What happend to Street Machines A9X

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:03 PM

Does anyone remember the A9X that Street Machine gave away late back in the 80's, had somthing like 9 kays on the clock.Would like to know,lucky bugger that won the car.

#2 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:12 PM

can very vaugly remember it, i was only a lill kid then :D

#3 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:14 PM

The guy who won it sold it, he didn't have a decent place to store it. I saw it for sale about 3 years ago, somewhere in WA. It was a race shell A9X that was never raced or race prepared.

#4 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:20 PM

Didn't that one have all the extra spot welds etc.?
What was the code on those race shells REDA9X?
I remember reading about them somewhere....may have been a yellow one in Muscle Car???

#5 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:23 PM

He sold it!!??.Bet he wishes he would have kept it now.It would have been worth a small fortune,hehee.

#6 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:25 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 _Leakey_

_Leakey_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:29 PM

KANGUR, I was just thinking that the other day!!

My little bro' found a heap of old Street Machine mags of mine,
including the ones with those articles. Complete with cut out
token holes in the pages!!! Remember you had to send in tokens
from about 4 or 5 issues to be elligible to win it?

I picked out quite a few issues with Torries in them,
and am still reading through them.

It did have extra welds too. I assumed all did?

My car at the time was a white hatch with black bonnet, flares........
- dream car it was. [the A9X]

- Leakey

#8 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:31 PM

thanks for the pics, got a bell ringing now!

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 12:34 PM

YES, it was a race shell, so it had all the extra welds. Tony Connelly bought the car to race, but never did, it was just a shell all white, no engine or box etc. He did have all the race gear, but he sold it and bought stock parts for it to make into a road car, but never drove it. Strret Machine bought it and local TAFE boys made it up into a car, though not sure how much work they actually had to do.

#10 _kangur_

_kangur_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

Yeahh thats the machine,very impresive car.I remember it cause this was just after I fell in love with torries not long after I arrived in Australia (would have been about 14 then).I wonder how many kays has it clocked up since it been given away.If they were giving it away now it would have been irreplaceable.Spewing I ended up throwing these street machines out at some stage,but my love for torries had never died.Once the love bug stikes it never goes away(Torries do that to people).Even my girlfriend who only arrived in Australia about 3 months ago loves the cars.She drove my commy back from canberra to melbourne after I picked up my SLR 5000 and said that while driving behind me for over 650 kays she just couldn't get enough of it.Said that the flares and the droptank makes it look like nothing else shes ever seen and recons everyone that was passing us was staring at it young or old.

#11 _sourbastard_

_sourbastard_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 01:30 PM

I reckon it would be great if Street Machine did an edition of "Where are they now?"

I can recall heaps of beautiful cars from those mags from when I was kid, and would love to see whats happened to them in the last 20 years or so.

The shame of it is I find now days, the cars we saw and lusted over in street machine 20 years ago, wouldnt even make the cut in todays street machine mag. Seems they are more interested in the custom chop, weld here, paint this, chrome the other type cars now days. Actually come to think of it, the level of customization is more Hot Rod level fabrication, then street machine level.

#12 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

Pretty sure it was something like 13.2ks on the clock. I entered that too, even bought extra mags so I didnt have to chop up my main collection.
Last I heard it was in WA and as already said was sold several years ago, to whom Ive no idea.
It was stored on blocks with the doors ajar to prevent the rubbers from squashing and had only 15 ks on it when advertised.

Seems they are more interested in the custom chop, weld here, paint this, chrome the other type cars now days. Actually come to think of it, the level of customization is more Hot Rod level fabrication, then street machine level.

customising/fabricating panels isnt that hard, its making bits like custom steering shafts and setting up the geometry of all your running gear and suspension thats the tricky bit. Ive just finished making a cab for a 1927 chev from scratch, using only flat sheet, angle grinder, hammers/dollys and a welder. making a full chassis with struts and a 6-link rear end from scratch was a bit harder.
If you want to stand out in a crowd you gotta go the extra mile.

#13 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:29 PM

I love that A9X, i was only a kid and brought every mag and answerd all questions to my best ability but missed the deadline...Ahh maybe in another life time..

My memory tells me it had 13.8kms on the clock..I still have a huge poster twice the size of A3 in a glass frame of that car, i got the frame from Pipeworks market and the bloke that sold it to me told me the large prints were on sale at the sumernats and could only be purchased there, he apperently got a heap of the entire castrol collection and framed them...

That was so long ago...

John

#14 _sourbastard_

_sourbastard_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

Pretty sure it was something like 13.2ks on the clock. I entered that too, even bought extra mags so I didnt have to chop up my main collection.
Last I heard it was in WA and as already said was sold several years ago, to whom Ive no idea.
It was stored on blocks with the doors ajar to prevent the rubbers from squashing and had only 15 ks on it when advertised.

Seems they are more interested in the custom chop, weld here, paint this, chrome the other type cars now days. Actually come to think of it, the level of customization is more Hot Rod level fabrication, then street machine level.

customising/fabricating panels isnt that hard, its making bits like custom steering shafts and setting up the geometry of all your running gear and suspension thats the tricky bit. Ive just finished making a cab for a 1927 chev from scratch, using only flat sheet, angle grinder, hammers/dollys and a welder. making a full chassis with struts and a 6-link rear end from scratch was a bit harder.
If you want to stand out in a crowd you gotta go the extra mile.

I dunno mate, for those in the know and who do it often, customizing or fabricating an entire panel might be simple, for myself who is finally having a dabble in panel beating myself, I wouldnt refer to is as simple.

Personally, im crapping myself at the prospect of panel beating my car for the first time, but i figure its something I have to have a go at atleast once. I have some mates who have an idea, and im relying on them heavily for advice as I do things.

For me, one of the stand out memories from late 80's early 90's SM was SLR 8000. That thing was a beast and was one of the cars that really got me interested in the car scene.

At the time I had my LX SLR, and had many great and wonderous plans for it until it was stolen.

#15 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

i can remember a torry owned my a "michelle castle??'
black and absolutley gorgeous.
That was the first torry i ever fell in love with (i know.... Awwww)
prolly around the early 90's
that girls got alot to answer for, my bank balance is destroyed because of her car lol

#16 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:03 PM

For me, one of the stand out memories from late 80's early 90's SM was SLR 8000. That thing was a beast and was one of the cars that really got me interested in the car scene.

Hehehehe, that would be Howard and Litre8 who is on here.

Here you go:- http://www.litre8.com/

Edited by Yella SLuR, 20 February 2006 - 03:07 PM.

#17 _sourbastard_

_sourbastard_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 03:29 PM

yeah thats the one :D

One of those things you see when you are young and impressionable and stays with your forever.

#18 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2006 - 09:46 PM

I dunno mate, for those in the know and who do it often, customizing or fabricating an entire panel might be simple, for myself who is finally having a dabble in panel beating myself, I wouldnt refer to is as simple.

compared to suspension tuning it is........
Ive never been formally taught either, just a bit of practice and its really not that difficult at all.
When you want to start shrinking the panels with an oxy set because they have been stretched too far out of shape takes a bit of getting used to, but again once youve got the idea its really simple to get right.
Dont be afraid to have a go, just learn/practice on an old crappy car before you touch your good car.

one of the stand out memories from late 80's early 90's SM was SLR 8000.

I remember competing against that car once when it ran a turbo six, not a hope after the big engine went in. Very well executed build, with alot of thought. Top marks to the owner.

#19 tinkers

tinkers

Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts
  • Name:Kerri
  • Car:LX Hatch & VX Clubsport & VS Ute

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:56 PM

Settle down Howard wont be able to sit at the computer due to the head swelling :tease: :P

#20 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 21 February 2006 - 11:19 AM

Moi?

#21 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 12:27 PM

Heya Howard, you still haven't changed over to the smaller video at Wakefield. If you want me to re-email the smaller version, email me.

#22 _SL/R SS A9X_

_SL/R SS A9X_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:08 PM

This is Michelle Castles torana Posted Image

She is a member of the hasting old holden club in nsw.

i can remember a torry owned my a "michelle castle??'
black and absolutley gorgeous.
That was the first torry i ever fell in love with (i know.... Awwww)
prolly around the early 90's
that girls got alot to answer for, my bank balance is destroyed because of her car lol

How do you know her?

Jason

#23 _SL/R SS A9X_

_SL/R SS A9X_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2006 - 02:12 PM

Just ask me if you want any other pictures

Jason

#24 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:03 AM

nah dont know her, just remember the name and car out of streetmachine YEARS ago (i was 14- 15 so err... 10-11 years ago hrmm...)
geez thats hot, hasnt changed a bit.

#25 _BCR42Y_

_BCR42Y_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2006 - 09:05 AM

Man i remember that Torana aswell!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users