Lokka Installation

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 11:49 AM

How are these for street driving. I spoke to a local diff joint the other day and they said not to go for one as they are quite noisy and annoying and harsh on the driveline.

Ill be fitting one to a BW skyline diff.

Opinions?

#27 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

Can be a bit annoying at low speed if you get on and off the throttle in tight corners but you get used to it - will lock up and bounce back and forth on the axles and drive shaft if you stuff it up. As for noise yes its noisy but that doesn't bother me at all, I just tell people that the CV joints need replacing! Anything over 60-70km/h and you can drive as if its not even there around any corners.

If I only ever drove on good quality sealed roads (not sure where I'd find roads like that) and did nothing else with the car then I'd change to an open centre. That's not the case though and I've had the Lokka for some time now and done a lot of driving with it, the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages as far as I'm concerned.

#28 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

Thanks for the reply.

You have a manual gearbox don't you?
I have heard it helps if you ride the clutch slightly when downshifting?

I'm asking this as I will be upgrading the clutch soon and I'm deciding whether to go for a organic heavy duty clutch(that will slip a little) or a ceramic type that I have been told is more like on/off.

Anyone else with comments?

Youngy

#29 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:47 PM

Yes mine's manual, reasonably healthy 308 with Supra 5 speed and standard type clutch. I wouldn't think you'd need a vicious clutch in a light Torana unless you have some serious torque.

If you're not turning or doing over 70km/h(~ish), just drive as normal. When turning tightly at lower speeds, you will notice the extra backlash in the diff and need to ensure that it is loaded one way or the other at all times (on the throttle or off it). In particular if you jump off the the throttle midway through a corner it will lock up and bunny hop a bit due to the backlash. Going in under deceleration then getting on the throttle isn't so bad as this is where you can slip the clutch to smooth the transition; it still locks up in between but if only for a controlled instant its not noticeable.

#30 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

Your defiantly talking me into it :spoton: . I have been in a car with a Detroit tru trac locker and it seemed fine, are these similar?

#31 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:43 PM

Don't think so, I'm pretty sure the Tru Trac is a gear locker, the Lokka unit uses dog teeth/cams (the disengaging and engaging is what causes the clicking). So the Tru Trac would most likely be quieter and possibly also a bit smoother depending on your driving.

Have you wrapped your head around how it works from the info on their web site? Once you figure it out you will know exactly what to expect.

#32 Evan

Evan

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:07 AM

Coming up 2 years of abuse in the Torry and still happy with my LOKKA.

Ev

Edited by Evan, 24 March 2010 - 01:07 AM.

#33 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:19 AM

A bit bangy but your driving style will get around it.

on the clutch, I used a 7 finger sprung ceramic from RPM...didnt even know it was there...
R

#34 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the comments fellas.

I have been in contact with a supplier of a Detroit Nospin type locker in Sydney.

http://www.locked-dr...f/ct_128312.pdf

$1680 to suit BW 78, though which is out of my price range.

Youngy

#35 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for the comments fellas.

I have been in contact with a supplier of a Detroit Nospin type locker in Sydney.

http://www.locked-dr...f/ct_128312.pdf

$1680 to suit BW 78, though which is out of my price range.

Youngy

http://www.4wdsystem.../index.php?id=1

These guys quoted me about $650 a 6 month's ago but they only did them for a 28 spline BW & i got 31's, spewin! I went for a spin in a (lets just say it was a non Holden vehicle) with a LOKKA in it & was quite impressed, the LOKKA's seen to have less backlash than a DETROIT locker (although its been a few years since i was in a DETROIT locker car) but having looked at a LOKKA they have a much neater mesh in the teeth than the DETROIT ie less backlash & nicer to drive.

As for a clutch, i started with an EXTREME(LY SHIT) chromoly flywheel, button plate & chromoly faced pressure plate & they are ON or OFF, not great in stop start traffic or parking, if you've got a tough daily (or almost) don't bother. I gave up on the Extreme(ly frustrating) & spoke to Jim Berry at RACE CLUTCHES
ADDRESS: 26 GLADYS STREET
STONES CORNER QLD 4120

PHONE: 07 3847 9999Make sure your mobile is fully charged first!!!!
He supplied a 6 button ceramic (of sorts) plate & a 4400lb cast face pressure plate, put on a cast flywheel & it's frOckIN BRILLIANT. Feel like a bog stock clutch to drive & is holding 403rwhp!!! & well over 130+ runs down the strip. Well worth the call!!!

#36 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

The 4WD Systems Lokka is the unit that this whole thread is about.

The NoSpin PDF doesn't have very good pictures but from what I can make out its a similar design (albeit with more moving pieces) anyway, I doubt it would be less clunky and its a heck of a lot more expensive.

#37 _youngy_11_

_youngy_11_
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

Yeah thats what thinking too there is heaps of moving parts from what I can see.
I will be going the 4WD Systems Lokka. :)

Even if I go down the supercharging path I will be getting no more than 200rwKw or approx 250rwHP, im thinking of just getting a HD Exedy organic style clutch as the car is more than 90% street driven. My brake guy has a 210rwKw dirt track falcon that he races and has had an exedy HD clutch in his for 3 years with plenty of abuse.

Cheers guys

#38 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 10:03 AM

what would this be like with an auto? less issues than with a manual i guess as there is more load placed /kept on the diff with an auto?

#39 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,151 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

I would have assumed the opposite, less load around corners with the torque converter providing some cushioning...? (but still less issues because this would be like slipping the clutch which stops it from jumping around)

#40 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

Hey guys are these lock-rite lokkas legal on the street as I want to fit one but also need 2 still get the car engineered at some stage... as ill prob only go to the engineer when I go to sell it.

Hey guys are these lock-rite lokkas legal on the street as I want to fit one but also need 2 still get the car engineered at some stage... as ill prob only go to the engineer when I go to sell it.

Cheers, Nig.

#41 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:07 PM

They are legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users