• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hi Guys

I am looking to buy a drop tank for my LX sedan

Did a search and read all the information on here.
I know that are 2 basic styles .... Strapped and Strappless
And that the Brown Davis tanks are highly recommended

My questions:
I know that Brown Davis tanks are certified to make tanks,and there style is without the straps and bolt within the chassis.

So who makes the strapped tanks ?

Why are the strapped tanks more popular?

Why aren't the more strappless tanks?

What style do you prefer and why?

thanks

#2 _MR & MRS L34_

_MR & MRS L34_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

When i had a SLR 5000 in the mid 80s i had a drop tank put on it with straps and the tank was polished. A mob over here in W.A called Opposite Lock made the tank ,they looked mint a pain in the but to keep clean though.

#3 Growla

Growla

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Car:LX SL/R LS1 conversion completed July 2010

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:11 PM

For a strapped drop tank.
Unit 3, 6 Precision Place, Park Rd
Industrial Estate, McGrath's Hill
PHONE : (02)4587 9672
http://www.bondrollbars.com/

cheers
Mark

#4 _Rob 5000_

_Rob 5000_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:11 PM

Ok if you really wanna compare drop tanks and which look better then look no further than this thread. You'll see the with straps are the most popular coz they look the best.

http://www.gmh-toran...g while viewing

#5 _2wild4u_

_2wild4u_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

yep straps are the go, no straps are for commodores

#6 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:35 PM

straps here.

#7 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:04 PM

Imho strapless are best and I think you will find they are the style used on the racing A9Xs.

#8 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:34 AM

I have Straps, but thats because it was a 2nd hand tank! I like both, and would happily have either! Both look great, and whatever way you go its going to look tough as!

#9 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:23 AM

i have strapless as well - sounds so dirty lol. But both look great i think. The positions and shapes of the tanks are different too. the tanks with straps dont go as far back as the brown davis style ones but they sit lower as well.

#10 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:03 PM

Both styles look great - but personally I prefer the strapless Brown Davis ones, they have a sleeker look, and have the Bathurst history to them as LITRE8 pointed out - but variety is the name of the game. It'd be a boring world if we all had the exact same drop-tanks in our cars. I love looking at other peoples cars with different setups and different styles.

So tsn007 - it's all personal preference mate - don't base your purchase on what other people think - what do YOU like best?!

#11 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:39 PM

strapless is soooooooo much sexier! :D

#12 _rocket_

_rocket_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

Mine had straps on it when I first got it, but with a full load of fuel, it would move in the straps, so decided to modify it so it bolts to the rails, much better for what Im doing anyway, and more the group c look, rather than the street look.

#13 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

I've started a new thread today called "The DROPTANK thread" up in General Discussion. Hopefully a lot of people contribute, it should be fantastic for ideas & inspiration!

#14 tsn007

tsn007

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • Name:Tony
  • Car:LX hatch, LX sedan

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

Big thanks to LXCHEV for starting the thread "drop tanks" this thread is great why didn't i think of it

It has quickly made up my mind that the Brown Davies tank is the one to get, especially with their history and a prefered supplier of tanks.

Any thing i should know about fitting one to my car which runs a VN 5.0 efi motor

LXCHEV your car looks hot with that tank

cheers

#15 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:14 PM

don't forget to request a in built surge tank saves having to have one in your boot! also submersible pump set up as the old EFI pumps are noisy as! and from personal experience annoy the shit out of you if they are in the boot :D

#16 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:33 PM

Cheers tsn, happy to help out!

Fitting the tank to your car is very straight-forward, so you won't have any drama's there. Once you remove the standard factory tank and factory straps, there is one mod to carry out - grinding away the mounts for the original tank straps. Very easy, quick job.

The main thing you need to do - is talk the to the tank builder about your requirements - you mentioned EFI motor - therefore you will definitely require a return line etc.... they can add the appropriate outlets/inlets to the tank as required.

Many of us have had built in swirl-pots added at the creation stage, as well as larger pickups etc (eg. my tank has a 1/2" pickup in addition to the factory pickup - which I've just blocked off). Much easier getting all this done up front - modifying later on is painful, expensive, and generally means having to cut open the tank.

A built-in pump like UNVSM8 suggested would be fantastic too for an EFI car - much neater, quieter, and more reliable than an external pump. Once again, just chat to the various tank manufacturers to see if they can build them this way.

#17 mr5000

mr5000

chief break-everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts
  • Car:77 lx 4door

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

i will be going straps for sure

#18 royalplumss

royalplumss

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Car:had L31 SS Hatch

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

Brown Davis strapless heading my way in 2 weeks. Surge pot and VP/VT pump built in - 1/2 inch standard fitting to suit pump outlet.
Love the strapped look that I had before the EFI but also like the look and dimensions of the BD tank. Horses for courses as they say. An ugly Torana is better than no Torana. Mine of course is the nicest as it is low, fat, flaired, tanked and purple (the nicest color as well!!)
See! - Easy to start an argument.

#19 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:39 PM

Ah, I like the straps, something nice about undoing them!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hopefully looks familiar:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Finally found the pic I was after!!!

Posted Image

#20 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:01 PM

Brown Davis strapless heading my way in 2 weeks. Surge pot and VP/VT pump built in - 1/2 inch standard fitting to suit pump outlet.
Love the strapped look that I had before the EFI but also like the look and dimensions of the BD tank. Horses for courses as they say. An ugly Torana is better than no Torana. Mine of course is the nicest as it is low, fat, flaired, tanked and purple (the nicest color as well!!)
See! - Easy to start an argument.

hey mate may i ask how much it cost you as that is exactly what i want :P! and i so glad you went strapless because the look tuff!

#21 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

Ben, I think the UC's rear floorpan is different, making drop tanks harder to fit? Something to do with the spare wheel well... Just something to think about.

Tim

#22 _UNVSM8_

_UNVSM8_
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:39 PM

it would still be around the same price... and the hatch's are different to the sedan anyway.. its not as bad as some think

#23 _crackers23_

_crackers23_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Does anyone know if the 1974 LH SLR 5000 had a drop tank as standard please?

#24 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

No.

#25 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Tough question Tony.

I think Brown Davis should have given Howard his tank for free. That car is responsible for many of their sales! 

As mentioned, the strapless tank (BD) requires removal of the rear strap brackets. This is something that probably shouldn't be done with a 'collectable/valuable' vehicle. 

Strapped tanks require no mods to fit.

I've been dicking around with mine lately before it goes in for polishing. It looks like the VL lift pump might be suitable.

DSC00981_zpsa07fbee0.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users