- - - - -

LC 2Door S Project to XU1

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#26 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:47 PM

Ok a big thank you to Limo on the forum for the roof piece to repair my sunroof hole. I cut it to size and then very slightly turned a few edges in to hold the piece in place and away I went, an hour of alternate spot welds, more to be done another day
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
And the roof has held its shape really well so far, I will finish this part off and then do the flutes and then off to the blasters and the fun begins

Edited by squirralien, 16 June 2008 - 05:49 PM.

#27 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

Yes I also love the yellow, but theres a yellow thats very washed out and I am not so keen on that one, Yellow dolly for mine I think,

There was a LC GTR in the Canberra Club, I think, called Toll Yellow that was a real washed out colour.
R

that would be the same yellow as the Toll trucks I reckon

looks like your project is going well so far, I am doing nearly exactly thing with my dad, a stocko LC into a XU1 rep, probably gonna be yellow dolly too! I just have to pull my finger out and get it done!

#28 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

EeeUooAhh.....flared gaurds on an LC...... :furious:

Whats wrong with flared guards??..Sheesh! :furious:
Posted Image

Looks good Steve. :clap: Keep at it....
R

Edited by rorym, 16 June 2008 - 07:49 PM.

#29 _studricho_

_studricho_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:54 PM

I read the whole story about your daughter. I don't know what to say or think about it. That would have to be the hardest thing ever to cope with.

It left me stunned and speechless reading that. I can't believe some rooten thief pinched the and burned the car needed to transport your daughter.

By the way, great work so far on your car.

Your story has inspired me to be a better person and not take what I have for granted.

#30 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:23 PM

MAKKA, yes get stuck in to it and go the yellow dolly, get in to it and start a project thread here and let me know so I can watch your progress, its a great thing inspiration is adictively contageous, does that make sence or just sound good.

RORYM, flared guards are ok for some but not so nice when your going for the original look, its an each to their own thing i guess, some like them and some don't, I am after the standard look so they are shocking for my car,, maybe nice on others.

STUDRICHO, yes it is quite a story and I wish that is all it was but the strength is born within when its required, I would never believe that I could cope with half of what I have and some times still do but we all do and deal with what we have to,

To all thanks for your supportive comments, hopfully my thread will give the inspiration to others as others do to me, I look and read other peoples threads and get excited and go out and do something, if its to late I day dream my plans and options, I also try to make my mistakes in my head so when I actually do it I might get it right.

#31 _P51_

_P51_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

Keep going bloke, all good so far.... :spoton: Any chance you could detail some more of your dash process...i.e what glue did you use ..etc..im interested cause it looks like it came out real well.... :D

#32 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:40 AM

The glue was just the standard quick grip type glue that you put on both surfaces and wait until they are tack free and then carefully you have to stretch the material over the dash and press it down to make good contact. A friend did mine and also his own and unfortunatly I wasn't able to be there at the time of the stretching of the foam type material over the dash. Most important is to firstly make sure that there are no crack edges sitting any higher then the dash should be, either cut them down with a sharp knife or use a small grinder to make sure there are no edges sticking up, I think the spray foam is easy to see by the photos, put it in the cracks and straight away cover them with the masking tape. when its all set, Maybe the next day cut all the spray foam carefully and as smooth and level with the level of the dash, or leave it just a touch high and level it with some sand paper. Apply glue,,, wait,,, apply foam type material,,,, wait,, maybe next day you could apply glue and wait,,,, then stretch over the chosen top covering material. If you need more info let me know. It does take a bit of practice , skil , experience or just a damm fluke to get the final covering on and looking good, I would suggest giving it a go without glue first so you know what your getting in to.
I was going to say I have a reasonably good LJ dash if you need a good one to start off with but remembered yours was an LC (lotsa class)(lovely classic) like mine, and just to put a crooked smile on your face I think the LC dash would be a little more challenging to cover.
Oh and yes it is beautiful now, it was a pig dash before with one crack that was the longest one along the dash that looked like someone had eaten some padding out with a spoon, now you can feel nothing of the old dash its just a great result. I wish I got the before photo in time.

Edited by squirralien, 17 June 2008 - 12:43 AM.

#33 _L31SS_

_L31SS_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about Melissa and the serious difficulties she has been through. Brought a few tears reading your website. The support you and your family have provided, dedication and devotion and most of all love is wonderful to hear.

Good luck with the Torana rebuild.

#34 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

No its not good but at the same time we are still lucky, things could have been worse and there are so many other conditions that make our situation like winning a lottery, now i feel better, haha, there are to many people that suffer in different ways that should never have to, especially children.
I am just grateful that I was able to find a 2 door LC torana, its like a band aid

#35 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:05 PM

the LC dash is almost impossible to do the way you have done the LJ due to the curves, particularly around the glovebox and gauge facia as current vinyl material is thicker and cloth backed, unlike the original, I have one and is really bulky and bulbus
they need to be heated and vac formed and unfortunately the original pattern is no longer avaliable

#36 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:17 PM

Whereabouts in Adelaide are you mate? If you're not too far out of my way (Unley/Torrens Park/Mitcham), I'd be more than happy to come and give you a hand with the car on a weekend, if you're keen.

Tim

#37 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:27 PM

hey Tim you should have come up on the weekend when he cut his roof bit out, you would have enjoyed what I did to another dead LJ

#38 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:29 PM

Would if I could, Ken... Hahndorf is a prick of a spot to get to without a car...

Tim

#39 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:31 PM

I have couple of spares if you wantto pay reg, that's if you can have cars at school

Edited by limo, 17 June 2008 - 08:31 PM.

#40 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2008 - 08:35 PM

We've got plenty of cars, mate. Just not allowed to have one up here :furious: Thanks for the offer though.

Tim

#41 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:37 PM

The dashs we are doing are the LC dashs, have another look through the photos and you will be able to see the curves, it is a bit difficult as the black isn't very photogenic, the pics are on page 2, a heat gun comes in handy and its not a one person job.
I am in the Parafield area and theres not alot to do at this stage, after the blasting I will be going at it as much as I can, I am also a bit of a lone worker and I have a mate thats not far away that is also building one and keeps offering but firstly I sort of go in to my own world when I am doing my thing, I think its a bit far from your area to mine but I really appreciate the offer, that surely is a great jesture thank you RIM-010
Oh and LIMO, I might be going to the place I told you about at Neury on Saturday and if I do I will look out for the 1/4 panel your after but don't hold your breath, im sure anything remotely like it would have been snatched up by now.

Edited by squirralien, 17 June 2008 - 10:38 PM.

#42 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, Parafield is a fair trek from school :P I just love working on these things, and I know that there is some jobs that just can't physically be done with only one person. Also, I don't get much chance to work on my own Torana, with it being 500km away and all :blink: I get pretty bored up here on the weekends, boarding isn't a great situation for someone that likes doing stuff as much as I do...

I know what you mean about going into you own world though, once I get into the groove I just can't get out :D

Tim

#43 _P51_

_P51_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:18 PM

once I get into the groove I just can't get out :D

Bit like your avater Tim???...... :rockon:

#44 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:30 PM

Yeah, something like that :P

squirralien, my project thread can be found HERE if you want a look at my project...

Tim

Edited by RIM-010, 17 June 2008 - 11:32 PM.

#45 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

Your link didn't work for me Tim but after clicking on your name I got to your home page on another domain and your doing well with the car, how often do you get to work on it ?

#46 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:26 PM

http://www.gmh-torana.com/forums/index.php...95&hl=tim's

There's the link to my page. I only get to see the thing for a weekend every month or so, because it lives at home in Cowell and I live at boarding school in Adelaide. Hopefully going to get a bit done on it this holidays, but after I finish school this year I'll really get into it and get it finished.

Tim

#47 _doogs_

_doogs_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

Just read melissa's page and I am both infuriated and sad for you.
Great work on the torry and keep at it !

I was interested to see how you did the dash, it came up well. I think
I will consider doing the same for mine.

#48 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the link Tim. altho in that thread for some reason the photos were not there, im having all the luck with this,, but I did see what you had on the other domain.

Yes the dash does come out fantastic as you can see from a friends dash that I put the picture on here of that was in and finished, and the pebble grain vinyl is just awsom, I must get on to getting some for mine to finish it off so I can put up some pictures, Yes my daughters early life experience is just inhumaine, I have trouble with the fact that I didn't do more but they threatened to have us removed from the hospital and banned from returning and that wouldn't have done her any good.

#49 _squirralien_

_squirralien_
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

I know the aussie 4 spd is the gearbox I should use but I have seen alot of support for the toyota or celica/supra 5spd, is there a big bennefit in going toyota or is it just the 5th gear

#50 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:33 AM

5 speed is alot nicer to drive on. Thats the first thing i noticed.

Its really just up to you, 4 speeds are fine, but from what ive read and heard around the traps, the celica steel cases take a bit more abuse then the old aussie 4 speed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users