jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 15 February 2021 - 03:40 PM

So I'm just going to point out now that engine number 363 621 is a JL block and not a jp block but is a dual cast dated block. So
jp363 621 should never exist. Luckily these blocks cant be faked but since we recently saw a JL block with the L changed to a P I want this block to be known as a JL and avoid someone being potentially mislead in the very distant future. It also has identical fly cuts for the valves as what's shown in issue 33 of Australian Muscle Car Magazine.

#77 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:33 PM

I've just had it pointed out that the GMH fly cuts were only on the inlet valves and not the exhaust. I'd never noticed this myself until now.
The block that I referred to has fly cuts for both inlet and exhaust so I stand corrected. Sorry for the uneducated information earlier.

#78 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Name:JASO
  • Car:4/73 LJ XU-1. Adelaide build, Sunburst. 1963 EH Premier. Brisbane build, Portsea Blue.
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:05 PM

attachicon.gifpost-29046-0-29361100-1613347762 (2).jpeg

Are you sure that is 9G3 ? Looks like 8J3 ?

Hi All, just home from work, so politely, before the forum goes into melt down, i will share this.

9G3 is the single cast date code. An originally fitted Brisbane engine, now residing in an Adelaide body.

Body 1635-A is Sunburst.

In the images of the engine block without paint, as it had been acid bathed, where you may think there should have been a second cast date code on the alternator side, there appears to be some paint marking, but too far gone to actually read what it is.

The Body plate as fitted to my car is also the same body plate printed in Holdens Black Book - (Ironically).

I don't see how that equates to Dublin Green.(just sayin).

the Body plate is a bit bashed about and scratched...but this car had seen some Lakeside Raceway action back in the mid 90's....so lucky its even on the car i guess.
This cars VIN tag is long gone sad to say. Probly still laying in the grass trackside.

Anyway it is what it is.

Attached Files

#79 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Car:4/73 LJ XU-1. Adelaide build, Sunburst. 1963 EH Premier. Brisbane build, Portsea Blue.
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:19 PM

Just to set records straight, by all means anyone with any questions please do ask...

Or just look up my previous posted content, wrt this car when i first bought it back in 2012.

Cheers

Jaso

#80 FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

FLY_AGAIN_XU-1

Forum Fixture

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for clearing up the cast date, 9G3.

#81 73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

73SUNBURSTEXYOUWON

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2021 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for clearing up the cast date, 9G3.

Cheers, no worries, :)

#82 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 August 2021 - 01:35 AM

Torana's were upgraded all through their racing history and it still happens today.
Why did the 73 require re-homologation to Group C rules?
It was already homologated and there were only superficial changes for 73.

As far as I understand it, the 150 are the race capable cars - drive off the showroom floor Friday, drive onto the track Saturday. The heads and a few other bits and pieces were special equipment, NOT required for homologation.

By the end of the run of XU-1s in 73/4, every car had all the go faster bits, except the special racing equipment.

The excerpts from the Group C rules do not change this.

I have no doubt that cars went from 70 LC XU-1 spec all the way to 73 LJ spec.
The initial LC GTR racecars obviously were upgraded to XU-1 spec when they were released.

Grant..

PS. we need pics of some of the original LC GTR (not XU-1) cars for provenence too.

This all makes sense to me , would totally agree with you Grant

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users