CD/Stereo Guru's

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:35 PM

Got bit of a problem with the head unit in the car, the CD likes skipping/getting stuck on tracks. Is this a common problem and is it fixible? Keep meaning to ask stereo guy in the Club.

Personally, wouldn't care if the thing spontaneously combusted leaving a hole in the dash, however the four girls (one breeding stock, three offspring) in my life don't appreciate the V8 symphony and find the current predicament a bit on the unacceptable side.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 13 February 2006 - 10:36 PM.

#2 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:42 PM

Buy a new head unit is not a preferred option.

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:42 PM

Is the problem towards the end of CDs and more prevalent on "burnt" cds.

#4 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:49 PM

No pretty much anywhere on the CD, and yup, we only carry copied CD's in the car (off the kids), although did do some original ones on the w/e and was no better/worse.

#5 _Jewboy_

_Jewboy_
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

Its not a cheap and/or older headunit is it, these will skip on bounces. Another thing to see is what angle is it mounted try and keep it dead level with the road. Most now days will work upto 30 deg but its always best to keep them flat, also is there any way to fit some foam/rubber to cushion the mounting. A cd lens cleaner might be useful if its a bit older.

#6 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:23 AM

Maybe try a CD cleaner in it (the ones with minute brushes to clean the lens).

#7 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:33 AM

Done the cleaning CD thing. It may be an early one. I bought it as ex-display stock (end of the run) some four years ago. That prolly makes it an earlier one.

#8 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:20 AM

might sound dumb but my daughter stuck a 5 cent piece in my cd player, caused it to skip and jump lol

#9 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:03 AM

Problem is beyond me, would suggest that it needs professional attention(unlikely to see much change out of $100 for any repair), which would perhaps make replacing it a more viable option.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 14 February 2006 - 10:03 AM.

#10 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:58 AM

From all the info you've given, I'd say it was a problem of excessive vibration getting to the CD unit - I presumke that it only does it when teh car's moving?

Being an older unit, its performance in bumpy and vibrating environments won't be too good, and this can be made worse as the laser gets old and drops off in intensity, and/or loses its ability to track as closely as it should. There's no real easy fix for this, but you could;

(1) fit a stock 138 :D :tease:

(2) try to soften the mounting of the CD unit. If it's directly mounted to the dash, is there a way of 'decoupling' it, eg by making up a tray lined with foam that it can sit in. Mount the tray to the dash, and sit the CD player in it. Another option would be to try to use rubber grommets on the mounting screws/bolts, and not tighten them up too much. To see if this will work, you might be able to temporarily remove the CD player from the dash with wiring intact, and sit it on the floor or a seat while you go for a drive.

(3) sting the 'girls' for $50 each, and buy a new unit :spoton:

If it's doing it while the car's not moving, and/or the engine's off, this would point to an internal electronic or an external wiring problem, or maybe even intereference from your ignition system if it's a powerful one.

#11 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 03:27 PM

Fit a 138 ---> No

Soften the mounting, yeah, only does it when underway. My suspension could be best described as a serious health risk to your kidneys (it's pretty stiff), although looking at it on the track looks like a boat still!!!

Sting the girls $50 each ----> No point, they'll just remove it from my other pocket with their other hand, woman are like that, and from a very early age too!

Maybe just don't fix it as yes, only does it when the car is under way, that way I get my V8 symphony and they can all sit in the parked car and listen to their music when the symphony isn't playing.

Was sorta hoping somebody was going to advise this or that is loose, just tighten it and your away!!!! Alas, I shoulda known that nothing with cars is so simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users