VR Commodore speedo

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _MR & MRS L34_

_MR & MRS L34_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:26 PM

Hey guys anyone know anything about speedos ,got in the wifes VR last night the speedo works but the odometer does not .
I think in a torry the cable does both , got me stumped.

Pete..

#2 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:31 PM

The little teeth that run the odo might be broken...

Tim

#3 _MR & MRS L34_

_MR & MRS L34_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

Are those teeth in the dash or the cable ,the reset odometer does not work either you know the one i mean you fill your tank and press reset to see how many kss you get out of a tank.

Pete..

#4 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

I don't know how the later model stuff works... This is just what I picked up when I pulled my LJ dash apart...

Tim

#5 mitchg

mitchg

The guy with the Torailer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,111 posts
  • Name:Mitch
  • Car:Was a '77 LX V6 Torana + Torailer now VX SS

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:17 PM

The odometer may have been dodged to show less kms, and never put back together properly.
I dont know how this works either, but you may be better off buying another one. They arent that difficult to replace, and it can make your car look like you have less kms than it really does! :P

#6 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:51 PM

is your fuel gauge playing up also?

#7 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

In early Commodores (VC-VH) the gears on the odometer part of the speedo broke, this may be the case with the VR. Maybe you could check with a Holden dealer, if it is a common problem they will know.

#8 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

Sometimes they jamm up after pressing the reset, try pressing the reset button a few time repetivly and see if it starts working again. On VN onwards the speedos dont run a cable there electronic so the stuff up is definatly in the dash if the speedo works but the odo dont.

John

#9 Collo

Collo

( . Y . )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114,647 posts
  • Car:A Black POS

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:30 AM

In nearly all the commodores ive had the odo. and trip meter havent worked so i assumed it was pretty common...

#10 Neils LX

Neils LX

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • Name:a

Posted 07 August 2008 - 07:42 AM

Hi
Both VRs i have had have got no probs with odometer just fuel gauge in ute goes to sleep for 5 minutes on the way to work. I would get a price to fix or just replace the whole cluser with another one. The fourm in just commodores is very good for help with these cars, i used it to update my dash from standard to a calais dash.
Chears Neil

#11 _nunganunga_

_nunganunga_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

If you pull the speedo head out of the instrument cluster and then unscrew the odometer drive motor (2 black phillips screws) you will find the small white gear has a broken tooth/ teeth. Make sure you account for and remove all the broken teeth otherwise it will jam up. I get my replacment gears from VDO, but you could go to a instrument repair place. Sometimes wreckers have these gears too.

With the early cable drive speedo heads, the drive gear slips on the shaft. I fix these by driving out the shaft a few mill and crimping the shaft with sidecutters and tap it back in.

#12 _MR & MRS L34_

_MR & MRS L34_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

Thanks guys for all the info will have a go at fixing the problem. We have had the car since knew and have never had a problem. Go the holdens

Pete

#13 _UDLOSE_

_UDLOSE_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

I know mine doesn't have enough numbers on the dial, i've had the needle resting on the bottom of the cluster too many times :tease:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users