genuine LJ 5 litre?

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#1 _dags260_

_dags260_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 12:49 PM

I have found what the owner is calling a genuine LJ 5litre torana. he did have a letter confirming this apparently before he stacked it quite considerably. he is telling me it is one of 3 or so prototypes built and that it was built on the hush hush as it wasnt supposed to be done according to gov regs (DAMN NARKS ALWAYS SAYING TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER). i know the bloke quite well and he isnt the kind of guy to say this for s___s and giggles, he genuinely believes this to be true. so my question after all that is this, has anyone else heard of a prototype LJ 5 litre torana? If so how would i go about id ing this and having it confirmed?

thanks for your time and help

#2 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:04 PM

Sounds like utter BS to me.

Its true that Harry Firth did make a couple of 308 prototypes that were to be the XU-2 before the supercar scare killed them off. These cars were never complianced by Holden as such nor sold in that state. Its possible the car may have been one of those prototypes but it would not have had the V8 engine in it and it wouldn't have left the factory in that state.

#3 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

i think someone may have been urinating in you ear, i'm sure one of the LC/LJ people will set you straight.

#4 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:11 PM

he might believe it.
but i never will

#5 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:13 PM

i have a book that tells the whole story about firth and brocky doing home engine swaps and then testing in the melbourne backstreets.

it was not a holden venture at all.
purely a personal venture between harry firth and peter brock

#6 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:33 PM

Would love to see the letter.
R

#7 _dags260_

_dags260_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:59 PM

id love to see the letter aswell, unfortunately it has been lost at some stage. so general consensus is its crap tell him to shove it? is there anyone who is willing to say they have heard of holden doing this without being laughed at? im not big on my toranas so im just going on what im being told. i know ford deny the existence of the phase 4 GT but there are a couple out there. Maybe i was just hoping i found one of 3 cars ever built....

#8 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:23 PM

is there anyone who is willing to say they have heard of holden doing this without being laughed at?

Holden would have been aware of it and no doubt funding it to some stage. At the same time Ford were working on a Phase IV and Chrysler a V8 succesor to the E49. What we are saying is that Holden did not build or compliance the car and there is no way they would have issued a letter for the car.

Its *possible* this car is one of the protypes used for the XU-2 and maybe thats where the legend started, perhaps over many owners its been stretched over time :rolleyes:

#9 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:09 PM

id love to see the letter aswell, unfortunately it has been lost at some stage. so general consensus is its crap tell him to shove it? is there anyone who is willing to say they have heard of holden doing this without being laughed at? im not big on my toranas so im just going on what im being told. i know ford deny the existence of the phase 4 GT but there are a couple out there. Maybe i was just hoping i found one of 3 cars ever built....

I have seen an LJ with a DEALER fitted V8 from new. The guy ordered the car and wanted a V8, so the dealer exchanged the 6 for a V8 before delivering it to the purchaser. He had a GMH letterhead letter stating that the modifications were performed by the dealership, and that they would honour the warranty of the car.

I have never seen, and I don't expect to see any 'genuine factory' 5 litre LC or LJs.

#10 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:35 PM

A guy I know was a Holden dealer in the 70's, he had one in his dealership to guage interest.

When the project was scrapped he bought it, but was sold off many years ago and whereabouts are unknown.

Most of the other V8's went back to the factory and had sixes fitted into them and replated.

It was a four door in tan colour I believe and had XU-1 brakes on the front

If I was you I'd get all the numbers and post them up, that should tell you, because the guys i was talking to said the plates showed it was a V8.

this bloke now owns a car yard in adelaide selling high end mercs and porches.

I could find his phone number if I looked in the phonebook I guess

Cheers

Loui

Loui

#11 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:47 PM

the prototypes were turned into test cars for holden and destroyed bar one witch was
driven buy a exec as a company car with the v8 still in it but before it was sold
of the 8 was replaced with a 6.
so in a nutshell there was one factory fitted v8 xu1 registered but not sold to the public
with it still in :huh:
ask him for the numbers

#12 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

HOLDEN did build 3 cars on top of the one Harry built. One was strike me pink, one was Sebring orange, and I can't remember off the top of my head what the last one was. Several others were on the production line at the time in various states of completion, but those 3 were the only ones finished. The HDT boys had them for a while to make changes where required, but they were all returned to Holden. Ray Borret drove the last one for a while until it was used in a crash test at Lang Lang. The same fate met the other 2.

I know Bob Morris had one his race team built for a while too, it was exactly the same as the factory cars were to be. I have no idea what happened to it, but he did shock a few guys in it at the time.

Edited by REDA9X, 08 February 2006 - 05:57 PM.

#13 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:44 AM

thanks red i knew it was somthing like that :spoton:

#14 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:26 PM

The other one was white Red,There have been numerous sightings of these so called cars, which some say Norm Darwin had one which was on sold etc etc...I think they are all confusing the ones built in the DEALERSHIP by the Adelaide dealer. My mail is he built about 10 and sold them to the locals there. One of my mates bought one in Lone Oranger. They were not factory endorsed. Funny how all the stories on this car centre around Adelaide like the one above.
R

#15 CI 0308

CI 0308

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:77 LX SS, VX SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

What is it when someone says it is done by the dealer they assume that it is factory fitted, the dealers are owned by private individuals that agree to sell manufacturers products and cover warranty claims, just because you bought a new car off them that was pink with purple spots doesnt mean that it came from the factory like that. In the past they were always making changes to vehicles so that they got an edge over their competitors to sell that car, whether it was putting stripes on it or different wheels etc. I know that putting a V8 in a car is radical but it has been done before. In the past some dealer principles tart up a new model for them selves and sell them off when the next model comes along.

#16 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:32 PM

Funny how all the stories on this car centre around Adelaide like the one above.
R

That's cos we're the petrol head capital of Australia! :spoton: :D

#17 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:49 PM

adelaide has the best collection of torana's
S.A is the "torana state"

#18 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2006 - 01:10 PM

There's bit of a story about the XU-1 V8 LJ's and story told by Harry Firth on the HDT DVD. They did exist, and were on the quiet. Only way may be to talk to the man himself, Harry Firth.

#19 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:34 PM

Harry is known to have a good sense of humour. I do to. Take that anyway it is thought.
R

#20 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 06:17 AM

Funny how all the stories on this car centre around Adelaide like the one above.
R

I wouldn't have said petrol head lol.

How is it still living in the 90's anyway lol

#21 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 09:22 PM

R

i would say the POT head capital of australia !lol
:blink: :spit: <_<

#22 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:26 AM

^ yer well, your about right there too lol

#23 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 02:54 PM

R

Hmm, now let me see. Hmm, I'd better insert a very noticeable ;) right here!

Adelaide ;

Doesn't rain all day like Melbourne - check
not stinky and humid like Sydney - check
has best hills driving roads next to city - check
excellent beaches on the city doorstep - check
Has arguably the best tarmac rally in the world every year - check
Best wines in the world on our doorstep -check
Best beer - check
got rid of that Pesky F1 crap, and installed a V8 Supercar and interesting support races on Australia's best street circuit - check
traffic jams - nothing like what the eastern states capital cities see - check
Over 1,000 km away from REDA9X, so we don't have to put up with him whinging - check. :D

Nah, I think I'll stay right here in li'l old Adelaide - us Adelaideans will just keep it a secret how good it is here.

In all seriousness RED, things are good in Adelaide :spoton:

#24 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:10 PM

I haven't been there for a while, but when I lived there
you couldn't buy a car on weekends,
No late night shopping, (EVERY other state had it )
Had to be careful on a pushbike because people go through red lights long after it's gone red (at least the roads were better to ride on)
People drive at 80 in 100 zones and drive next to each other filling every lane so you can't pass
No traffic jams, by try getting someone to let you in GRRRRRRR
Good beaches but no surf
I will say there were lots of original old cars there, too bad about the rust
Good beer?? How would anyone there know, they had big signs up saying " don't drink anyone elses beer, buy SA's own"
To top it off, SFA happens there (except the V8 races which are awesome I will say), may as well live in Dubbo lol.

TIC Dave TIC lol

#25 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:18 PM

You forgot to mention the Great White pointer breeding grounds of the world....more paedophiles per head than any town in Australia...and they invented Snowtown...LOVELY place to live!! :fool:
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users