Gemini Coupe Rebuild!!!

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#26 _lxefi304_

_lxefi304_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:05 PM

good ol gemmy's gotta love em. it looks 2 b comming along nice. ive had 2 tg's
both on bumpstops :spoton: i gotta do a head on my friends te on the weekend its a 2cyl atm.

#27 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2008 - 07:20 PM

Woo Some of you may know I was planning to fit a 3.5L Rover Alloy V8 to the lil gem, but I had already invested so much money in the turbo gear and I would lose it all if i went for the V8... But a mate of mine said he wants to go turbo so I proposed he buy all my stuff for what I paid for it (is all brand new)

Hopefully he does and I can go straight for the V8 :D

#28 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:44 AM

Maybe you should just finish the bloody thing first before worrying about engine swaps.

#29 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

Finish? When is a car ever finished? And I goto decide what motor im using and have it all fitted before I can complete the body work and paint it...

What I did wrong with my Torana... Painted it first... then later found I needed to modify stuff.

No good painting the car then having to chop bits up now is there

#30 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:32 PM

fair enough! when will you know if ya can get that V8 in there or not? that thing would fly!

Ben

#31 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

Heh After fitting the new custom clutch and figured I better "Test" It I Blew the Torque Tube apart and damaged the diff :/

Posted Image

What was left of the Torque Tube... Dam I hate those thing, Gimme upper trailing arms any day!
Posted Image

And Twisted Axels:
Posted Image

I actually Already had a Strengthened Torque Tube, just never got around to fitting it... Here's a comparison to a stock one, also shown is the Heavy Duty Torque Tube rubber.
Posted Image

But thats all fixed, Put the spare diff I had in and fitted the Strenghtend Torque Tube + Rubber :)

Since Then I fitted a Universal Power window kit :D Works a treat...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Horay For easter Holz :D Made a start on the panel work over the last 2 days, Almost got the 2 front guards done..

Spare guard I had just as I started:
Posted Image

After I sanded it back and layed down some Etch primer and doing abit of filling:
Posted Image

Bit of rust to be cut out and fixed up in the bottom left cnr of the Drivers guard:
Posted Image

And layed down a couple of coats of Black, just to keep the Rust bunnies away while I slowly get the rest of the car ready for paint (is my daily driver so I goto do it bit by bit) I was actually suprised how good it turned out, Just used pressure pack cans... if it didnt splatter and shit it woulda turned out mint..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Is good that im covering in black first as it shows every little defect and I actually found 2 very shallow dents that I totally missed before hand :)

Will do the Front apron and maybe the bonnet tommorow :D

#32 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Love your work!
Nice blow up on the torque tube! :spoton:

#33 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

nice work, coming along nicely, you will still find that the strengthened torque tube shaft will still twist, i went through 4 of them before i gave up

#34 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:25 PM

Axels will be the weak link now :( And Gearbox...

Working on both issues atm, Diff is the main problem... Well its easy to fix with a full spool, but getting it legal is another question. Talking to an engineer and hopefully finding a way to legally fit a Hilux diff.

#35 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

Nice work Clint. Guards look good. :)

#36 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

Heh well as some would know I snapped my custom Remote shifter at the drags on wednesday night... I managed to salvage what was left of it and ended up being a Super short shifter... Turned out pretty good actually, I like it better then before :) And hopefully because I wont have as much leverage and I didnt drill the hole as large it wont snap this time!

Before:
Posted Image

Broken:
Posted Image

Now:
Posted Image

Ill polish it all up to a mirror shine later when I can be ass'ed

#37 _SLR_6_

_SLR_6_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

thats a neat setup with the shifter, i always hated the shifter in my old gemini.

what size rims are you running?

the reason i ask is because i reckon thats why you copped the problems with ur diff.

if you have just stepped up a few inches in rim size, you may need to go for a shorter diff ratio or better diff altogether.

i had a datsun stanza and my when it needed new tyres my mates thought 15in toyota rims looked good,
then 10min later, 1st burnout attempt and bang... snapped the axles,
next day we got some axles in and we were ready to go, this time we spent an hour on the dirt,
then went to lay some rubber on some backroads... BANG... the diff blew this time...
welded the diff, put the original rims back on and it was fine :blink:

Edited by SLR_6, 28 March 2008 - 03:52 PM.

#38 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

There 17's with 215's and yea larger rims and the wider rubber have better traction so easier to brake stuff as it takes more force to break traction...

But yep Im looking into getting a Hilux diff fitted, just goto sort of with the engineer how to do it legally as there is no way to fit upper trailing arms and Have to fabricate a single control arm but needs to act exactly like the stock Torque Tube in order to get it passed.. Got a few ideas tho :)

Edited by Viper, 28 March 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#39 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

Hey guys, Getting some more practice in with the panel n paint :) Did the bonnet altho Im not happy with it and Ive also been learning to polish alloy as well :D

Heh A truck also flicked up a big rock which hit my windscreen and it shatterd shortly after... as you can see in one of the pics... But I knew coupe windscreens were rare So I had a spare one at home ready and quicky swapped it over :)

Posted Image

Posted Image
You can see the windscreen all shatterd in this pic, just waiting to fall into a thousand peices :)

Posted Image

Here's a montage of before and after shots of that intake :)
Posted Image

#40 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:48 AM

You have sweet f*ck all luck with things dont you mate!!

Looks like it could have been a bit worse if the rock came through the window! how far rom home were ya?

Everything else looks pretty top knotch, Musnt be easy to use it as a daily driver as well as a project car!

#41 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

heh well is sposed to just be a daily while I work on the Torana project car... but what can I say... its a addiction... and well thers no Gemini's anonomous :/

Was only about 10 mins from home... jus took it easy and made it ok... but yea woulda been alot worse if it blew to peices at speed!

#42 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

Time for an update... slooowly getting there.

Finished the polishing on the intake:
Posted Image
Lower half is being ceramic coated at a later stage, mainly cos its jus too much of a pain to polish and will be coverd but all the bits anyway... but yea mainly cos im lazy

Also polished the Master cylinder for the hoppers kit:
Posted Image

Posted Image

As well as the GT28 Turbo compressor housing:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fitted the Hoppers Kit:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Picked up my new mags:
Posted Image

Cleaned up and detailed the block:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Head studs arrived yesterday:
Posted Image

And dummy fitted the intake and exhaust:
Posted Image

Posted Image

And thats about where Im up to :D orderd a pair of Federal Semi Slick tyres for the fronts and a adjustable rear sway bar...

Waiting for Romac to re-open so I can order my full spool and fit the 28spline commo axels and commodore discs :)

Lots to do... untill next time :)

#43 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 12:33 PM

Just a little hint, don't hold your breath waiting for Romac... They've sold the division of their business which made the spools, and at this stage no-one knows if/when things will come back into production.

Otherwise its looking good dude.

#44 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

Yea ya told me that :) been keeping tabs on it and apparently their (company that bought it) sorting their shit out and are due to be back in production end of june early july

#45 MODNIZD

MODNIZD

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Name:Phil
  • Car:4 Door LC RB25DET

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

Mad Clint. Have to pop over soon and catch up. Been ages mate!

#46 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

Hah been awhile but have had alot of progress on the little Coupe...

Intercooler was a tight squeeze.
Posted Image

3" Exhaust I made myself with the Mig and a box of Mandrel bends and some pipe :)
Posted Image

Some door trims I made up
Posted Image

Posted Image

Diff, converted to commo 5-stud, disc brakes, locked center, Lowered springs and adjustable sway bar
Posted Image

Posted Image

Got the car back from Rage Racing last wednesday. got a LPG Injection system fitted, Made 170rwhp but had clutch issues and was slipping, he thinks is closer to 190-200rwhp which aint bad in a 900kg car! Runs awesome and is certainly a handful! but handles awesomely as well, got some semi-slicks for the front and decent tyres to the rear.... easy to get it sideways but very easy to control also.

V6 Commo Coil packs
Posted Image

50L LPG Tank
Posted Image

Engine bay pics:
Posted Image

Posted Image

#47 clarky9999

clarky9999

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Name:Andrew

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

Looks good mate, where did you get that shifter or did you make it yourself??

Cheers

Clarky

#48 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

Awesum work dood !!,
That Gemini looks sweet as!! Congrats on the power figures too!, Thats very impressive!

Ev

#49 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:18 AM

Holy shit that car has come a long way. Plenum is to die for

Any chance of a tech article on the door trims? lol
And what did you do to 'detail' your engine block? Cleaned up some areas with a grinder or something i'm guessing?

Cheers

#50 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

That shifter I originally got from a guy from the east, but can easily make one myself now ive seen it... Ive snapped this one twice now tho! it was only made from alloy and the hole through the main shaft creates a major weak point... If I was to re-make it id make it out of Stainless steel and brace that section. But Ill be fitting a larger/stronger gbox in the future which has a remote shifter built in so wont need it.

Yea heath, I actually still need to do the passenger side door trim so Ill do a writeup when I get around to it :)

And nah didnt do too much to the block, just cleaned off the old paint and gave it a respray... but have to be very careful with oil leaks on a white block haha.

My friend has a 4ZC1-T in his gem with 160rwhp and ran a 13.8 on his everyday tyres so I cant wait for the drag season to re-open!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users