Photo

I'll show you how I cut guards from start to finish

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#26 _Viper_

_Viper_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

Awesome post, been looking for something like this for ages!

#27 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:11 PM

:clap: Thank god for this thread, I bought a full body kit for Tracie's Torana but holes don't match original flares so i gotta patch the old ones up, in the meen time the boy has claimed the new set for his torana and i was at a loss as to where to start now i will sit back and watch this project and do it properly, way to go Ruts :spoton: .

#28 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Car:Blown A9X replica, Black SS hatchback, LH SLR5000

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:07 AM

After reading some of the replies to this thread it seems that it has a been a good thing. I hope others can come away with the confidence of having a go themselves. I have 4 torana's to build at the moment so it looks like I am going to have to post some more stories about other paint and panel issues. I just wished it didn,t take so long to do the thread.

#29 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:29 AM

Yay :clap: more stories on paint and panel that would be great, how about one on repairing cracked or damaged spoilers and flares :rockon: ,or anyone else that has done or doing them, i'de have a go but at the moment have to organise a pool to put in, move plumbing, concrete pegola and erect pergola and carport :blink: :cry: it seems never ending.

Mort

#30 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:47 AM

Great work mate! Great thread! Good public service your doing too. Hopefully it means more people will cut the guards correctly and there will be less dodgy specimens out there!

#31 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:48 AM

Hey Mort I know what you mean. I had to stop work on our pergola to do this job for a forum member. I had to take on this job as we have to put in new septic trenches in the yard. Whenever I need to do something on the house I take on work. In regards to other threads I have to do a fair bit of work on this car like:
1) fit a rear spoiler
2) reposition the bonnet scoop
3) cut the front edge of the flare and spoiler
4) some minor rust repairs

I have a good mate of mine who will be doing the touch up paint on this car so I 'll be taking a few pics of the car in the booth. As stated I am doing 4 cars so there will be plenty of stories and pics to follow. The 4 cars I am building are:
1) Allan Grice L34 replica
2) restore an original SLR5000
3) an A9X replica
4) repaint my fathers SLR5000

Ruts

#32 _LH350_

_LH350_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:07 PM

Ruts,

very informative. Its great to see someone take such pride in their work. Looking forward to seeing the finished product ;-)

#33 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:53 PM

Keep watching it gets better.

#34 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:04 PM

lookes like i am goign about it the right way looks similar to how ive been going about it
i need to get my ass into gear and make a template for the rear quarters to fill the gaps i might wait to see the pics before i do anything

#35 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Good on you fella. The different cuts on the different doors are most interesting.

More people should do these sorts of articles, it is very rewarding for everybody, including the person doing the work, as your work is under scrutiny (EDIT: as well as your angle grinder :) ).

Edited by Yella SLuR, 18 August 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#36 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:25 PM

I'm just typing the next bit now. It has the infill for the 1/4s

#37 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:06 PM

Ok, today I put the infill in the 1/4 panel and finished off all the welds. Here is a picture of the 1/4 panel looking up from underneath. This shot shows the gap that we have between the inner wheel arch and the outer 1/4 panel.
Attached File  cutting guards 089.jpg   113.12K   8 downloads

Now I know that a lot of people like to cut the outer 1/4 and then cut the inner wheel arch a bit longer and then fold the inner up so that it meets the 1/4 panel. Now there is nothing wrong with that method and done right it look good and does not leave any sharp edges for the wheel to hit, I have done it this way many times before and I encourage that method (I'll show you how I do it on my next build). The problem I have with this car is that there is not enough of the inner metal left to fold out and meet the 1/4 panel. This was because of the previous repair. So what do we do you ask, we make a filler piece out of steel to fit in the gap. But what needs to done first is to clean up the opening so that the filler piece fits snug. I do this by using a hammer and dolly.
Attached File  cutting guards 088.jpg   263.51K   8 downloads

With a little bit of work the opening will allow a nice piece to put in. I actually had to open the gap up a bit so that the strip can be put in. When you cut the 1/4 open you will see that there is a double layer of metal in the inner wheel arch and what I like to do is to weld the gap closed first. Here is a picture of the cleaned up opening showing the second panel with a small gap exposed.
Attached File  cutting guards 089.jpg   113.12K   7 downloads

I clamp the two panels together and weld them up with an oxy,
Attached File  cutting guards 090.jpg   193.96K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 091.jpg   286.57K   8 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 093.jpg   120.77K   7 downloads

When finished you should have a nice clean weld that looks like this.
Attached File  cutting guards 094.jpg   174.3K   7 downloads

If your wondering whay I used the oxy it was because when I did my apprenticeship back in 1980 I only ever used an oxy and I can sometimes get a better weld with it. The only problem is the heat that it puts out which can distort panels very easily. A problem I had with this car is that it has about 30,000 coats of paint on it and when the paint burns it burns BIG.

Ok, now we have a nice clean opening it times to make template so that we can make a filler piece. I used a cardboard back cover off an exercise book.
Attached File  cutting guards 095.jpg   125.34K   7 downloads

I then held the cardboard in place and then I got a hammer and tapped around the edges which should leave an outline on the cardboard matching the opening.

Attached File  cutting guards 096.jpg   134.72K   9 downloads

I then cut the cardboard out on the marking that was left on the template and then laid the template on a sheet of metal, I use and old Dexion steel shelf as it is thicker than most panel steel. I then traced around the template with a texta and then cut the metal piece out.
Attached File  cutting guards 097.jpg   168.65K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 098.jpg   95K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 099.jpg   152.45K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 100.jpg   122.31K   7 downloads

I then put the filler piece into place and started tacking, remember slow and steady. Don't get too much heat in the 1/4 or you will distort the panel.
Attached File  cutting guards 101.jpg   94.51K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 102.jpg   117.98K   7 downloads

Once the filler piece is in place weld up all your gaps (BIT BY BIT). When done it should all look like this.
Attached File  cutting guards 103.jpg   346.71K   9 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 104.jpg   208.15K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 105.jpg   217.69K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 106.jpg   223.24K   7 downloads

Attached Files

#38 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:11 PM

shit theres some bog in that wheel arch... keep up the good work.

#39 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:31 PM

Once all the welding is done it's time to clean things up a bit. To do this I use my Rupes sander fitted with a velcro pad with 40 grit attcahed. This photo was taken after the job was done hence the stuffed edge.
Attached File  cutting guards 107.jpg   131.89K   7 downloads

It should look like this when finished. Again be careful as the grinding disc can catch a sharp edge.
Attached File  cutting guards 108.jpg   182.53K   8 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 109.jpg   212.31K   7 downloads

To clean up the edge on the dog leg I use a grinder and then finish the job by hand with a file. I do this as it gives me more control so that I don't take too much material off.
Attached File  cutting guards 110.jpg   141.81K   7 downloads

Just when you thinks you've finished you find that you may have a couple of low spots in the weld that may need more welding so that you can clean up the weld with the file. I am pointing to a low spot that needs more weld so that I can file a nice smooth edge in the dog leg.
Attached File  cutting guards 111.jpg   111.69K   8 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 112.jpg   175.51K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 113.jpg   165.21K   7 downloads

Once welded I again attack it with a file to get a nice clean edge now with no low spot.
Attached File  cutting guards 114.jpg   180K   7 downloads

Who says no-one does metal finishing anymore.
Attached File  cutting guards 115.jpg   152.45K   7 downloads

When I finished the 1/4 I went back and finished the welding on the door. When the welding was done I cleaned up the door edge with a small belt sander, which we in the panel game call a 'Sticky Beek' (however I'm not in the panel game anymore)
Attached File  cutting guards 116.jpg   29.97K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 117.jpg   103.15K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 118.jpg   156.83K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 119.jpg   104.53K   7 downloads

When it's all done the opening should look something like this.
Attached File  cutting guards 121.jpg   132.23K   7 downloads

Well that's it for today. I have to go to Sydney tomorrow but I may do some more in the afternoon. Next step is to refit the flare and then make a couple of small metal tabs to help hold the flare in place just like the A9X's had (or am I wrong Red) as well we might have to do a bit of glass work on the flares themselves. The way that I put the piece between the 1/4 and the inner guard gives us a flat surface just in case the body comes down that far and hits the wheel, no sharp edges. If you look at it and think 'gee that finish looks ugly', don't panic there's a bit to go yet.

STAY TUNED

Ruts.

#40 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:34 PM

Did someone say bog in the wheel arch, Your not wrong a bit of extra work to finish this one off. I love fixing other people's stuff up's NOT.

#41 marko1au

marko1au

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Car:LX sadan

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

absolutley awesome job ruts and believe me when i say i can't wait for the finished results. but ill wait like everybody else.

mark

#42 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:29 PM

Am I the only one waiting for Ruts to fill the old holes?

#43 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

great thread, nice work Ruts

#44 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:21 AM

Ok OK I get the message you want to see how I fill the holes in the door and 1/4 panel. Just for laughs I'll tackle this one when I get home today so the process will be posted tonight.

Ruts

#45 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

Now thats service :)

#46 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

G'day fellow lovers of anything Torana. Apologies as I got home late today and have not been near the shed (I'll have to say ten Hail Mary's). As such the welding of the doors and 1/4 panel have not been done but don't panic I have one more day off from work so tomorrow will be a big day, pics tomorrow night.

Ruts

#47 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

No apologies needed Ruts, we just glad you r doing this for us Torana lovers. :spoton:

Mort

#48 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

STICKY!!! :clap: :spoton:

R

Edited by rorym, 20 August 2008 - 05:26 PM.

#49 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

Take your time, don't worry about me.

#50 Ruts

Ruts

How Fast!?

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hello one and all. Well it has been a productive day in the shed and as such here I am again downloading pictures and typing a story for all to read.

Before we get into things I want to just tell everyone that whilst working on this car today it revealed that it has had some extensive bodywork done in the past. When you read this article I ask that everyone keep the comments about the previous repairs to themselves. In short I'll say it all now, this car has plenty of body filler in the doors and 1/4 panel but saying that I have not found any of it wanting to fall out in that the filler had sweated resulting in rust forming between the filler and the panel. Done correctly body filler will last for years and even thought this car has some in it it seems to be done right however a bit less would suit me. Remember this car belongs to a fellow member.

Ok, when I sat back and had a good look at the opening left in the wheel arch I noticed that there was a piece sticking out towards the rear of the arch and I was thinking that this bit could cause tyre damage if a big pot hole was struck. In the back of my mind I was never happy about leaving this bit as it was. You can see what I'm talking about as I have drawn an arrow pointing to the area. I have put the wheel back on and you can see that it is near the tyre.
Attached File  cutting guards 122.jpg   165.34K   9 downloads

So I took to this bit with the grinder and cutting wheel and took a bit more off.
Attached File  cutting guards 123.jpg   162.41K   7 downloads

Nothing sticking out to hit the wheel now.
Attached File  cutting guards 124.jpg   162.14K   8 downloads

I then welded up the edge and tidied things up a bit with a hammer and dolly.
Attached File  cutting guards 125.jpg   147.47K   7 downloads

I'm happier now with the way it looks. When you look up underneath the flare covers the rear of the wheel arch and when the flare is back on it's look a lot better.
Attached File  cutting guards 152.jpg   195.25K   7 downloads

Now that I was happy with the wheel arch it was time to weld the holes up in door and 1/4 panel that are not covered by the re positioning of the flares. I have marked the holes that need filling.
Attached File  cutting guards 127.jpg   156.11K   9 downloads

I noticed that when I looked down from above you could see that the holes were actually protruding from the door and needed a bit of work to make them smooth before welding. This shot is from above looking down showing the door skin protruding around the hole.
Attached File  cutting guards 128.jpg   116.11K   7 downloads

I used a hammer and dolly to straighten things up a bit.
Attached File  cutting guards 130.jpg   229.33K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 129.jpg   112.16K   7 downloads

When I was happy with the door skin I used another of my hand grinders to take off the paint around the holes.
Attached File  cutting guards 132.jpg   146.85K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 133.jpg   182.61K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 135.jpg   128.11K   7 downloads

As the holes in the doors and 1/4's were a fair size I had two options. Either make a number of small patch panels and put them in the holes and well them up or take another of my trusty tools and fill the holes with weld. What I do is get a piece of brass, either a big tap fitting or an air connection. I used both today.
Attached File  cutting guards 134.jpg   98.14K   8 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 144.jpg   82.31K   7 downloads

What you do is take whatever you use as long as it is made of brass and place it behind the hole. What happens is is that you can still weld the hold as the brass tool still allows and arch but stops the weld falling inside the hole which can cause the welder to blow the edge away from the hole creating an even large hole and more work. When you have finished just take the brass tool out as weld does not stick to it. It's an old trick but very effective. Remember to turn the amps down on the welder so that it does not burn so hot. Here is the brass tool inside the door and 1/4. It's a much harder job when working by yourself (I'll have to get me some friends).

The door
Attached File  cutting guards 140.jpg   125.15K   8 downloads

The 1/4
Attached File  cutting guards 146.jpg   168.23K   6 downloads

When I start welding I take my time and jump from hole to hole doing a bit of each of the holes at a time. As I weld I use an air blower and cool the weld off to help stop panel distortion.
Attached File  cutting guards 138.jpg   109.48K   6 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 139.jpg   156.08K   6 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 143.jpg   107.77K   7 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 142.jpg   134.7K   9 downloads

Attached File  cutting guards 141.jpg   160.57K   7 downloads

Once all the welding is done where ready to smooth the welds off.
Attached File  cutting guards 148.jpg   163.94K   7 downloads

I'll close this bit to keep some happy. More to follow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users