gooley

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Car:Holden Torana LC 1970 Coupe

Posted 15 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hey i recently bought a Limited Slip Diff Centre with 3.36 ratio... Just wanted to know whats next i know i can recondition the LSD and check the Backlash etc..

But would i need different axles or can i just pull the old ones out and insert diff center and insert the axles in....

Seals????

Info on this would be excellent
Cheers
Jason

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:38 PM

Axles.... depends on whether yours are coarse spline or fine spline and also what the diff centre is (coarse or fine spline).

#3 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:46 AM

Chances are its a coarse spline so if it is it will go straight in. Just pull out one axle and see if it slips into your lsd centre

I would change the axle bearings and seals while your there, don't forget you need LSD oil

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:48 AM

Chances are its a coarse spline so if it is it will go straight in. Just pull out one axle and see if it slips into your lsd centre

I would change the axle bearings and seals while your there, don't forget you need LSD oil

Yes and give the housing a good clean out while it's all apart.

#5 gooley

gooley

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

Yeah i picked it ip today checked it all out...and very happy with it...

Has few surface rust in some areas but easy to clean no damage to the teeth, backlash is very good, havent measure it properly but seems ok...

#6 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2008 - 09:47 PM

Yes and give the housing a good clean out while it's all apart.

To remove the metal-flake honey?

#7 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:44 AM

Yes sweetie,
but lets keep it off the forum.

#8 _73lj2door_

_73lj2door_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

Good luck buddy. i just changed mine a few months ago. it was my first time at doing a centre so i took a bit more time but now i rekon i could do one in half an hr. good find. im still after a lsd....

#9 gooley

gooley

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:20 AM

i bought mine for $650 off of ebay...at Buy It Now...i could of bidded for it at $450 but i couldnt take that chance....

I also seen one in Sydney pick up only with 3.55 starting bid at $150 where it finished up at around $800...

So i am glad that i bought mine for $650.. my mates are saying "you got ripped off" to me but how rare is a LSD Diff to fit my torana...The seller was telling me that he had it in a LJ and he had heaps of fun with it...

#10 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

Surely you would think somebody would realise there's a market for banjo LSD bits and start making them.

#11 _on the limit_

_on the limit_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2008 - 07:18 AM

Surely you would think somebody would realise there's a market for banjo LSD bits and start making them.

there is, gear exchange in smithfield (nsw). They have all parts new except the cases. there number is 02 96091514 ask for Jason.

#12 _WattsyLX_

_WattsyLX_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

Ive scored a 2.78 LSD centre and have spent the arvo changing the 3.55 open centre diff that was in it.
The car originally had a 2.78 LSD in it but it broke, so i threw the 3.55 in it.

Funny thing is the drivers side axle just seems to sit out a little bit too far? The axle is definently in, it turns the centre/tailshaft. I ended up giving up and having a cold beer instead! Ive changed plenty of diffs and axles before and never had this drama. Any reason why it would be doing this?

#13 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

Some broken piece stuck in the diff centre?

#14 _WattsyLX_

_WattsyLX_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:09 AM

Nope, centre was all good and checked when i bolted it in. Even shone the torch down the tube when this drama started occuring and there is nothing there.

Its like the axle needs to go in another 1/2 inch if that. Its got me baffled... ive changed plenty of centres and axles in this car over the years and its been basic and straight foward! The axles are coarse spline, as is the centre. I have the actual axles that were in the diff that the new centre came out of wrapped up under the house somewhere, might have to dig them out and try to get them to fit i think!

#15 _on the limit_

_on the limit_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

Hi, i am 99.9 % sure i know the answer onto your problem, one of the splines inside the limited slip are'nt lined up. If you can hold one wheel so i cant spin & with the axle that won't go in try & turn it by hand slowly & if will eventually slide in about a inch or so.

#16 _WattsyLX_

_WattsyLX_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

Hi, i am 99.9 % sure i know the answer onto your problem, one of the splines inside the limited slip are'nt lined up. If you can hold one wheel so i cant spin & with the axle that won't go in try & turn it by hand slowly & if will eventually slide in about a inch or so.

Thanks mate!

Worked a treat, and made me look silly! :P

If i ever get the chance to meet you, i owe you a beer!

#17 _on the limit_

_on the limit_
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

No probs, glad it worked. I only knew because i got caught with the same problem years ago. Cheers

#18 liswar2

liswar2

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Name:Wazza
  • Car:BMW K1200 RS , orange lc coupe

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

good stuff,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users