60 replies to this topic

#1 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 01:50 AM

Ok..car has been sitting in garage for some time now collecting dust without an engine & gearbox in it,so after procrastinating to myself for too long I've decided to build it differently and have a crack at dragracing again in it..the car hasn't raced on a track in nearly ten years,back then it had a quick six in with best time of 13.1.Never did race it with the efi 5l,might have had high 12's low 13's in it..was a fun set up on street anyway...

This time she will be getting a high horsepower stroker built..should be putting out over400+hp,engine build will start soon,th350 with a dominator 4ooo+ stally getting bulit now which I should get back in a few weeks,going to keep the 3.89 lsd borgwarner in for now,hopefully it will hold up.

Be good to have it driving again by end of the year but probably pushing it I think,few things needing to be done first such as driver's side floorpan,get remote boosters installed in the boot,get some 1 3/4 extractors custom built and some rewiring needed + whatever else that will pop up.

Will either put a chassis kit in or wait untill next year and just cage it(6pt) when time & money allows...if I don't start building car again now I'll never finish it...fingers crossed!

I couldn't find the old thread so started a new one.

#2 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:06 PM

Get cracking!

Can't wait for some progress so we can give it a test run =p

#3 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

Sounds good mate but the chassis kit would definatley be on my to do list :<_<:

Does this mean the commodore rims are gettin the flick :rolleyes:

#4 _GMH355_

_GMH355_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:03 PM

I didn't realise your car had been off the road for that long. I am a big fan of retrotech projects, good luck with the build. When you have the new combo going I can recommend a good tuner :spoton:.

#5 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

LJ355...The grange rims are staying on it for now,so is the borgwarner just to be able to cruise it,maybe next year I'll change it to a nine inch & put some big rubber under it to fill up the mimi-tubs,I would rather cage it if it will stop the car from twisting but the chassis kit looks like the way to go.Still want to run some good numbers with the auto,engine builder(allports) reckons high tens if set up correctly.

GMH355...she was still a efi 5l/5spd more than a year a ago,that was when it used to still get cruised in,we had to pull her apart to clean up the tunnel mods..I later threw in a 253/tri to keep it mobile...got sick of pushing it...how backwards is that?I guess you already know where it will get tuned when the time comes lol.

Right now I'm trying to find out if I can keep it all under the bonnet with a harrop single plane & a small throttle body,if not I'll stick to a redline hiwinder.A set of vn heads have already been sent away for porting etc,...car will be getting sent away soon for the custom extractors or for the new mcylinder/booster & brake lines,whichever the workshops can take it first.

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 07:42 PM

Quick update:

-Dominator stall convertor reco'd
-Th350 will be ready in a week or two(should take 550hp)
-Bought o/s floorpan for it..need to send car away to get it done
-Ordered a chasis kit...2 week waiting period,maybe more
-Bought a good hq block,at the engine shop getting welded up for 4 bolt caps..waiting for front & rear caps
-Can't get a new harrop crank yet,apparently none around for a decent price so waiting for next batch to be made
-Bought a set of vn heads,not suitable so then sourced a 2nd set,they're at the porter's with the hiwinder manifold
-Few other things I can't remember lol.

Also bought a 4 door lc for patrs etc..did have thoughts about turning it into racecar but it's stuffed!!!
Took the car out around the block,still registered,has a junker 253/trimatic...damn it's a slug lol.

#7 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

Good to see some progress mate keep it up !

Getn mine back very soon its almost done :D

#8 _lcv871_

_lcv871_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:30 PM

good to see all this work happening still, finally got my lc engineered and blue sliped yesterday, but im now thinking i need to get rid of the injection

#9 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

lcv871:Why would you want to get rid of the injection for? Who did you go to for the engineers?

Engine builder wants me to get a 950 AED carby...I want it injected again lol.

Edited by gtrboyy, 23 August 2008 - 07:23 PM.

#10 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

dont want to get rid of the front half of the LC do you? GTR copped a pull on the chassis rack yesterday, and is in need of a few bits and pieces (like a whole front clip really)

#11 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:49 PM

I'll probably just keep the 4 door for awhile in case I need anything off it.

Just got a new scanner/printer..will see if I can work it out then post up pics wnen the gtr was a 6cyl lol.

#12 _lcv871_

_lcv871_
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:21 PM

lcv871:Why would you want to get rid of the injection for? Who did you go to for the engineers?

Engine builder wants me to get a 950 AED carby...I want it injected again lol.

i just like the carby, was good being able to tune it my self, i used richard Grdesiak (spelling) in Penrith for the engineer.
I went down and paid for the rego today its been 6 years since i last had rego on the old girl and doesnt it feel good :spoton:

#13 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

Big headaches with the sydney speedshops jacking up prices on parts & availability..got the shits & went over them...harrop crank is on it's way at a cheaper price too,pistons are the hold up now lol.Looking into the caps,been told not to get the splayed caps for a 308..

#14 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

gtrboyy ive got a 1000cfm BG RACE carb thats for sale, its the old holley style not the new demon crap. want $500 for it. got all the billet blocks and base etc. too big for my windsor as its got a small heads and a dual plane manifold so im selling the 1000 cfm BG to get a 650DP

#15 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:18 PM

I'll ask the engine bulider,he likes the AED's..something about being about to make them more drivable down low & idle better,i don't know if AED's are from BG or not as I'm more into injection,haven't played with carbies since i had the webbers on the six & never kept up on holleys as i preferred injection.

As an aside,threw the 253/tri in the lc 4 door..wouldn't go in properly..put the car up on stands...rusted thing twisted,doors didn't want to open so cant even use it as a burnout car lol.

#16 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

Engine bay with the efi 5l it had for a year.

Attached Files

#17 _wannafly_

_wannafly_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

hey love the 5L just wondering how hard it was to fit, what kind of things did you have to do/move/alter/get. i haven't done anything yet so any help would be grouse

thanks

#18 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

Its the same as doing an early headed v8 conversion,just more fiddling around...move column over,cut steering shaft,2 lh knuckles,hq engine mounts,lc/j v8 sump,modify some hsv headers then the efi stuff.

Hmm..the pic the junker 2fluffy3 no longer in it won't attach to this post.

#19 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:46 PM

OK...got crank,pistons,just found out the early red blocks are no good for 4 bolt main caps,not enough webbing so have to find a later block to use and still waiting for heads to come back from machine shop so they can then get ported.

The later blocks have bit more metal webbing in the block,the gpa blocks have more again,wish i'd kept my gp a block now lol.

#20 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

UPDATE ON GTR:

Managed to get a few days off work to spend time on it.

Injected 5 litre & getrag are back in.
Hiding the engine harness this time (behind engine)
Ford m/cyl fitted
Got lc/j stub axles to raise the front
using vb commodore discs & hq calipers (need to find good caliper)
got 14 inch commodore wheels(for a different look this time)

Will be working most of dec/jan to save up money(just bought ss ute..now i'm broke),will take holidays in february to get back into it..if I don't finish it off I'll bite the bullet & send it off to EZE10's workshop & pay them to finish it/get it engineered.Really miss cruising in this car.

#21 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:28 PM

Good to hear your back into it are you still building a big motor for it ?

#22 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 22 December 2009 - 07:22 PM

UPDATE ON GTR:

Managed to get a few days off work to spend time on it.

Injected 5 litre & getrag are back in.
Hiding the engine harness this time (behind engine)
Ford m/cyl fitted
Got lc/j stub axles to raise the front
using vb commodore discs & hq calipers (need to find good caliper)
got 14 inch commodore wheels(for a different look this time)

Will be working most of dec/jan to save up money(just bought ss ute..now i'm broke),will take holidays in february to get back into it..if I don't finish it off I'll bite the bullet & send it off to EZE10's workshop & pay them to finish it/get it engineered.Really miss cruising in this car.

Come mate shake a leg
Hey I remember you saying VB discs and HQ calipers, does this combo need a spacer/bracket on the caliper or does it all bolt up?

#23 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

LJ355:Big motor is still getting done,big delays on getting block welded up for the 4 bolt caps & engine builder mate has been too busy.

Bart: It all bolts up,just have to grind the caliper bracket & file inside of caliper where the disc rubs.Once I get some good calipers I'll fit it up to check caliper to control arm clearance...so far it all looks good.

#24 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

Finally got some hq calipers for the lc,needed to grind a bit off the caliper bracket as it hit the steering arm.
Dummied it all up to find that there is 1-2mm clearance between disc & inside of caliper,feels like it is just touching.
Might have to get the disc machined down a few milimetres.

#25 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Finally got some hq calipers for the lc,needed to grind a bit off the caliper bracket as it hit the steering arm.
Dummied it all up to find that there is 1-2mm clearance between disc & inside of caliper,feels like it is just touching.
Might have to get the disc machined down a few milimetres.

Good to see youre still chipping away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users