• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#26 _UC HATCH_

_UC HATCH_
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:29 PM

Hi Toryman76

Thanks for the firewall measurements.

Here is rodomo's UC pedal and I have played with the picture to show what I think they are saying.

Hope you don't mind rodomo for steeling your pic and have got it right.

Posted Image

Edited by UC HATCH, 25 May 2008 - 10:32 PM.

#27 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 11:07 PM

The hook that i have made up was not copied from either of the H-series pedals i have here, it was more just make some and see what works. I have moved it closer to the firewall as well as up because thats how far the cable came through the firewall to enable the pedal to sit flat with the brake pedal. If i had of simply just added the 25mm up on the UC pedal, then my pedal would have still been sticking up about 2in from the brake pedal.

So from all that i gather the UC cable must be slightly longer then the cable i have from the HZ?

With the adjusting nut, how do i know when the cable is adjusted correctly?

#28 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 12:05 AM

Adjust the pivot in the bell housing to the middle of it's adjustment.
Adjust the cable to the middle of it's adjustment.
Hold your clutch pedal level with the brake pedal and have another look at where your hook is on the pedal.

UC HATCH, we meant that the hook looks too far forward.

Have a look here for clutch cable lengths.
I believe the number after CC (clutch cable) relates to the inner cable length.
http://www.fdrive.co...earchcables.php

Edited by rodomo, 26 May 2008 - 12:08 AM.

#29 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

The WB V8 full cable pedal & HX/Z pedal that uses the half cable half rat trap setup, pedals are exactly the same.

The 6cyl WB pedals have the same length hook as the UC torana pedal !!

The only difference is that the WB pedal has a spring that is mounted around the pedal mounting bolt & when in position is puts a light load on the pedal that pulls it toward the floor, giving the cable a light load that makes the "constant run" thrust bearing some load on the pressure plate, & also keeps just enough load on the cable to help keep the adjusting nut from un-winding itself.

Craig.

Not correct all all. HX/HZ pedal is very different to full cable HZ and WB and the hook on the full cable pedals does stick further forward than on the UC pedals in the above photos (posted by UC Hatch). If you have access to a HZ parts catalogue the difference is clear, although the picture they have for the 6cyl full cable is just a repeat of the V8 picture but it does show the 2 x pivot points. I can't remember exactly but I do think the hook on the HX/Z pedal is in about the same spot "in space" as the V8 full cable pedal but the hooks are reversed ie HX/HZ has the slot pointed forward and down whereas the full cable pedal is pointed backwards like a UC. I've got examples of all of them in the shed so when I get a chance i'll get photos of all of them as this question comes up every few months.

#30 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 04:17 PM

I just had a closer look and yes my bell housing does have the adjustment for the pivot of the fork. It looked to be out a fair way so i tried to move it in...

How long is the pivot bolt? Ive got about 10mm between the locking nut and the ball, and the cable is set to about half way and my pedal i have made still seems to be operating fine...

Thanks for that tip Rob, I had been on that site previously trying to find the lengths but wasn't aware that the number after the CC was the internal length. Going from that site my cable is 112cm long and the UC is 100cm long so buggered if i know why i needed to move the hook foward :huh:

#31 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:32 PM

The WB V8 full cable pedal & HX/Z pedal that uses the half cable half rat trap setup,  pedals are exactly the same.

The 6cyl WB pedals have the same length hook as the UC torana pedal !!

The only difference is that the WB pedal has a spring that is mounted around the pedal mounting bolt & when in position is puts a light load on the pedal that pulls it toward the floor, giving the cable a light load that makes the "constant run" thrust bearing some load on the pressure plate, & also keeps just enough load on the cable to help keep the adjusting nut from un-winding itself.

Craig.

Not correct all all. HX/HZ pedal is very different to full cable HZ and WB and the hook on the full cable pedals does stick further forward than on the UC pedals in the above photos (posted by UC Hatch). If you have access to a HZ parts catalogue the difference is clear, although the picture they have for the 6cyl full cable is just a repeat of the V8 picture but it does show the 2 x pivot points. I can't remember exactly but I do think the hook on the HX/Z pedal is in about the same spot "in space" as the V8 full cable pedal but the hooks are reversed ie HX/HZ has the slot pointed forward and down whereas the full cable pedal is pointed backwards like a UC. I've got examples of all of them in the shed so when I get a chance i'll get photos of all of them as this question comes up every few months.

very keen to see photo's of the different pedals,

I'm only going by experience of what I've seen on the customer cars that I have converted over the years.

I've never seen a pedal with reverse hooks on it, cant see how the cable would stay hooked on to it ??

Craig

#32 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

i use a uc clutch pedal never got round to modifyn it just got used to getting the knee up a bit

i used a vh comodore belhouseing and a vn v8 clutch cable with a 16mm deep socket for a spacer
had to bore the guts out of the socket but i went for the vn cable because its a big thick chunky bastard :spoton:

#33 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:43 PM

Posted Image

The one on the left came with my full cable setup believed to be out of a HZ. Notice the reverse hook, the cable doesn't come off when operated.

The one on the right came with my engine and gearbox believed to be out of a HJ or HX.

Cheers

#34 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

The left one is a full cable (late HZ or WB) - might be a 6cyl (would have to get a pedal out and compare). The right hand one is a HX or early HZ with half cable half rat-trap. In my description I described the direction in which the hooks faced back to front. Toryman, if you put those 2 x pedals side by side and they end up the same length from pivot to pad then the left hand one is a V8 pedal. If it's longer than the right hand pedal it's a 6cyl one.

#35 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:19 PM

both pedals are the same length

#36 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

It's a V8 one then. Pretty rare. It's what you need to convert any HQ-WB V8 to full cable setup and get rid of the horrible half and full rat-trap setups.

#37 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

might keep that one in the shed then. me and the old man might be doing a HQ prem wagon soon ;)

#38 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,085 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

But you'll be doing it as a SBC and TH400 though won't you? Holden actually built 4 x 350 TH400 HQ Premier wagons. They are all still around today. Bob Jane ordered one of them new and it was factory painted in the same colour orange as his race cars. I've got the BODY plate details somewhere. Another one was delived new in NZ. A "replica" of one of those would be a nice car, especially with A/C, P/S, HZ disc brake diff, late HZ or HZ front rails (for RTS) and GTS rims.

#39 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

mmmm a 350 would be very nice. its an original 253 with a 3 speed manual column shift... horrible combo!! you could say the car is very tired... but i keep hassling dad to get it in the shed ;) ill win him over one day!

cheers

#40 _darrenmark1_

_darrenmark1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

Hi there Fellas, i have reproduction LH & LX Cable clutch brackets, If you are interested let me know. Copy of the Original one but stronger. If you need one email me at darrenmark11 at optusnet.com.au. I know how hard they are to get i looked for 6 months, i found a clapped out one and had them made, i had a few extras made to offset the cost. Thanks Darren

#41 _LHSLR5.0_

_LHSLR5.0_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:01 PM

Toryman76 did you have to bend your clutch fork at all? Craig has been giving me some advise to and after waiting two weeks for the cable from rare spares and the bracket from castlemaine rod shop for my bell housing, I am about to do the full cable conversion for a supra 5 spd in to V8 torana using a uc 6cyl pedal and cable. Have got a bloke that will copy my final hook type so when i get it right i'll be able to send them to others with the measurements on where to weld them on the pedal. Pics are great will use as a reference point and i will take others along the way. Cheers Andrew

#42 _hatcheddan_

_hatcheddan_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hi there Fellas, i have reproduction LH & LX Cable clutch brackets, If you are interested let me know. Copy of the Original one but stronger. If you need one email me at darrenmark11 at optusnet.com.au. I know how hard they are to get i looked for 6 months, i found a clapped out one and had them made, i had a few extras made to offset the cost. Thanks Darren

I got one of these from Darren the other night, nice work mate :clap: good luck with the 5000 mate, she'll be a top car when she's done :spoton:

#43 fuzzypumper

fuzzypumper

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Name:Archie

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

FYI: I case anyone wants to know the rest look like.
I Have posted photos scanned from the UC parts catalogue showing all the clutch pedals, cable & Rod & lever controls from LH LX UC, 4 & 6cyl on my photobucket site. Obviously the only one missing is the LH LX V8 Cable & Lever.
I also added the pedal used on the WB Commercials from the gregorys manual.

Click links below, theres 12 so I didnt want to clog the page by embedding them here.

https://cache.gmh-to...age00B8-Clu.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00B9-Clu.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00D8-Clu.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00D9-Clu.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00K8-Clu.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00K9-Clu.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00K9A-Cl.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00K10-Cl.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00K11-Cl.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00K12-Cl.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...age00K13-Cl.jpg

https://cache.gmh-to...Page79-Clut.jpg

Edited by fuzzypumper, 01 September 2008 - 05:49 PM.

#44 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

Whilst I was doing a search, I came across this thread - heaps of good info however could someone please advise me if I am on the right track or not..
I am in the process of doing a manual conversion (was an auto) in my LX sedan.. V8 with a singlerail gearbox. I have finally found a UC clutch pedal, but the length doesn't seem correct.
In this picture - the pedal on the left is suppose to be the UC clutch pedal, the pedal in the middle is suppose to be the UC brake, and the one on the right is the auto brake pedal that I removed from my torana.

Posted Image

Heres a closer look at the UC pedals..

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see, the UC clutch pedal (?) is alot shorter than the others.. is this normal, or could this be from a WB or something?
And finally, does someone please have a photo of a clutch pedal in a LX, so I can try and figuire out exactly where it should be located/mounted too.

Thanks heaps :)

#45 old-jim

old-jim

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Name:Jim

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:23 PM

Those pedals look like OK. The brake and clutch pedals pivot from different bolts.
Just make sure that manual and auto brake pedals have the booster pushrod pin in the same place (staight and bent pushrods).

#46 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:39 PM

Those pedals look like OK. The brake and clutch pedals pivot from different bolts.
Just make sure that manual and auto brake pedals have the booster pushrod pin in the same place (staight and bent pushrods).

Thanks pal :) So each pedal is secured by different bolts are they?? There is bugga all room up there to see exactly where they are meant to be mounted too!! Thanks again :)

#47 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

Hi Toryman76

Thanks for the firewall measurements.

Here is rodomo's UC pedal and I have played with the picture to show what I think they are saying.

Hope you don't mind rodomo for steeling your pic and have got it right.

Posted Image

On page 1.. it says that the above pedal is a UC - the exact pedal in which is needed for this conversion to take place.
However this photo of my pedal looks different.. although it is also suppose to be a UC pedal.. can someone please tell me what is going on??!!

Posted Image

#48 _bangbang_

_bangbang_
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

All is sorted!! The clutch pedal is bolted up and swinging nicely :)
Just confirming that the clutch cable passes through this hole just above the stud (once its drilled out bigger!!)
At this stage I have left the hook on the pedal un-touched.
Thanks heaps :)
Posted Image

#49 toryman76

toryman76

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 07:38 PM

Old topic, but I finally worked out my original issues I was experiencing early on in my build. I think I must of had the wrong clutch plate and/or pressure plate, and/or throw out bearing. Anyway new clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing and my original mock up did not work. I modified to the above image (44mm up, 16mm forward) and voila! The clutch had perfect travel just shy of the floor, which will be spot on once carpet is installed. Anyway, thought I would share with everyone my final clutch pedal, and also offer to anyone wanting to do the same thing the drawing I used to fabricate the new 'hook' in 1:1 .DWG format or I could even offer a dimensional .PDF drawing. If anyone is interested please PM me.

IMG_20151120_120204.jpg

#50 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 06:20 AM

Fantastic.
Would you send me a drawing please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users