Rear Suspension Mods for circut Toranas

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

Thought I would post some pics of the recent rear suspension mods to Waynes IPRA Hatch, all fabricated and installed by himself. On a slow track without any testing of different setting positions the car was nearly a full second quicker than previous on a slow track with very old rubber. He's very happy with the results so far and the car is noticably different. A lot of reserch was done on the net about current mods made to late 60's and 70's american muscle cars in racing and ideas and concepts adapted to the Torana.
The upper and lower control arms are are still attached under IPRA rules but serve no purose now.
Some of the pics are a little blurred. It would be nice to get the car on a hoist but thats not likely to happen.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

Pics are a bit hard to intemperate, do you have any diagrams to show the set up?

#3 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

Looks like a Watts Linkage with prefabbed different arms making a small half chassis by-pasting the std arms??...Maybe??
R

#4 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:20 AM

Looks like a pretty trick setup! Very hard to see exactly what's going on, but looks damn impressive! There's a great custom business opportunity for someone - selling off the shelf setups like that - just buy it, and weld it in. Transform all our old cars into superior handling little weapons.

#5 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

The pics don't really do the great work justice. It's too crowed under there to get decent photos. No drawing to post either.
R got it right in that it's a watts link setup. The torque arm is mounted from the diff to a secondary cross member.

#6 makka

makka

A m��se once bit my sister

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts
  • Name:Cohen

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:45 PM

The pics don't really do the great work justice. It's too crowed under there to get decent photos. No drawing to post either.
R got it right in that it's a watts link setup. The torque arm is mounted from the diff to a secondary cross member.

and that secondary crossmember is mounted through the upper arm mounts? to make it legal?
I have been thinking about making something similar if so

#7 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

I surprise myself sometimes...like now...
R

#8 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:03 PM

Torque arm or 3rd arm (3 link) works well on the rear of the Torana as it allows full articulation of the rear axle, unlike the factory upper arms that bind up and cause all sorts of problems....
Glad to see that more people are adopting this aproach to cure the Torana handling woes. This is the same system that I consulted extensively with Sam about.
If I could point out 2 potential problems....
The lower mount to differential housing needs to be reinforced and gusseted. Having a stud welded to a sheet metal housing with a rod end loaded in sheer on it is a recipe for diaster.The mount needs to be at least 16" square to distribute the load. Ideally I would delete this mount and pick up the mount off the front of the carrier mounting flange (plenty strong).
The fact that the torque arm is on the passenger side is a plus.
The big problem is that the rod ends are not IPRA legal when used in a longitudinal location, only in a lateral location device. The good news is that the articulation angles are almost negligable with this setup, so the use of DELRIN is encouraged.
Well done.... :clap:

Cheers Greg..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users