#1 hainzy

hainzy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hi all.
When I recently had both my torries together I noticed that the chassis numbers were in different spots. Turns out the SLR has had the original number obliterated and a new chassis number stamped a few inches away. I tried to get a photo but its a bit hard to see the old one in the shadow. Its also pretty hard to read the new one through the original mandarin red and newer black and various grime.... On the rego sticker it has the vin number as V03####P. A mate has told me that this is a police issued number so i guess that means it has been stolen and recovered at some stage? Although its hard to read, the chassis number looks to be different to the V03####P number. Should they be the same, or is the chassis number now irrelevant?

Its no huge deal as the car was regoed up until a few months ago so its obviously all legit, but does anyone know how this works?

Cheers.

Posted Image

#2 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:47 PM

I found just before I got my hatch regoed ages ago that some fool had ground off the numbers with an anglegrider :rolleyes:

Vicroads printed off a bit of paper with the V'number' and told me to go to a specific servo and get it stamped there and then to come back and get it checked again... That was it and the old number (the original gmh) ceased to exist on thier records and the new one was in it's place. The hatch hadn't been regoed for so long it was not on thier system so that may affect things too.

Edited by Flamenco, 18 February 2008 - 01:47 PM.

#3 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 18 February 2008 - 05:57 PM

Early Commodores have the VIN stamped into the rad. support.
A nudge in the front and the rad. support gets changed and a VP no. stamped.
Maybe this car has had a skirt and rail?

#4 _scotty720gtr_

_scotty720gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 06:00 PM

G'day mate. It doesn't automatically mean that it's a stolen recovered car. My car has a police number because the entire Left hand guard had been replaced due to an accident. He also replaced the inner guard ( where the Chassis number should be). It's illegal to re-stamp a chasis number, so the guy who did my car ( previous owner) got a NSW police number. Generally..I think...if you still have the original ADR and a police number, it's due to the inner guard being replaced. Not necessarily stolen. In NSW police numbers are N ######P ( N=NSW P=Police) I got that info from blokes on here.

In short mate, don't automatically think it's been stolen. The person who repaired it may just have done what's legally required.

#5 _gmhgtr_

_gmhgtr_
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

Hi all.
When I recently had both my torries together I noticed that the chassis numbers were in different spots. Turns out the SLR has had the original number obliterated and a new chassis number stamped a few inches away. I tried to get a photo but its a bit hard to see the old one in the shadow. Its also pretty hard to read the new one through the original mandarin red and newer black and various grime.... On the rego sticker it has the vin number as V03####P. A mate has told me that this is a police issued number so i guess that means it has been stolen and recovered at some stage? Although its hard to read, the chassis number looks to be different to the V03####P number. Should they be the same, or is the chassis number now irrelevant?

Its no huge deal as the car was regoed up until a few months ago so its obviously all legit, but does anyone know how this works?

Cheers.

Posted Image

hey mate is the metallic brown under that Persian sand metallic?
/

#6 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 February 2008 - 08:47 PM

My SLR5000 has a VP number, but Police and VicRoads records don't indicate that it has ever been stolen. The first two numbers after the"V" are the year that the new number was allocated. V03####P is 2003. Mine is V76####P, so 1976.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users