The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:22 PM

Hey guys,

As petrol prices are sky-rocketing, i am trying as many ways to get the best economy out of my SS Ute.

I have just found this on another site (ls1.com.au) and thought it might be of interest to other LS1 owners...

VT-VY Computer Reset and Idle Relearn Procedure

WARNING: You can damage your PCM if the ignition isn�t off when its (engine fuse) connected or disconnected.

The engine temp must be above 80degrees before you reset your ECU.

Read through this manual before you attempt to do it and have the fuse located ready to remove before you start.

To use the digital temp gauge to get the engine above 80degrees (aim for about 90-95 for best results) follow these instructions: with the car off, hold down the MODE and UP buttons on your trip computer. Now start the car (while holding the buttons). Scroll through the functions using MODE until you reach TEMP. Leave it here and wait for it to get to about 90degrees.

1. Now that the engine temp is above 80degrees, turn off the car.

2. Remove the PCM fuse. It�s under the bonnet, in the engine compartment fuse/relay panel (the one just behind the battery). There should be a list of the fuses and their names on the back of the cover. Find: F31-the ENG. CONT/BCM fuse. It�s a Red 10amp fuse.

3. Once located, remove fuse, turn on, wait 20 secs (or the beep) and turn off.

4. Replace the fuse.

5. Turn ignition on (don�t start it), pump pedal full range up and down 5 times, turn off, turn on and start it.

I need to get a new battery for my ute. So when i do that i am going to also do this. Has anyone else done it with success?

Or does anyone advise me not to do it?

#2 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:01 PM

hmmm, im going to give it a crack tomorrow anyway...

#3 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:08 PM

i'd be interested to see the out come from this as my dad always complains about fuel economy in his VZ SSZ

what does it actually do? like trick the computer or something?

#4 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

I remember my engine builder buddy mentioning something like this that is "built in" but not necessarily switched on. We were talking about his VT SS at the time.
I have e-mailed him.

#5 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:41 PM

Just been reading up even more about it..

Here are some good threads..

http://www.ls1.com.a...light=PCM reset

http://www.ls1.com.a...light=PCM reset

I am definitely doing it tomorrow when i get home from work! I'll let you know how it goes!

#6 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

Did the reset before and the car is running heaps better that before! Highly recommend it to any other LS1 owners

#7 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:11 AM

did you actually run the car to above 80degrees?

also when it says to remove fuse, turn on, wait for beep, is that talking about the ignition of something else? how far are we talking about trning on? to the reds? or trying to start the thing?

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:31 AM

Yeah mate, i did have it at over 80Degrees... Just do it when you get home from work or something. It just has to be hot (normal running temp)

After you have pulled the fuse, turn the ignition to the on position (So all the dash lights come on) Wait about 20secs and it will beep from the dash. And a little error code will flash on the screen...

Then turn the ignition off and put the fuse back in.

Then turn ignition back on (Dont start it) and fully pump the accelerator pedal 5 times. and TURN OFF the ignition. Pull the key out to be certain.

Then start the car and go for a spin! seeing it was learning the way i drive, i thought i would baby it a bit for a few k's so it thinks that is the way i want to drive so it adjusts accordingly (Im not sure if this is the case, its just what i did)

Anyway, Going on the dash read-out. It said that i should get 600ks out of a tank! Which is unheard of, i have never seen the dash read so high! LOL. If i can get 500ks out of a tank ill be very very happy!

500ks a tank is about 14L/100kms, 550ks a tank is 13L/100kms (Which is what Holden claim that they do)

If i can get anywhere near 13L/100kms I will be more than happy to be putting around in a V8!

But if i can get an extra 20% out of my tank I am stoked!

#9 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

So I gather by doing the accelerator pumps it is calibrating the closed and wide open throttle positions?

I have a VE SSV manual and driving to work every day ( To: M7, M4 and Homebush Bay Drive , Return:M2/M7) I am getting 11.5-11.7l/100km week-in and week-out (and that's without any weekend trips). So I regularly get 600km per tank! I hear that getting a proper LS1Edit style tune can provide even better economy and performance.

#10 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

So I gather by doing the accelerator pumps it is calibrating the closed and wide open throttle positions?

I have a VE SSV manual and driving to work every day ( To: M7, M4 and Homebush Bay Drive , Return:M2/M7) I am getting 11.5-11.7l/100km week-in and week-out (and that's without any weekend trips). So I regularly get 600km per tank! I hear that getting a proper LS1Edit style tune can provide even better economy and performance.

Yeah, i read two different things you can do..

You can either do the 5 accelerator pumps

Or

You can run your car for 5 min at idle, Apparently that way you actually see the car go thru all the motions... It will almost stall, then lift the revs etc untill it gets everything right...

Your right about the LS1 edit thing, Apparently they can do wonders! Not only does your car perform a shitload better, the economy dramatically improves! Also things like getting a good flowing exhaust, and a OTRCAI (Over the radiator, cold air intake) and a MAFless tune (Loose the MAF with the OTRCAI setup)

Apparently this = Dramatically more power and economy! If i can get 11-12L/100km's I will be absolutely wrapped! Considering my Old Mans 4cyl '08 Model Nissan Xtrail, Can only 10.3-5L/100kms too and from work...

It kinda shows that the V8's actually aren't all that thirsty if set-up right..

#11 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

Very true! I also get 9.4l/100km driving to Melbourne and back and I got 13.7l/100kml towing L8 to Wakefield Park and back (about 350km round trip). Long live the V8

#12 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:31 PM

Yeah long live the holden 6.....

wait.... wrong thread... :P

Mums SS gets pretty decent fuel economy. About the same as my V6 VT acclaim. (i have a heavier right foot though..)

#13 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:36 PM

Very true! I also get 9.4l/100km driving to Melbourne and back and I got 13.7l/100kml towing L8 to Wakefield Park and back (about 350km round trip). Long live the V8

When I Towed my Torana up to Shepparton, I was using about 18L/100kms. I reckon since the reser i would have improved that to about 15-16 while towing. The car seems to have improved torque now!

Long Live the V8!!!

#14 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

Long Live the V8!

Our Mercedes Benz (1986 560SEL, 5.6L V8, ~2500kg) gets about 12L/100km on the highway, I think...

Tim

#15 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

You smart asses. My horribly underpowered 253 in the daily hatchback would be lucky to get down to 20L / 100km I reckon! It sucks. I have plans to fix this, but no time to work on it right now. Might just borrow Matt's LS1 and whack it in :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users