8 replies to this topic

#1 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

Hey Guys, Got a question, I either need to hook up a white wire or a purple and green wire. I have hooked up the rest and there is no power to the coil.

These wires are hooked up:
Heavy Red - Battery +ve
Heavy Black - Battery -ve
Black - Coil -ve
Orange - Coil +ve
Red - Switched 12 Volts
Green - Tacho

One of these wires need to be hooked up, This is what the diagram says:

White wire - To Points or amplifier output (connects to yellow wire of timing accesories).......I have a VK electronic distributor, so no points! What is the amplifier output????

Or (they can't be both hooked up at same time)

Green and purple to magnetic pickup in distributor or crank trigger
Green is -ve, purple is positive..... Are these wires the ones that come out of the dizzy and usually hook up to the coil, Do i connect these to the ignition module instead of the coil????

Thanks guys, just unsure of the terms "magnetic pickup in distributor" and "amplifier output".

Cheers

Les

#2 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:53 AM

Hi Les,

Connect the white wire. I have a Mallory Unilite electronic distributor and it uses the white wire.

Edited by antelopeslr5000, 20 February 2006 - 01:01 AM.

#3 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:41 AM

The amplifier output is part of the module within the electronic distributor.

You say that you have connected the green wire to the tacho. Is that the -ve green wire that is connected when using a magnetic distributor? If it is, it doesn't sound correct to me but it's hard to verify without having the wiring diagram to view.

The wire from the distributor (not sure what colour it would be as I don't have a VK distributor) that was originally connected to the -ve side of the coil before the installation of the Procomp needs to be connected to the white wire. If you find that you tacho doesn't work, I'd also connect the wire from you tacho to that same wire from your distributor.

Hope that helps.

#4 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, thats makes sense. I tried to take a photo of the diagram to put on here but its too small and couldn't get a photo that i could actually read. All the wires that i have hooked up are as the diagram says.

The green wire that i have hooked to the tacho comes out of the ignition box, It also has a rev limiter so i guess it has to measure RPM inside the box and the tacho picks up from the green wire provided.

I disconnected the negative wire coming from the distributor going to the coil and connected it to the white wire from the box. I still cant get spark, i check the orange wire going to the coil +ve and no power. So there is power going into the box but none coming out.

I used the original coil wire coming from the ignition key and connected it to the red wire (switched 12 volts), I haven't got a multimeter atm, so im just using a test light, but there is switched power coming from the key to the box.

There was another thin black wire coming from the box that is not on the diagram, so i assumed it was supposed to be earthed, Still no power to the coil.

???????? Got my brain working overtime on this one, Will be able to have a good play on the weekend, but still would like to get it done before then if i can but dont have much time left after work.

Les

#5 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 06:25 PM

mate, didn't bother reading all that so this may have been said, but bypass the module in your dizzy and you wil lhave two wires coming from the dizzy. run the purple wire to one and the green wire to the other.

#6 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:07 PM

lc boi is correct. With some electronic distributors you need to bypass the module. So the white wire from the Procomp will not be used (my bad!).

#7 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:25 PM

Had to sneak back out in the shed for a minute before i go to bed as it's just playing on my mind. What i found is that when the ignition is on if you touch the white wire on the on the negative wire from the distributor you get spark, and it's a massive spark, HUGE.

But heres the thing, ive got no 1 lead going to a spark plug and sitting on an earth. All the other plugs are disconnected so it's easy to wind. So if i wind it, it should spark the plug when the rotor hits no1. But when i touch the white wire to the -ve dizzy wire it sparks though no1 lead to the plug where ever the rotor button is. If the wires stay connected and i wind it, it doesn't spark.

I tried the purple and green wires straight to the dizzy wires and it done exactly the same thing, if i touched the purple wire and the +ve dizzy wire it would spark no1 plug, but not spark when connected properly and winding it over.

Tell me if im wrong, but the module is the little black thing in the side of the dizzy with the terminals on it and the wires coming from it to the coil???? How do i bypass this?By this do you mean doing what i have just done by connecting the purple +ve and green -ve wire straight to the two wires coming from this black "module".

Or there is another two wires coming from inside the distributor to the "Black module" in the side of the distributor, aswell as the two which usually go to the coil. Is this how I bypass the module?

Apolagise for asking so much, but i haven't really played with dizzys much and not %100 sure what im doing, Just don't wanna blow anythin up, :P

Les

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 08:31 PM

yes, you want to run to the two little black wires coming from the copper coil looking majig inside the dizzy. i did it by putting spade clips on the red and green wires and plugging them into the clips on the little black wires...saved running new wires through that tight little gromet.

#9 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 08:41 PM

Too Nice guys, Went out straight after work, ran the wires as you said and away it went. It made a pretty big difference to idle quality and when i rev it from idle its a lot smoother and a lot more responsive. Just cant wait to drive it now.

Cheer's Guys Thanks for the help,

Les

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users