LX Column lower bearing mod

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:51 PM

Hey guy's

Mate of mine was telling me there is a thread somewhere on the forum about a modification that can be done to the lower bearing For lx steering columns by removing the single bearing and modding it and fitting a VL Commodore sealed bearing,

Ive done search and buggered if i can find it, Could anyone out there shed some more light on this topic??

Cheers :spoton:

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:13 PM

I wrote this thread a while ago. Read the whole thing as others have added their experiences as well.
Good luck!

http://www.gmh-toran...5656&hl=g clamp

#3 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,461 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

Whats wrong with the standard bearing setup ?
Besides the cost of the bearing ?

#4 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:59 PM

Rodomo. Thanks alot ill have a read at lunch time when im doing nothing.

Dattoman, Ive heard its alot sturdier and better to steer with, And i also like to give new things a go.

Thanks alot

#5 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:16 PM

had a read of your post rodomo, well done on the info.intereting to see what people are doing. can you or anyone else coment on, did you feel a difference in the steering, is this a mod thats worth doing? or just wait till the old bearing is shagged?

#6 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:31 PM

had a read of your post rodomo, well done on the info.intereting to see what people are doing. can you or anyone else coment on, did you feel a difference in the steering, is this a mod thats worth doing? or just wait till the old bearing is shagged?

I noticed the steering uni and coupling on a service then when I pulled it apart a few weeks later, found the lower shaft bearing was stuffed too. It was kind of a case of "neccesity being the mother of invention" on the day. I didn't want to have to pull it apart again.

#7 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:04 PM

Ive just finished modding mine,
Havnt put it back in the car yet but,
I took a slightly different approach to the mod again, Bought a new upper bearing $60bux :rolleyes:
Then got out the vernier calipers and mesured up the shaft and housing, went to CBC and they gave me the best they could, $30bux

I had to 'flare the end of the coulmn housing, I chopped off the lower bit where the original single bearing nylon bearing was,

went to the exhaust shop and the minute they put pressure on the end of the housing she split open, :fool: So went a different approach,
We got a piece of offcut exhaust piping flared it to fit sung in the housing, Then where the bearing had to go we flared it until the bearing fit snug, Took it back to the workshop and welded it up, Cut 3 slots and used the original spring,

All up this end up costing me 100bux even and my own labour
And the difference between before and after is excellent, the steering wheel just spins so free and easy

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers

#8 jonesy

jonesy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • Car:hatch

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:27 PM