#1 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:12 AM

Am looking at getting some material to retrim but am not sure if this is actually chamois. It is a light color at the moment but seems to be greyish as was often seen in HX era holdens. Any light on this will help make sure it doesnt end up the wrong colour. It is an L31 76 ss hatch if this makes any difference. Thanks in advance.

#2 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:37 AM

60..anything is chamois and whatever insert option.

So yes you are correct it is chamois

#3 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:11 AM

Thanks Boomfunk. Sent you pm - the A mean anything in particular?- its the insert that I'm looking at first.

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,267 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

Hi Guys

1918 = Royal Plum exterior
60A = Chamois vinyl interior (plain, no insert).

Dr Terry.

#5 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

Dr Terry.

60A Sl = plain vinyl insert.
60A SLR/SS =golfball vinyl insert

variations within models too or have I missed something :D

Cheers

#6 _purpleLC_

_purpleLC_
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

Sorry to thread steal, but kind of trim would
60B in a SS Hatch be?

Cheers Louie

#7 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

chevron insert is 60b

#8 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:58 AM

yep as boomfunk said 60b is chamois with cloth chevron insert. try finding it I know I cant!!

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:10 PM

It's called Herringbone not chevron. It just looks like chevrons, ie: Sergeants stripes.

#10 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:22 PM

Are you sure RED?

Everyone I have spoken to about this in the motor trim trade seem to know it a chevron also. I have herringbone in my other car and that is black and white sargent stripes where 60b is a smaller heringbone pattern but in one creamy/gold sort of colour. I can send pics to you if you like as I dont know how to post them properly here.

I'm not doubting you AS YOU DO KNOW YOUR STUFF but it contradicts everyone elses opinion on what it is called.

#11 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

yeah its chevron... i have been dealing with a customer with a 1 owner vehicle that has chevron... 60B

different to herringbone,

very hard to get

#12 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:36 PM

just to add to ^^ i dont no what the codes are for herringbone, but chevron fabric is hard to explain what it looks like..i guess its similar to herringbone but alot smaller stripes and its all one colour

the customers samples that i have here and also a suppliers sample was in chamois but they did also come in other colours...never seen other colours

fairly popular but havent been able to get any..well that is correct

TRIM CODES

GMH TRIM CODE TRIM CODE
CHARMOIS 60A * / 60B ** 17053 / 17214
FLAX XS5 *
SIENNA 65A * / 65B **
SLATE BLACK 18V * / 18X ***
TAN 67V * / 67Y ** 17057 / 17117
* VINYL, ** CHEVRON, *** RANIER

#13 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

apparently someone who had there interior done by garry at eastern has stated that the ranier is the herringbone....

that would solve all the confusion by everybody...

Edited by boomfunk, 15 January 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#14 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

The problem is, there are several variations of the cloth inserts across the models, not just Torana's. The factory cloth insert trims in LH and LX were Houndstooth and Herringbone, but dealers fitted other things, including the "lovely" fashion packs.

#15 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:53 PM

red...

you ever seen herringbone fitted with chamois?

i honestly only ever seen it fitted to slate, which would make those trim codes correct

if ranier is herringbone then it was only ever fitted to slate or black

so going back to the original 60B, is chevron, which was fitted to different colours

going on by what people have seen and what codes are is making alot of sense

yes we no there was some people who had special orders but that doesnt change what was standard

Edited by boomfunk, 15 January 2008 - 05:53 PM.

#16 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

I have seen a chamois SS hatch with chaois trim, original factory with herringbone trim. I will double check my info when I get home in a month.

#17 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:35 PM

that would be interesting, i guess the thing would be the trim code, i mean you can obviously get it done by a trimmer but leaving the factory is what are after

i bet its 60B and they couldnt find the chevron so they replaced it with herringbone as its available

ranier is herringbone

chevron is obviously chevron

if i get a chance tommorow i will post up a pic of the chevron so you can see the diff between that and herringbone

Not many people have actualy seen chevron..just heard about it,

#18 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:08 PM

i should have added that you can get special order from factory... even today you can walk into holden and get something that is not standard

But there was only standard factory interior colours and combo's the rest was special order or something that was done after it left that factory

we are looking at standard factory trim codes here, the standard factory trim codes do NOT show chamois with herringbone

so if we could keep it to standard factory trim codes which what are talking about and not what someone has either got done by a trimmer or a special order then it would lessen the confussion

#19 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Hey Boomfunk. Do you know of any other models that have chevron? for instance hz gts or similar. thsi may help me locate some material to retrim my slr with.

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

I'm just wondering where exactly in any parts book, or brochures etc it mentions any of the inserts, be it chevron, Herringbone, houndstooth or any other insert mentioned? The parts books only mention the codes and specify cloth insert, the brochures mention the insert and show a picture (herrigbone in the LX sports brochure) and it says, "showing optional cloth insert" or something along those lines. Yes you can order things different today from Holden still, as long as it's in their parts inventry and it is available on that model of car. You can't get as an example a new SS with hot pink pokodot inserts unless it's available through Holden. You can get the dealer to fit anything you like. Even in the case of HSV's, the trim tags don't always match the car because it's done outside the factory. Early stroked 5.0l cars ie VR GTS all read auto or 5 speed on the tag, yet the stroked versions were 6 speeds and auto's because that modification was done outside the Holden factory. If a car was to leave the factory with something really odd, it would be a one off, prepared for someone in the know or high up. A good example would be the Wayne Negus hatch with trim code SVO because the car was hand built after work hours.

#21 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:27 AM

In reply to one of Booms Q's...

My 1/75 slr5000 was 60Y chamois vinyl with herringbone inserts.I can only go by the description of the first owner that ordered the car.
the only picture I have is too distant to really be of help distinguishing between the two.

#22 boomfunk

boomfunk

Forum Trimmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:09 AM

ChiaLX

i dont no if any other car came out with it, i would imagine so, i have only ever seen chamois chevron

REDA9X

dont no, im going by someone who has been in the trade since the mid 60's, that code thing i posted on the other page is something thats been floating around forums for years.

I dont no if its correct or not, all i no is what customers send me from grandma cars.., samples..trim codes, sometimes i have say they have been changed but alot of 60b owners out there and i can tell you none of them are herringbone

The red slr for sale on ebay and on the muscle car forum was done apparently by EAU..he is stating is ranier...houndstooth ,why or where would he get that from, maybe you need to ask garry next time you speak to him

parts book, i have a few but havent bothered to look, the most interesting is the ICI colour book, it does have interior paint colours but havent managed to find any codes, mind you i havent looked thru the whole book...rediculously big book

arrimar

60Y... amazing, dont no what it would look like..but different thats for sure, had to have been from factory as the trim code is something i dont often see

#23 arrimar

arrimar

"Have you still got that Torana!"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Car:Salamanca L34, Absinth LH SLR/5000, Caribean Blue LH 5.0, C250 Merc,

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

Posted Image

Unfortunately thats as close a shot of the inside that I have.
I would be tempted to agree that the style maybe similar to more common ones but the colour may be matched to the chamois.

The first owner described it as "the same as the Monaro he had"

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:31 PM

The problem with dealing with people who have been in the trade for years is the stories get twisted and memories fade. I seem to remember a discussion with someone a while ago about slate trim and how it was actually black and how slate was actually the golfball insert. It's a good example of how facts can be changed.

#25 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

For a SS Hatch as of April 1977, Chevron was available for Chamois, Sienna & Tan. I have seen Chamois and Tan but not sure about Sienna. As boomfunk says it is a tight Sargeant stripe weave all of one colour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users