Photo

Convert UC to LX?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 _petespipes1_

_petespipes1_
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2021 - 06:45 PM

Look its great we are all passionate about cars and we all have our different way of looking at it

not to shut anyone down but just reminding myself and others that we need to stick to the title of subject TOPIC

Not about my ideas or yours, this TOPIC is UC conversion to earlier LH LX

My main idea on topic is that many new builds on a non trade [car trade] person like myself does not have an endless stream of cash

UC being younger and possibly more likely to be available in more standard [ less expensive] form means it is a likely starting point for many trying to build a SLR5000 clone etc

yes,yes you have heard it all before but this TOPIC is not for those who already know everything. It is for those who need info. 

Relevant and up to date info.

2008 info is still very useful. 2021 info is more useful to most as we can post where we can access parts TODAY albeit fibregleaa or plastic or rare spares repo etc etc which is very useful to anyone building a car NOW

yep lets stay on topic. I will post info re every purchae as completed.

1. engine and gearbox. $8000 LS2 6 litre all alloy with matching Tremec 6060 from a VE driven to an accident 13500kms [good for 300 with TLC]

2.Fibreglass Bonnet. 700 plus freight from Vic. [total $1010] yes someone once saw a steel one cheaper. This is new and you can order it on your PC no looking etc. time is money.

more to come.

#27 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:07 PM

I reckon the best developments on this conversion front is the fact you can buy the tail light buckets and surrounding sheetmetal new.

Also there is a guy on FB that is hopefully making aftermarket sheetmetal radiator support panel soon so you won't have to scrounge for a decent second hand lh/lx rad support. Similar to how Obey did his on these forums a while ago.
Until they are available, I would still do the mod in a similar way, would just need to make rad support myself.

#28 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:11 PM

My car build (as linked in the thread already) uses a fibreglass set of guards, and fibreglass bonnet also. These don't change the conversion process significantly, or the build of the car generally, other than requiring pins in the front corners of the bonnet.

My conversion otherwise is done fairly conventionally, as steel is the preference in my opinion. I don't think I'd change that aspect although I'd make more of it myself (see Dirtbag's radiator support for example) if original cut-outs weren't available.

#29 Westside Performance

Westside Performance

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Car:Hatch

Posted 26 June 2023 - 11:12 AM

I know this is an old post but I am wondering if anyone here has passed a roadworthy after doing the Ebay UC to LX conversion. You need to remove 80% of the rad support panel to fit this conversion kit. Seems like a very risky way to do this conversion

Attached Files

Edited by Westside Performance, 26 June 2023 - 11:13 AM.

#30 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 26 June 2023 - 07:37 PM

I think you might get into trouble with that much fibreglass if the authorities chose to look closely at your car and decided you have altered its factory crash protection.

This is assuming you are looking at road registered use?

I suspect you would need to go down some sort of engineer or ICV (not modified enough though) process.

Do the eBay sellers of the glass kits make any representation on road legality or is it “off road use only”?

#31 Westside Performance

Westside Performance

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 10:07 AM

One of my mates purchased this EBAY UC to LX TORANA FRONT CONVERSION KIT

Nope, the add does not state its for off road use only.

Actually, my mate bought the kit and it didn't come with any instructions or anything. My mate had to contact the seller, then the seller emailed my mate a youtube video which shows you how to cut off the radiator support panel with a grinder.

Also, the add states "Once fitted it allows all standard LH/LX parts to fit" but the kit does not accept standard LX headlamp mounting hardware. My mate tried to fit the standard LX headlamp snap in inserts and the headlamp bucket tension spring just pulled straight through the fibreglass.

​My mate is pretty disappointed with this purchase but I think its going to be interesting when he tries to get a roadworthy and they see half his rad support has been cut off with a grinder ha ha

Edited by Westside Performance, 27 June 2023 - 10:09 AM.

#32 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 June 2023 - 03:00 PM

I can't see any problem, no different if a Torana was in a frontal collision and replacement panels were installed, frame rails or crumple zones have not been touched, its all window dressing.

#33 Westside Performance

Westside Performance

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 03:48 PM

I can't see any problem, no different if a Torana was in a frontal collision and replacement panels were installed, frame rails or crumple zones have not been touched, its all window dressing.

If this is correct, why would Rare Spares bother selling a lower radiator repair section for LH/LX?  According to your logic, you could just lob that rusty section off with a grinder.

Not sure if you can see it in the photos, but that lower section of the rad support includes a structural crossmember. 

#34 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,150 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2023 - 04:43 AM

You would of course reinstate the lower section...!

I'm struggling to see what the issue is too. Are the sections provided fibreglass rather than steel or something?

#35 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 June 2023 - 02:37 PM

Have to be steel you would guess, and I have changed far greater sheet metal restoring cars with little to zero problem if you do the right thing. And there would be no way I would not put the lower section back in.

Edited by myss427, 28 June 2023 - 02:38 PM.

#36 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 29 June 2023 - 08:56 AM

You would of course reinstate the lower section...!

I'm struggling to see what the issue is too. Are the sections provided fibreglass rather than steel or something?

Yes, the glue on eBay front and rear conversions are plastic.

Substantially less structural strength than panel steel and creates potential sharp shards on impact.

Cant imagine its roadworthy given these issues.

#37 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 June 2023 - 09:28 AM

Ok see the problem was not aware they are fibreglass.

#38 Westside Performance

Westside Performance

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 03:50 PM

Have to be steel you would guess, and I have changed far greater sheet metal restoring cars with little to zero problem if you do the right thing. And there would be no way I would not put the lower section back in.

Thats the whole problem with the fibreglass ebay conversion kit, you just cut out all the rad support metal and chuck it in the bin.  Its got to be the worst way to do the conversion and it cost over $2000 to buy it.  My mates kit fits so badly, he has been stuffing around with it for months.

There is a guy on Facebook called Peter Nash, and he will sell you a custom made, metal UC to LX radiator support panel that accepts the LH / LX nose cone for approximately $1000. Not sure if he is on here.

With the $1000 saved, you can buy yourself a mig welder and modify your UC guards to match the LX nose cone.

I've told my mate to send the fibreglass kit back.

#39 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 03 July 2023 - 08:17 PM

Is it seriously 2K for the fibreglass kit? A fool and his money...

#40 Westside Performance

Westside Performance

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 July 2023 - 12:09 PM

Yeah mate, that Ebay UC to LX fibreglass front end kit is $2000 plus delivery

I actually, I noticed some poor bugger trying to flog off his kit on Facebook market place at half price

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users