60 replies to this topic

#26 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

Yeah mate I'm trying to spend a bit of time on it.
Might try to take a week off (if work lets me) to book it in for remote boosters/brake lines & fuel lines.One of my mates has offered to tow it around to the workshops for me if I can't get the time off.

I'll try to the discs machined this week,then have it rolling on 14's in a week or two.

I think he is just as keen to see it driving again.

#27 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

Spent a few hours on the gtr yesturday,got a holesaw & drilled a hole in middle of firewall for the engine harness so it's now hidden,worked out where I wanted the vacuum line to go through firewall so you can't see those bits from front of the car.Still got to pull brakes apart to get discs machined down.Got a bit bored so I painted 2 of the grange wheels black...I liked how it made the car look different,friends didn't like how it looked lol.

Also got my vy ss ute back from Marrano's,serviced it,otr/exhaust & tune.It put out 232rwkw,sounds decent & goes ok.
Hardcover,lower springs,maybe 18 inch vy ss wheels,3.9 gears + ripshifter,then I'll consider it finished & decent for daily duties.

#28 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Been lazy with gtr,finally dropped off the vk discs to get machined down...should be ready sometime next week.

Took the grange rims off,finished spraying them black & threw them on the ss ute to see what it looks like,also had the ute lowered.Should stop mucking around with the ute but just can't help myself.

For curiosity chucked the b45 simmons on it then tried the 17in vy ss wheels,neither set suit the car lol.

Think I'll stick with the stocko vk steelies.

Good thing is engine builder mate is back from Perth & is ready to get stuck back into stroker engine build...looks like I'll be working more to get the money to finish that motor off.

#29 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

Picked up the machined vk discs today.
Measured them up 267mm,out of the box they measured 272mm.

Lc stubs,hq calipers & 267mm discs..looks like it will work nicely.

#30 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:07 AM

VT SS wheels would look lovely!

ohh! look at that! I have a set of 5 laying around for sale! :P

Pictures!

Sounds like you are acutally getting some shit done though, good work!

#31 _XU1-043_

_XU1-043_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

mate would love to see some pics of this car and the stuff your doing to it. the injected 5L is a good bit of fun for the street i'm loving it.

#32 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

keep up the good work and the detailed reports. in the next few months I'll have a question or 10 for you v8 lc/lj guys. are either of you running custom extractors or just factory manifolds?
and, just so I'm clear on what you're stating, you used lc disk stubs, machined vk disks and HQ calipers and it all fits together nicely? waht master/booster are you running.
thanks mate, p.s. LOVE your car.

#33 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

I had the kingswood m/cyl on it,no booster.Now it has xb m/cyl(?),the brake lines go through the inner guard so it looks neater & more clearance.Still got to send her away to get new brake lines,remote boosters & new fuel lines made up.Hard to find the time atm.

Guys at work keep telling me to take holidays & get back into it..too many old fords & harleys in the carpark on weekends & no old holdens lol.

Tyre fryer,go with the tube headers,cut the bottoms off & weld in new bends to suit the car..cheap & effective.

As much as I like my modded ss ute I still miss driving the gtr.

#34 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

Thanks mate, tube headers? what are they off?

#35 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:04 AM

Steel tube headers can be found on vn calais,statesmans or hsv models...easy to mod & flow a bit better than the std cast headers.
Usually sell for $50-$100 or if ya lucky sometimes people give them away.

#36 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

Ive thrown out shitloads of STD tube style headers, about 6 sets alone when we moved workshops!

#37 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Interesting couple of hours in the garage tonight,pulled out the big brakes & weighed them to find that they're just under 20kgs with hq stub axles...the torry stubs,hq calipers & vk discs came in at 16.5kgs so that takes out 7kgs off the front end.

Downsides:
17in vy ss wheel no longer fit(offset of the rims bottom out on the top ball joint)
14 in vk rims with 215 tyres,tyre hits radius rod & wheel weights clip top ball joint lol.

Other thing it looks like the caliper just touches the crossmember on full lock,so I got some mucking around to do to get it sorted out.

#38 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Interesting couple of hours in the garage tonight,pulled out the big brakes & weighed them to find that they're just under 20kgs with hq stub axles...the torry stubs,hq calipers & vk discs came in at 16.5kgs so that takes out 7kgs off the front end.

Downsides:
17in vy ss wheel no longer fit(offset of the rims bottom out on the top ball joint)
14 in vk rims with 215 tyres,tyre hits radius rod & wheel weights clip top ball joint lol.

Other thing it looks like the caliper just touches the crossmember on full lock,so I got some mucking around to do to get it sorted out.

Wow that's big difference in weight I'm putting come alloy heads on mine atm I'm guessing there's atleast a 15kg weight loss there

anyway good to see some progress !

#39 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

Yeah mate,47kg weight saving is not bad.Want to attempt to get the lc down to 1100kgs if possible & have a go at running a 12 on the stock efi 5 litre...few more things left to make her lighter,last resort I'll put my cousin in the car who is 30kgs lighter than me lol.

I'm the only one working on the lc in my spare time so progress will be very very slow.

The big stroker for the vk is progressing along,engine block should be welded up by now & getting sent away for machining,heads are nearly done & we have most of the parts to put engine together.

ss ute will probably get a ripshifter,diff gears & a hardlid by end of the year lol.

You going to get the COME heads ported? any more mods?

#40 Bart

Bart

Shit a brick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,559 posts
  • Car:LJ Torana

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:43 PM

Yeah mate,47kg weight saving is not bad.Want to attempt to get the lc down to 1100kgs if possible & have a go at running a 12 on the stock efi 5 litre...few more things left to make her lighter,last resort I'll put my cousin in the car who is 30kgs lighter than me lol.

I'm the only one working on the lc in my spare time so progress will be very very slow.

The big stroker for the vk is progressing along,engine block should be welded up by now & getting sent away for machining,heads are nearly done & we have most of the parts to put engine together.

ss ute will probably get a ripshifter,diff gears & a hardlid by end of the year lol.

You going to get the COME heads ported? any more mods?

Any progress is good progress, sucks when you got to do the work on ur own when ur kind of in a hurry. Youll get there :spoton:

#41 _dickiep_

_dickiep_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

hey gtrboyy, did you ever end up getting the gtr stockies on the lc? would like to see what they look like!

#42 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hi mate,have not been able to touch the car in weeks.I do like the way it looks with the 14" stockers...forgot to take pics.

I'd like to pursue with it using the torrie stubs/vk discs/hq calipers...the higher ride height & weight saving is the reason why,the stockies look nice imo,just that the vk rims are the wrong offsets,hits the radius rod too easily.

Few options to try:

1: Try some 14" hq rims & see what offset is like,if it works get the stud pattern fixed up.

2: Go back to hq stubs instead of the torrie ones & see if it works

3: Get the vk rims modified to the correct offset($160 per rim) if I do this might as well get them to make em' 15"

Last resort is to get the old brake kit changed to smaller brakes(to suit 15").

Other thing I need to find out is what the gtr centre caps are made out of then see if I can get them extended at the base to suit the commo stud pattern.

I haven't given up just yet.

#43 xu1kid

xu1kid

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Name:anthony
  • Car:lj gtr xu1

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

hi mate sorry for the thread jack just asking if you still selling the lj 6 high energy sump the damaged one you had for sale i was keen on it but never herd back and thread got deleted
cheers Anthony

#44 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hi mate,orangelj has dibs on the sumps..if he doesn't want them I'll let you know.

#45 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:11 PM

I have bought the same setup as you brakewise (vk discs machined down 5mm, hq calipers and torana stubs) planning on using 15" commodore stockies.
The 15" should clear it all right?
I have a friend that said I could dummy up on his car.

#46 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

Commodore wheels are wrong offset sadly.Hits the radius rod.
Just got a hq wheel today,trial fitted it...clears everything.Looks like the simplest fix is to use wheels with a hq offset.Hq rim on front & vk on back loos shit lol.

#47 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

Ah that sucks seeing as I just bought that whole setup... what about 15" VR-VS stockies?
or EVEN 16" VE ones... (with the centres machined of course)
or just use a pair of spacers?
are your gaurds rolled? with your diff, did you make it any narrower than the stock one?
Sorry for all the questions but I want to be prepared for this conversion.

#48 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Car is mini-tubbed,arches rolled,diff is 1370 I think,can fit just about any commodore wheel on the back,front end is the PITA the big brakes I had on it before were set up for commodore wheels using hq stub axles.

Now I'm trying to use vk discs/hq caliper on lc stub axle,tried vy ss 17",vk 14",b45 simmons & chasers...they all hit radius rod on full lock except for the hq wheel I tried today.It might work with a hq stub axle instead of the torrie one..haven't tried that yet.

I'll think about it some more & see what else works.

#49 _LJ355_

_LJ355_
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:53 PM

HQ gts wheels ?

#50 _tyre fryer_

_tyre fryer_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

oh, so you did use chasers, that was my plan.
By how much do they hit the radius rod? you're saying you need more negative offset (ie HQ wheels).
are you sure a set of wheels spacers won't work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users