Gemini Coupe Rebuild!!!

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:18 PM

Haha hey guys, I know I know is a little 4cylinder but it is still a Members project and I bet 80% of you have owned one and have a soft spot for the little buggers

Probly easier to just link to my existing thread on my clubs page for now, If I dont get flamed to hell Ill post updates on here haha

Gems WA - Clints Coupe

Enjoy :)

#2 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:35 AM

Good point on the members project. Gems are beaut cars, you know i never owned one?

#3 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:47 AM

apart from work utes I have never owned a 4 cyl, know a lot of people who owned one however..... put some pics up here

#4 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:05 AM

Hey that's great! I have owned a couple over the years, all be it
for very short periods of time!

A surprise surprise.... yellow coupe, with blue stripes down the side,
ah-lah Sandman - Piper or Beach Comber? and an aquarius Blue SLE.
That was a beaut. Very well spec'd. Both coupes.

Great little cars. With sticky tyres, and lowering they have a great p2weight
with the larger engine.

Look forward to your build. Rover V8 eh?!!

- Leakey

#5 _j7723_

_j7723_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

Good work we all start some were I had a gem coupe as my first car and made it 2 street machine mag (few years back) but alot of fun it was pink and white back when pink was hot good luck with it all

Jeremy

#6 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for the positive comments guys :) I actually just brought this coupe as a cheap runabout while I build my Torana... but hah as you can see the bug bit hard here too and turned into its own project (knew I shoulda bought a pulsar lol)

Been playing around with the rover v8 and it fits in the bay nicely only problem is f*ckall room for exhaust, Will have to go for custom extractors for sure, all up would be around 6k to get it in and running so its been put off for awhile.

The turbo 4 should give it enough mumbo to be respectable :) well off I go to do some more work on it....

#7 Gump

Gump

Paisty White

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Name:Russell
  • Car:LX SL hatch

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

got to love the little gemini's girlfriend has a gypsy panel van to be built after the gtr is done.

hope the build goes well and easy (cheaply would be good to)

gump

#8 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:11 PM

Been playing around with the rover v8 and it fits in the bay nicely only problem is f*ckall room for exhaust, Will have to go for custom extractors for sure, all up would be around 6k to get it in and running so its been put off for awhile.

The cast iron manifolds didn't fit?

#9 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:07 PM

Oh yea never got around to Pm'n you... Nope the cast manifolds dumped right where the stock engine mounts bolt onto the crossmember so no good there...

I need to get hold of a dellow bellhousing so I can see how much I can lift the motor before the bellhousing hits the tunnel.. The higher I can have the motor the better in reguards to the exhaust

Actually I need to pm you about something

#10 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

There are different types of cast manifolds.
Range Rover go straight down but SD1 are different. They have an extension on them that goes backwards.

#11 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2008 - 01:46 AM

Thought Id jus throw up some pics on here to save people having to click on the GemsWA link...

PLANS:
-Replace Ignition with Pushbutton Start
-Smoothed Lock holes, Aerial Hole & Engine Bay
-Hide Wiring & Move Battery To The Boot
-Flared Guards
-Front Spoiler
-Bonnet Struts
-Smooth Body Seams
-Diff Work (Possible Plans are Full spool, 28 Spline Axels, Strenghtened Torque Tube and H/Dute TT Mount But still researching)
-Hopper Stoppers Brakes on the Front and VN commodore Discs on the Rear
-2.3L GT28BB Turbo, FMIC, Gemracing Intake & Exhaust Manifolds -Full specs Later-
-Oh yea painting it too! Either that new Holden Green or Mazda Winning Blue
-Retrim Interior, Undecided on what im doing there yet
-Oh and most importantly going to investigate in fitting Cup Holders in the dash! ones that like retract into the dash and mount flush

In all her glory before I hit a pole :)
Posted Image

Just after I hit the pole :(
Posted Image

How she was just before I stripped her
Posted Image

Engine bay before I started
Posted Image

Getting started on hiding the wiring... At this point I was wondering what I got myself into!
Posted Image

Turbo Dummy fit
Posted Image

Cancer starting to attack my floor pan!
Posted Image

Retaliated with Grinder and wire wheel
Posted Image

Well Ive all but finished hidding the wiring from the engine bay, Routed it through the chassis rails and out under the guards... Turned out pretty neat I reakon :)

Where I entered the chassis rail through the floor pan on the passenger side:
Posted Image

And where it exited the chassis under the guard. (sorry bad pic) Relocated the horn to here and mounted the headlight relays there too...
Posted Image

Pretty much exactly the same on the drivers side just didnt get pics... Just need to route the EFI wiring and then I can move onto smoothing the engine bay and filling all the un-needed holes :D

Edited by Viper, 10 January 2008 - 02:00 AM.

#12 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 10 January 2008 - 02:11 AM

Do some work on the Torry. Your as bad as me with my Statesman. :P

#13 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

Ooops Forgot to update here, Heres my progress over the last week or so...

Engine Being Evicted
Posted Image

My Canvas
Posted Image

Battery In the boot (dw the mount for the battery is being replaced with a propper oddysee weld in battery mount, made specifically for this battery)
Posted Image

Front Apron removed and bay stripped of peripherals
Posted Image

Half way there (this part was not fun!)
Posted Image

Hah Landcruiser dwarfs the Gemi!
Posted Image

My new motor! Barely 1Manpower and runs on Pure hungry jacks!
Posted Image

Front end out, lookin abit dirty after about 6months in service since rebuild
Posted Image

Pretty much all stripped!
Posted Image

Intercooler mounted :)
Posted Image

Holes all welded up
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And thats about where Im up to atm... All the welds have been ground back and ready for primer and a little bit of filler!

#14 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 January 2008 - 11:03 PM

Looks very trick actually. interested in seeing how the bay turns out :)

#15 _cal-a-kid_

_cal-a-kid_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:56 AM

Looking good! I love gemini coupes. They are such sexy little cars. You should throw a CA in it! or better yet, an rb :-D Keep up the good work mate!

Dean

#16 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

Finished grinding down all the welds, rust proofed it all and got it in primer, yay!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My new remote shifter arrived today also :) looks like it will work well, anyone who's familular with Gemini's will know they got an awful shifter position and a huge throw.. this brings the shifter to a better position and shortens the throw considerably :)

Posted Image

#17 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:30 PM

rust proofed it all and got it in primer, yay!

engine bay looks great! what did you use to rust proof it? also, i noticed in a previous photo you filled a square hole? did you weld all around it and grind it back or do you just plan to seam fill it?

cheers

#18 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

Por15 on all the welds on the opposite side, Then since the bay was in bare metal for a few days I used the wire wheel again to remove any surface rust I could see then use a Rust Treatment/converter on the whole bay just in case... Then painted in primer...

RE the square hole, just did the spot welds that you can see in the pic, grinded the welds flush and will use filler to make it all smooth, The POR15 actually has excellent build properties and when I applied it from the inside it filled the small gaps that was left..

This is the first time Ive done anything like this, I donno if its the best way but Hopefully works.... Its what I was told to do anyway

#19 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2008 - 10:21 PM

Ooops Forgot to Update on here... I had to go back to work so needed to stop where I was and put it back together...

Here's that remote shifter installed, Much better then the stocker... about 1/3rd less travel and alot better position
Posted Image

And couple pics of the engine bay with just the N/A Motor fitted.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats pretty much all that goes in the bay, The header tank will be relocated to the rear left corner of the bay (mounted on the guard) and another polished alloy tank will be mounted on the opposite side for the windscreen squirters... Oh and the Turbo and cooler pipes of course :D

The wiring for the motor comes out of the firewall at the rear of the motor (barely visable) and a couple wires at the very front for the headlights...

Still abit of filling left to get it all perfect, and Gas struts to be fitted... but im pretty happy with it :D

#20 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

So you did all that work and then had to put the motor back in so you could drive again?

I remember doing crazy stuff like that, your a legend. Keep posting pictures.

#21 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

Yeh! :( Didnt get to fill all the welds and stuff, but I can still get to 90% of it while the motors in..

Will continue on the body work at nights and just seal it with matt black, so slowly the whole car will be matt black... And the turbo will be setup as well and once the whole cars running perfect, will strip it back to a shell and lay some paint down and re-assemble... Then just enjoy it I hope!

#22 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

Clint your nuts :)

But hey your doing a good job. Put some picks up of how much work has been done on the torry :P

#23 _TUFF_

_TUFF_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:48 PM

Looks like i'm not the only one with a Gemini... Afew weeks ago i bought a TD Station wagon... Stock as a rock.. she will be my new daily... they are a fun little car and there is always heaps of parts around!!!

Cheers

Josh

#24 Ljsrule

Ljsrule

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • Car:LJ 2 door

Posted 25 February 2008 - 12:38 AM

Here's my current ride. I guess Torana's & Gemini's aren't a bad pairing.
Just couldn't do that to my LJ.

cheers
Scott

Posted Image

#25 _Brewster_

_Brewster_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:18 PM

Great little cars. With sticky tyres, and lowering they have a great p2weight
with the larger engine.

My mate took the springs out of his gemini, and the car sat on the bump stops. It was a stock auto and at the time, we lived in Mount Dandenong VIC. I kid you not, this car kept up with 2 RGV 250's up the mountain hwy, foot flat to the floor, no brakes and my fat arse in it, tje car handled like an F1! It was awesome! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users