enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:02 PM

It has once again come up that some are wondering how many Strike Me Pink XU-1s were built, and how many have survived the ravages of time.

I thought that it would be worthwhile to start a SMP Register (which may carry on to other collectable cars) to see what we can achieve.

If anyone has a list of those XU-1s built in SMP, by VIN perhaps we can start to account for those that exist.

All cars will need to be confirmed by someone - eg. you've seen one local, but never been able to look it over and check it out - unconfirmed. I have three very good friends with SMP cars but have only ever seen one of them - thus I could only confirm the one.
You cannot confirm your own car - you know who you are! :P

Lets start it like this, and adjust as required. No full owner names or precise locations please. We came up with 30 built and nine left before if I remember rightly.

[codebox]
Cars built

month/year VIN
[/codebox]

1 x South of Sydney - 6/72, VIN................... confirmed by: 82911
1 x Sydney - VIN...................... confirmed by: enderwigginau
1 x Northside Brisbane - VIN............................ confirmed by: unconfirmed
(Yes, but until we actually see it driving to T/fest :P )
1 x London - VIN............................... confirmed by: Miss Pinky
1 x Cairns - Rego: PWH-161, VIN: 82911JH221723, prod: 25.01.72 & stamped 1/72. confirmed by: GML-31
1 x Melb under resto - 6/72, VIN..................... confirmed: unconfirmed at this time
1 x NZ (Ex-QLD), delete rear spoiler - VIN.......................confirmed:rorym
1 x Perth, 6/72 VIN.............................confirmed: not fully confirmed but exists.

Grant..

#2 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

London?

Do tell

#3 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

Rory Knows of a Qld car that was shipped to NZ recently

#4 _Hatchblack_

_Hatchblack_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

The London car is a genuine XU1 and has been confirmed by an SMP owner in OZ

#5 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:55 PM

HSVGTS has one in Cairns

#6 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

There's one in my car club,cheers.

#7 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

Mine has changed hands, but is still in the area...
6/72 Brisbane car.
Will let the owner tell more if he wants to.
Cheers Greg..

#8 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

Rory Knows of a Qld car that was shipped to NZ recently

Now in NZ ...John Mac..thats all I am saying..off shore oil drill jockey...normally works in China.

Owned from new SMP with delete rear spoiler...he hated them...Confirmed. Saw the original invoice.
R

#9 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:21 PM

there is a 6/72 adelaide built under restoration in melbourne

#10 HSVGTS

HSVGTS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Name:HSVGTS

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

G'day Grant,

My wife's SMP XU-1 has the following details Rego: PWH-161, VIN: 82911JH221723 and the production date was 25.01.72 and stamped 1/72.
And it lives in Cairns NQ.

Regards...........

#11 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

is the smp promo car in magazines of the era still alive? is it one of the above cars mentioned, hope so.

#12 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

HSVGTS owns that car :spoton:

Tim

#13 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

HSVGTS owns that car :spoton:

Tim

thanks tim, it couldnt be in better hands by the look of it, hey Hsv Gts is your a9x also the promo car (jno652). on a different note, its a pity the l34 promo didnt have much exposure, as i own it. good pic on oct 74 wheels mag of it and a b/w side shot but thats it.

#14 MustardGTR

MustardGTR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Car:72 GTR, 73 GTR

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:54 PM

There is a 6/72 SMP in Perth or at least there use to be. Here's how the story goes:-

��Seems like just the other day I looked at a 6/72 LJ XU1 "unfinished project" which was advertised in the W.A. weekend classified. I made the phone call, got the details and went over to check the car out all in 5 minutes, as it was literally one suburb away. The car had been painted blue at some stage but it was complete (except CD175's), just unlicensed. So I made an offer and got a handshake and nod from the seller.
As the seller went into his house to collect paperwork, others arrived to view the car. One of the guys who arrived took one look at the car and with little hesitation intercepted the seller before he had the paperwork for me. At this stage I was busy noting down body number, VIN number, id plate details, etc. Next minute the seller was back telling me the deal was off - better offer from the other guy @%+!*.
Dazed and confused I left, but the worst was yet to come! I followed up on the vehicle ID, including the paint code: PAINT:568-13891

I still remember the car vividly�.wouldn�t you if you missed out on a SMP XU1 for 3K!. :cry:

PS: I still have the VIN details, etc

#15 _UFO XU1_

_UFO XU1_
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:55 PM

Fly again xu-1 has one 8/72 factory SMP.Confirmed by me
cheers.

#16 HSVGTS

HSVGTS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:29 AM

Yes it is PWH-161 originally featured at the LJ series Press Release at Surfers Paradise Raceway in early �72.

Harry Firth was there along with the Journalist�s and about three XU-1�s and the only reason PWH-161 got the attention was because of the hideous colour Strike-Me-Pink, or that�s what we thought at the time, we�re all driving muncho XU-1�s in tuff colours and then this poofter pink colour arrives, wasn�t happy. Obviously the reason for so many being repainted other colours later on.

In 2007 when we brought Harry Firth to Cairns for our All Holden Day he confirmed he had actually driven PWH-161 showing the Journalist�s how to get around Surfers Raceway as a few were given a drive of the new model XU-1.

In 1972 PWH-161 featured in Wheels, Modern Motor and Sports Car World, and whenever you see a SMP XU-1 in recent magazine photo�s and books it�s usually from the old file photos of PWH-161.

And no Chrome yella, my A9X isn�t JNO-652, wouldn�t mind it, I think it lives somewhere in NSW, not sure? And also I think it�s a shame the L34 isn�t recognised a lot more for its achievements through development of what ended up a great race car just for the A9X to take the accolades. At least the L34 had a special motor not just the old Kingswood 308.

Cheers.......

Wheels Mag 1972

Posted Image

The file photo that gets flogged around in Mags & books.

Posted Image

In Cairns

Posted Image

Posted Image

Harry with PWH-161 in Cairns 2007

Posted Image

Edited by HSVGTS, 28 August 2008 - 07:35 AM.

#17 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 07:52 AM

She definately is a beutiful car Peter and very well kept !

When is your next All Holden day ??

#18 HSVGTS

HSVGTS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:31 AM

We just had our 2008 event, some pics on the link below if your interested.

2009 will be even better, still planning and in talks, hoping to bring up some race cars......regards

http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=28774

#19 _chrome yella_

_chrome yella_
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:04 AM

thanks Hsvgts for the info and pics, once again, a credit to you. it has to be the only body shape made that looks great in that color. cheers

#20 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 10:30 AM

My twin brother swapped his restored Lone Oranger 72 HQ GTS Coupe for an Adelaide Built 72 XU-1 from Peter James Motors on South Rd here in Adelaide in 1987. The car was painted Salamanca Red and had black trim. Apart from the normal 72 spec XU-1 bits the car also had Sprint Masters and a replacment NP prefix engine

According to the Salesman the car had been raced by the previous owner who had owned the car for some years. The car had previously been wacked in the L/H front guard as there was a large mig weld which could be seen through the rail and skirt.

Upon checking the trim tag it reveiled the car was originally painted Strike Me Pink which could be clearly seen under the red paintwork when my brother hit a small pole after loosing control one night in the rain, "Still getting used to the LSD" :D, anyway he owned the car for sometime and replaced the NP engine with a stock 202 item after throwing a rod on Grange Rd one night. He claimed he had seen 140MPH in that car on that same night after spending some hours fine tuning the engine and carbs before throwing a leg out at a claimed 7000rpm.

He kept the car for approx 12months before loosing interest and placing it for sale in the Trading Post.

The car was purchased by a guy working in the Air Force based here in Adelaide for the pricley some of $4700.

My twin is a family man now but wishes he still owned at least one of the cars every time I remind him of what they are worth these days in particular the SMP XU-1.

I wonder if the car 830hp is talking about could possibly have been my brothers?

HSV GTS, your wife's car looks fantastic would have loved to seen it when we drove back up to Cairns but ran out of time, at least we were lucky enough to see your beautifull A9X! :clap:

Regards

Alf :spoton:

#21 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

Edited by xu2308, 27 January 2018 - 01:08 AM.

#22 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:54 PM

1 x Northside Brisbane - VIN............................ confirmed by: unconfirmed
(Yes, but until we actually see it driving to T/fest :P )

Didn't drive to T'fest last year too much of a unknown reliablity risk ! (5 years off the road)
But many have seen and can verify the sh!tbox , Andrew from Milton Performance (RIP), Todd martin , Darren from QLD Xu1 club , Tuffgong (johnny), Aldo (Xu1's on the mountain), Bruce (Flyxu1) T'fest 2008.

Some of my details are 1/72 Brisbane build matching block to chassis

#23 _pantah_

_pantah_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Nice guys.....I like the way you all are into this! And what a beautiful car!!! Colour.....!
ATTN :Wayne and the L34 registar...........How easy could it be....?

#24 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

^^

I still don't believe you Dave :P

Grant..

#25 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

1/1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (Brisbane Built)PWH.161 Ex GMH Promo Car 
6/1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (Brisbane Built) Sydney (82911 old car) 
3/1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (Adelaide Built) Miss Pinky Car 
8/1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (Adelaide Built) Fly Xu1 Car 
1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (XXXXXXXXXX) England XU-1 (Dont know Build Date or if its a Adelaide or Brisbane XU-1)
1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (XXXXXXXXXX) NZ John.A SMP Car in South Island of NZ 

1/1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (Adelaide Built)  Melbourne 
3/1972 SMP LJ GTR (Adeliade Built)Was in Melbourne now in Brisbane,have Listed its Details all ready
5/1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (Adelaide Built)In Melbourne XU.100 
1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (XXXXXXXXXXX) MR XU1 Qld Car (Brisbane Built Car been from Qld) (This is xuidave, yeah? - ender)
1972 SMP LJ XU-1 (XXXXXXXXXXX)514 PAE Qld car (Guessing a Brisbane Built Car been from Qld)

Here is some i know of,i have some Vin Details on some,but owners of these cars might not want me Listing these details,so i leave it to them to List 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users