Can't turn off engine once started (?)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:23 PM

I haven't had a look yet but I can't turn off my engine once started (a slight inconvenience). I am guessing it's got something to do with a spring in the barrell or in the ignition switch. I dunno really, the cars all masked up so I haven't been able to check. Just thought if anyone knew, it'd give me a head start once the paintings finished. Right now I have to choke the carburettor to stop it, and we all know how hard it is to choke a loved one.

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:37 PM

What car and what engine please?
RACV MAN

#3 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:40 PM

What model car, points or electronic ign, more info - has there been reassembly at some stage? Perhaps a live wire has been connected to the coil? wouldnt drain batt in electronic ign, but would be a possibility with points.
Something you can do till you get it sorted, run a wire from the -ve of the coil inside the cabin and earth it when you want to stop the motor.
What else stays live on the car when the car is returned to off? instruments, accessories?

#4 Struggler

Struggler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts
  • Name:Andrew or AJ
  • Car:UC Sedan

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:27 AM

Does it have an MSD ?

#5 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:14 AM

Does it have an MSD ?

Muahahaha...

Good question cause i had an experience i dont soon want to re-visit!

To lay it out and laugh at me... this is what happened:

Car was going great.. no dramas. Decided to uprate my altenator from a 35A (:blink:) to a 120A bosch unit.

The Auto sparky did the job and i installed it all.. Fired up the car.. Bewdiful...Until i tried to turn it off.

Everything else shut down.. but not the engine!! I absolutely shit myself on a brand new engine... SO i jumped out and pulled the coil lead!!!! On an MSD 6a and blaster 3 coil... *OUCH*

Anyway.. did it one more time to make sure it wasnt a once off.. and then rang the sparky... cursing a little bit!

Turns out you need a diode in the charge circuit to top them from working like a magneto!

Live and learn! (JUST...)

Tiny.

#6 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:27 AM

i had an issue with mine when i got hte car on the road that hte engine wouldnt turn off if my headlights were on... When i turned the headlights off and the ignition was also off the car would turn off! extremely bizarre and doesnt happen any more!

#7 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:57 AM

the many mysteries of the torana, Tiny, for the past 4 years i have been getting my little brother in law to hold the spark plug on his bike to see if it had spark while i kicked it over, he still hasnt learnt yet lol.

#8 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:12 PM

Yes I've recently swapped engines in a LH 202 to a 208, both red motors using electronic ingnition. The old 202 had the black motor elec dizzy and coil, the new one has the smaller newer boshe. About a 1/3 of the original size. Also, when the electronic ignition was installed on the old motor, the mechanic installed a relay or a switch I think, which receives power direct from the battery then distributes to the coil and also the electronic choke on the varajet carburettor (gone now). Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I might have wired it wrong.

The ACC red light stays on when switching it off.

#9 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:53 PM

the many mysteries of the torana, Tiny, for the past 4 years i have been getting my little brother in law to hold the spark plug on his bike to see if it had spark while i kicked it over, he still hasnt learnt yet lol.

so nasty yet so funny as well

#10 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:08 PM

funny and nasty is getting him to trim a hedge with a brushcutter, with his whole 30kg and the brushcutter getting tangled, i was waiting for it to stop and him start spinning. It grabbed hold a couple of times and threw him to the ground, but he bounces back up again, getting him conditioned so i can throw him on a speedway bike one day...
Oh and eddie, its not that hard to choke a loved one, ask my husband when he suggested getting clear tail lights for his subaru.

#11 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

What voltage/current are the bikes using?

I thought most car coil were 20,000 volts?
Done myself in with a spark plug lead on the old 202 when it popped off, felt the shock go through my body and the ticker kick rather hard for a minute after :rolleyes:

Voltage can't kill unless you got a bunk heart to begin with, I wouldn't mind importing one of those illegal [in aus] electrical clublocks (20,000 volt shock).

#12 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:23 PM

never delved that far into his bike (lill honda 50) usually if its got no spark the plug is fowled up, gives you a bite thats for sure, nothing huge afterwards maybe a small arm tingle for 10 minutes.

#13 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 02:18 PM

I get the members to hold the plug lead while I crank the engine to check for spark.
But I'm a bastard.
RACV MAN

#14 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 04:44 PM

At tech we used to unplug a lead & grab the person next to you,the spark would go through you & zap the person you touched.Another time I had my cousin's blown vk,I took it to a mates place so while it was idleing with the bonnet up he touched the pretty red msd coil & copped the biggest shock of his life lol.

#15 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:12 PM

HAHA these stores are SHOCKING :) ( HA!!! i couldnt resisit..)

TORUNYA: Best way to be i reckon gotto have a laugh somehow!!

Has anyone solved eddies inital question!?!

#16 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:10 PM

Voltage can't kill unless you got a bunk heart to begin with,

I think that statement might need clarification? Only people with bung hearts can get electrocuted?

#17 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:43 PM

HAHA these stores are SHOCKING :) ( HA!!! i couldnt resisit..)

TORUNYA: Best way to be i reckon gotto have a laugh somehow!!

Has anyone solved eddies inital question!?!

Wot question? :blink:
RACV MAN

#18 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:36 AM

check the relay. I had that problem once and it was the relay that had failed so when ya turned the key off the relay didnt open the circuit between the battery and coil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users