Early 308 engine mount blocks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

gday

ive bolted in my 308 into my Lc but i have a little problem. the engine seems sit further forward from the back which means my gearbox needs to come forward 1''. this is fine but the gearbox xmember now doesnt line up with the holes in the chassis rails.

my question is - could this be becuase i have mixed up the engine mount blocks from the other side? is the left and right blocks interchangable?

the gearbox was originally behind a 202 and i didnt move it untill now that it needs to come forward 1''. i was told that the back of the 308 is in the same position as the holden 6??

thanks

#2 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2008 - 01:11 AM

What bellhousing are you using ???

Holden V8 boxes have a longer input shaft than a 6cyl box,,,,,,

but, if the 6cyl box is bolted to the V8 bellhousing (WHICH WILL NOT LAST, as the input shaft is not supported by the spigot bush in the back of the crank, & the clutch plate just drives the input shaft), the measurement from the front of the casing to the rear gearbox mount is the same for both boxes.

I get the impression you've got an after market short "chev" type bellhousing that is designed to use with the shorter 6cyl aussie 4sp or a Muncie & Saginaw 4 speed box.

Craig

#3 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

If youre using the right engine brackets(lh/x or kingswood) & sump(lc/j v8 aftermarket) you won't be able to move engine forward anyway,F.A clearance there.

That being said,I had a set of engine brackets out of a hx wagon,the engine didn't even fit in,the n/s head was touching firewall..wtf.Tried another set out of an earlier kingy & the engine sat in perfectly.

#4 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

sorry - i should have mentioned that i have a celica 5 speed with a CRS bellhousing.

its not that engine engine needs to go forward - its back:S

im just going to measure both the V8 CRS housing and the bellhousing i used when i had the 202 and see if there is a difference there. ill also measure from the back of the 308 to the engine mounts and do the same on the 202 - this shoud tell me where the 308 shoudl sit in relation to where the 202 sat.

#5 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,997 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 20 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

Sounds to me like you need a g/box "X" member mod.?

#6 _Toranamuk_

_Toranamuk_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

The Celica 5 speed when fitted behind the V8 will sit 5/8" (16mm) further forward than it will when the same gearbox is fitted behind a 6 cylinder.

You will need to move the x-member forward & lengthen the tailshaft by 16mm

Craig

#7 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:19 PM

cheers toranamuk - thats what i wanted to hear.

ive just finished modifying the xmember and now it all bolts up.

my next question is: im having some clearance issues with the extractors and need to drop the engine down a little to clear it up.
- im currently using HZ mounting blocks. i remember hearing that HG/HT mounting blocks are different and they will raise/lower the engine. what way is it?
- also - are HZ the same as HQ? (from what i can gather - most V8 LC conversion have HQ mounts).
- and further to my 1st post - im not sure if i mounted my engine mount blocks correctly (i just picked them up and bolted it on). im worried that i have mixed the right with the left hand side as my bellhousing is just rubbing on the passenger side side of the tunnel. does the the right fit on the left?

thanks

#8 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:45 PM

The hq mounts sit lower,lh/x mounts sit engine a few mm higher..there was a thread on that in lh/x foum section.As for the ht/g mounts I dont know if you could find a set these days or if they do in fact make a difference if you could find some.

Looking at the brackets it does seem like you bolt them on either side.

What brand extractors are you using,do they touch anywhere?

#9 _holdon_

_holdon_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:46 AM

Extractors I bought from ebay. The seller told me they didn�t hit when installed. They were used but in good condition with no visable signs of rubbing/hitting. I however do have issues with clearance � and have already knocked them up. They are 4-1�s and its pretty tight in there - the lower primaries on both side are hitting the crossmember support and the passenger side top primary is touching the tunnel/fire wall. It looks like if I drop the engine/tilt the back down this will fix all my clearance problems. I have dropped the gear box slightly to achieve this but it hasn�t given me the angle I need.

The reason I ask about the HZ mounts is that these might be higher than HQ and this might be what I need to drop the engine. I have about 18-20mm from the sump to the xmember so I have room to drop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users