Opel Gearbox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

What are the differences if an for the opel gearboxes ,as i have never had anything to do with them done know anything about them , What cars were they found in ,i know LC and the 4 banger , is the 4 different to the 6 one as i know they had them in LC 6 if they are differnt how do i tell ??? REX

#2 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

I've beentold there are 3 different ones. Can't remember much else, so I'll see what I can find.

#3 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=11558

See if that helps

#4 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 05 March 2008 - 10:00 PM

the gtr opel has a cast iron inspection plate, and the HR and a tin one

#5 _tuffgong_

_tuffgong_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:44 AM

lakeside, dont you mean the hk ??? and the hk shift mounts up diferent aswell, and the 4 banger shift mounts like a supra 5 speed.

cheers john

#6 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hi Guys.

Just to clear up some confusion.

Firstly, the Opel 4-Sp gearbox was optional for the HR series behind any engine, May 1967 onwards.

They were standard fitting for the HK/T/G Monaro GTS behind the 186 S. They were also optional across the HK/T/G passenger car range (i.e. not van or ute) behind any 6-cyl engine.

They were standard for LC GTR (& GTR XU-1) up to June 1971. They were also optional for any other LC 6-cyl up to that date (the balance was used up for LHD export LC/LJ after that date).

I'm not sure what '4 banger' you are referring to, but the Opel box was not used behind any Holden with a 4-cyl engine. The boxes used in HB/LC/LJ/TA 4-cyls were all Vauxhall units, while the box used behind the 1900 Opel 4-cyl (for 1975 onwards in LH/LX/UC) was the Torquemaster (Phillipines) gearbox. Early 1900 Opel LHs used the Aussie 4-Speed with a modified shifter.

There were several changes made to the Opel 4-speed box.

HR boxes had the tin inspection cover & the shift mounted to the rear of the box. HK/T/G had the shifter remote mounted on the floor. In 1969 the tin cover was changed to a cast iron lid. For LC Torana the shifter was again mounted on the box, similar to the HR series.

Dr Terry.

#7 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

Thank you ,any cast numbers or anything else i need , REX

#8 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2008 - 10:52 PM

Cast numbers are listed in the link I provided above.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users