.
They have these numbers on them.
GM 42925/ GM 42926
Holden 42925/ Holden 42926
Holden 163p/ Holden 164p
GM 163p / GM 164p
and it is either 40812 or 49812on the last one.
I also have HR disc stubs
After making a jig up and taking photos of them all on the jig.
It looks like they are all the same except the last one and the HR one (which I know are different from all other stubs).
I have read on the net that LC thru to UC use the same stub axles, if this is true it will account for the different numbers on what is basically the same part.
The problem I have with this is that there should then only be two types of stub to suit the smaller 255 mm rotors .
Those being 1 to suit HR and 1 to suit Torana but I have three types of stub axles.
I can post photos if needed to show the differences.
Thanks in advance Paul.

#2 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 12:57 AM

Photos would help but I have quite a few in the shed I can check tomorrow.

I have some UC's,LJ's,HX's and HZ (all disc brake) ones I can check.

M@

#3 _HQ SS_

_HQ SS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

I have put some of the photos here.
http://s174.photobuc...105/HQ_SS/Tech/
If you save and then view the pictures in order with a picture program like Irfanview (free off the net) you can view the picture in fullscreen mode. I then scroll backwards and forwards thru the pics and the differences stand out.
I have used these three stub axles because apart from some core shift, all the other number variations seem to be the same basic stub axle.
Which in the case of the pictures is stub axle gm 163p.
Thanks for the reply Paul.

Edited by HQ SS, 07 January 2008 - 10:11 PM.

#4 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:31 PM

G'day Paul,

I believe you are right when you say all models of Toranas have interchangeable stub axles even thought the castings are slightly different.

Both set of UC stubs I have here say Holden 163P and 164P.

I have been told that HR stubs are very similar to Torana ones, but have 7 degree KPI - I have never actually checked though because I don't have any here. I must admit I can't see that difference in your pics but 2 degrees is not very much.

I couldn't actually see the number on my LJ or LX front ends because they are still complete - including 30 years of dirt and grease. The numbers must be on the side against the brake backing plate because I couldn't see them - I would have to pull them all apart and clean them up - I won't have time do do that for a while so maybe someone else has a set of those to check.

The other stubs I have here from the HZ stato and the HX 1 Tonner look physically different to those you have there - the axle is about 25mm higher than the Torana ones.

The Stato stubs are numbered Holden 20996 &20997.
The 1Tonner stubs don't have any numbers, just GM and AF in a circle thingy.

Those first 2 in your photos definately look like Torana stubs to me.

Hope that helps.

M@

#5 _HQ SS_

_HQ SS_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:47 PM

Thanks for the help. At least you have confirmed that most of the stubs are Torana. I meant to say last night that the main difference I could see in the first Three pictures (front view) is where the location of the top caliper bolt is. The UC stub is in a different location to the 49812 stub and the HR stub.
Which to me means that the 49812 is a slightly different stub to the Torana stubs.
In the second batch of pictures (side view) There is a very slight KPI difference between pic one and pic two and the HR stub has a larger difference in KPI as you stated which is more noticeable. Just looking at the pictures it did not really stand out. I only noticed the difference by being able to flick between the pictures.
I have thought of another possible way of identifying the stub.
It has a steering arm that came with it, the number on that is
Holden 5054.
I have some pictures of the arm.
Photobucket is doing maintenance so I uploaded them here instead
http://gallery.oldho...h/HR Front end/
They are near the center of the page.
Thanks again Paul.

#6 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

Those steering arms are LC/LJ.

My LJ ones have Holden 5053 and 5054 for LH and RH respectively.

That funny bend and the lack of steering stop on the steering arm are a giveaway as well.

M@

#7 _HQ SS_

_HQ SS_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:09 PM

Thanks Toranamat69. So it looks like from what I originally thought were a mixture of HK-G, HQ-Z, (Which I have now been told are the same just different part numbers)
LC-LJ and LH-LX stub axles .
I now know that I just have a lot of Torana stub axles that I do not need.
Thanks again for the help Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users