Vacuum Solenoid

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _UC000_

_UC000_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:14 AM

Hi All,
The Vacuum Solenoid on my UC's 202 is cactus, so as an interim measure I have connected the Vacuum Advance Line directly to the Vacuum Connection on the Carbie. It is running better since by-passing the Solenoid, but still a little rough on acceleration. Is better to replace the faulty Solenoid or just leave it the way it is ??.

#2 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 01:01 PM

The vac solenoid is part of adr27a, so it will be illegal to not replace it. Your fix should be okay from a mechanical standpoint, though im not sure how the lines going from the manifold to the vac switch on top of the thermostat housing and their connections to the solenoid will affect operation at all temperatures. Need to check the manual.

#3 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 05:03 PM

Not sure about the 202, but on the 308 the solenoid just provides the secondary lock out.

#4 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:20 PM

Checking the manual, one does need to consider what can happen to the connection from the manifold to the tvs on the top of the thermostat housing. To prevent any probs, plug this line on the manifold, or plug the line leading from the tvs to the solenoid.(not legal of course)

#5 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:26 PM

<blonde moment> My car doesn't have any TV's.

Runs away before directly experiencing Torana Rutting Season effects.

Edited by Yella SLuR, 14 February 2006 - 09:38 PM.

#6 _UC000_

_UC000_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the advice ...
If I could buy a new one I would be more than happy to replace it, but finding one is proving harder than I thought.
The only option so far is Rare Spares who will reco mine for $70.00.
The last thing I had reco'd thru those guys was a petrol tank sender and that never worked, so I am not to enthusiastic about going down that track.

Holden -No.
Repco -No.
Burson -No.
Auto Barn -No.

Any other possibilities ??.

#7 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:41 AM

Try a wrecker, perhaps a few on this site who have simply removed them and have one or two lying around?

#8 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

personally i dont run any vacuum advance at all, but if you do want to run vacuum advance without the solenoid, make sure it is connected to "ported vacuum" not normal mainfold vacuum, ported vacuum connections are normally halfway up your carb.
try it with out the vacuum advance and see how that goes.

ps: dont you just hate spammers :+1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users