8 replies to this topic

#1 originalglenn

originalglenn

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hi Guys, Im about to wire up the car again and thought id replace the wiring in the engine bay.(The interior wires seem ok but the engine ones are brittle and missing insulation in some places)
Now Im wondering what to do about the connectors( the ones that connect into the loom
Can these be purchased as a new item or will I have to splice new wires onto the old?

What other alternatives have I got?

ta

#2 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 09:33 PM

Hey Glenn, I've rewired my whole LC from scratch and also hid all the engine bay wiring as it is makes things a lot neater. I just used quick connecters as in 6 or 8 pin connecters from autobarn to connect things like the dash for easy removal, front to rear harness and also the wires coming from the steering colum ect. It made things a lot easier and i can removal the whole harness from the car in 5 mins.

With the dash wiring, i wired it all up and then cut it and put connectors in so to remove the dash you dont have to disconnect all the wiring.

Things like the light switch connector, wiper connector, ect. can be re-used, just buy the proper terminals with the locking clips which hold the wires in the switch when they are pushed in. If you want new ones rare spares may supply them, but i just used the old ones and replaced the terminals. I think it cost roughly $250 for all the gear to make the harness, which included wire, terminals, heat shrink, relays, ect, and a new fuse box which i wired up in my glovebox along with the relays for my lights.

Cheers

Les

#3 _lj chev_

_lj chev_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:11 AM

hey is it possible to buy a brand new loom with everything needed ready to go in?

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 11:56 AM

you can buy pain free wiring harneses for about $1000 i think. probably worth it really.

#5 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2006 - 04:27 PM

painless they are called.
thats what i used.
painless they are not lol but it sure beats working from scratch.
they are around $700

#6 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:56 PM

Isnt there one called 'aussie looms' or something that go for $550.I think the real problem would be finding replacement plugs/connectors as most of the plugs have become brittle.

#7 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:34 PM

Made my whole harness myself for under $350. Pretty Simple really if you understand it. Sure beats paying over $700 for one and if you make it your self you can add all your stuff into the harness before it's taped up and hiddn under the guards ect....

If i had the time i could make up a few ready to put into cars, you would just have to cut a few wires and put plugs on the wires from the steering column, ect.

Can take a few photos of my wiring if people would like, just to give you and idea.

Cheers

Les

#8 originalglenn

originalglenn

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

Hi Les
I love to see some photos
was wondering what did you do about the coil wire( must have a certain resistance, and what about the fusible link in the big fat red wire?

#9 mrlctorana

mrlctorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

You mean the thick red wire with the fusible link that goes to the starter motor, You can buy the fusible links, although i cant remember where from.

Will try and get some photos for you very soon.

Cheers

Les

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users