GMH-Torana Drag Day at Willowbank

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 _faro-308_

_faro-308_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:45 PM

I've just joined this site and heard that you guys have all torana drag days. Could anybody tell me if there is anything on the drawing board for willowbank raceway?
Cheers.

#2 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:49 PM

G'day Faro,

Saw your car at Powercruise, nice beast man !! Oh yeah, and welcome to the site :D

As far as I know a gmh-torana drag day at Willowbank hasnt been organised as yet however its a bloody good idea. QLD Torana Club have drag days from time to time and we generally get a few cars out there. Here is a vid from one last year (quality is a bit ho-hum though) QTCC Willowbank

If there is enough interest I can organise a combined QTCC and GMH-Torana drag day. Will just be a normal test and tune meet but Im sure we could get a staging lane and set up some "club only" races.

If anyone is keen for this, post a reply. Will aim for late October.

Cheers,

Tony

#3 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

Go for it guys! It is the best fun! And its awesome to get out and meet other guys off the forums!

We have run them for the past 3 years down here at Heathcote, and they have been fantastic (Little hot last year though... 43 Degrees i think it topped out at)

We have found that by giving a good build-up (3-6months) allows for people to get their cars finished and up there for the day! Also allows lots of friendly banter and stuff to be thrown around the forums!

#4 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:27 AM

Big t - you were at powercruise? Were you just spectating? Im surprised you didnt see me out there.

on topic, i think its a great idea, and even though i wouldn't be able to push my car to its limits in october i'd still be there having some fun.

#5 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:49 AM

Aggro, I was out there on the Sunday only and yeah I was only spectating. I dont think my "half primer" UC would have fitted in very well :-)

I was on the look out for "known Toranas" but I didnt spot yours? I obviously wasnt looking hard enough !!

Just thinking about the October date after Matts suggestion of 3 months lead time, maybe it is too soon? I am open to suggestions, let me know what you all think.

Cheers,

T

#6 Joshua

Joshua

Lotsa Posts!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
  • Name:Joshua

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:20 AM

we could have it early next year around the same time the southerners have theres
but that's a fair way away

#7 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:28 AM

Yeah, We need to oragnise ours very Soon, we aim for March every year!

#8 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts
  • Name:Grant
  • Car:76 LX Sedan, 4 seater

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

Maybe aim for Nov and March, T.

Get onto Willowbank and see if it can be a little official.
Would be good to get a copy of every torana timeslip for the night.

Grant..

#9 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

Nov and march works for me. I know willowbank can do a dedicated drag day for us, they have done a few for commodore clubs around brisbane.

Tony, aggro was only out on track sunday afternoon, i took a ride in a big block chevelle sunday morning.

#10 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

They probably slug each car hard though in an entry fee.
If we could try and piggyback a normal test and tune, we may be able to get our name out and everyone can still pay the normal rock up charge.

And you can all put other makes to shame!!

Grant..

#11 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:44 PM

Righto.

I have spoken to Willowbank and put a bit more thought into this.

We can hire the track for 2 hours prior to a Test and Tune. Track is prepped, catering is available and all the normal functions of a Test and Tune are operational ie Time slips etc. We can then hang around for the T and T and race if we want to. Gates will open at 2pm and we have the track until 4pm. This is for a Saturday only.

Cost - Willowbank require $45 per competitor and that will get a spectator in as well. This also includes the test and tune session. Spectator only is $19, once again giving access to the T&T. Children under 13 are free of charge.

The catch - we need to have at least 30 competitors and no more than 60.

The proposal - I would like to have trophies and prizes for various wins (fastest out right, highest mph, closest dial in etc - yet to decide, will need more input) and to cover this I reckon $50 for competitors is fair. I would also like to invite other clubs with a Torana flavour to compete. I dont think we can get 30 cars with just gmh-torana and QTCC (but I would like to proved wrong). I will speak to a few clubs and see what we can muster up and if anyone has any clubs to suggest, please let me know.

Advertising - I will approach Speed FM and see if we can run some ads for those who have a Torana but no club affiliation. I will also see if I can get something in Street Machine, Extreme Street, Extreme Holdens and Queensland Street Car. Im sure other ideas will be propsed here so bring them on.

A few other ideas - I will put together a DVD and photo CD from the days events. This will be given to each competitor at no charge. As Grant suggested, a time slip registery will be done. This will obviously be needed to award trophies and prizes.

Your thoughts? - Should we limit this Toranas only? What other clubs can I approach? Suggestions for trophies (like fastest out right, fastest 6, fasted 8 etc) Is $50 reasonable?

Proposed date due to availability and to coincide with the Vic GMH-Torana drag day will be March 2009 sometime. I will need to know numbers and get some sort of commitment by at least November to secure a date in March.

Okey, dokey - Over to you guys :D

#12 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:49 PM

Nov and march works for me. I know willowbank can do a dedicated drag day for us, they have done a few for commodore clubs around brisbane.

Tony, aggro was only out on track sunday afternoon, i took a ride in a big block chevelle sunday morning.

Aggro, was that the Black Chevelle? Les (Fat Pipes) car? If so you are a lucky man, that thing is awesome.

#13 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:54 PM

This doesn't affect me, but maybe you could invite the Monaro guys? Just to stay with the Holden tribe, but it might make making up numbers easier...

Tim

#14 Joshua

Joshua

Lotsa Posts!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

well, lets get an idea of how many peeps from here

so so far in the thread we'd have

1) Big T
2) AGGRO
3) enderwigginau
4) Joshua
5) ?

#15 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:20 PM

Big T, We could try and coincide with you guys, then get plugs for both our Drag-days in all those various medias!

Maybe i should start a thread for us vic guys! Nation wide drag days?

#16 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:22 PM

Except SA :<_<: Unless we go to Whyalla. 1/8th mile, woohoo!

Tim

#17 _faro-308_

_faro-308_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:27 PM

well, lets get an idea of how many peeps from here

so so far in the thread we'd have

1) Big T
2) AGGRO
3) enderwigginau
4) Joshua
5) ?

faro-308 here, count me in for any day, $50 sounds like a bargain and some of the ideas being thrown around should make it an interesting day.

#18 _AGGRO_

_AGGRO_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

One of the guys on here lee would probably be keen, dunno his username but i know him personally. So add him to the list. I agree with tim, keep it holden only - and old school would be preferable. I like the trophies idea and the media ideas as well. Depending on how much the trophies are - should have a few fun ones. Maybe slowest or best breakage? Stuff like that.

yeah it was les' black chevelle. I hang out with him time to time, and we had both cars in a show together. But that thing is mental now with the big engine in it.

#19 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:34 PM

Umm, I don't think the Laser will qualify.

Invite the GTR/XU1 Club - is Smiley still about? - and the HTC of Q just incase.
Torana's and Monaro's as preference then fill the rest with other makes/dailies up to 60 if need be.

The boss won't let the GTR out as she doesn't want me to break the speedway motor!! :P

Toranamat would probably come, as will a fair whack of the QTCC/SEQHC ppl - GML-31 etc.

I might have some motor bits if you want to MAKE trophies.....

Grant..

#20 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

Home made trophies would be the go... Engraved pistons/rods etc :spoton:

Tim

#21 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:40 PM

You need a handbag race!

Then Big Vs Little (LC/LJ Vs LH/LX/UC)

DYO (Male and Female)

Best Reaction Time?

Fastest and Slowest

Best Burnout

The list goes on!

2 Hours will fly by, it would be best if you get about 30ish cars there (Not close to 60) So you can get as many runs in as you can before the general public come it!

60 cars is a HEAP of cars! Probably only get about 30 races in an hour.

#22 Joshua

Joshua

Lotsa Posts!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

Umm, I don't think the Laser will qualify.

it's 6 months away! plenty of time to build your car

#23 enderwigginau

enderwigginau

Admin Wrangler

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000,527 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

You popping over to help kiddo?

T - Just to clarify - gates open 2pm not racing. So til cars are staged/officials are set to run, we don't race.
Are the ppl running allowed to stay on into the normal Test'n'Tune or do they have to leave/pay again? (What's the normal cars limit for a T'n'T?)

I think it will be just heads up (pro-start at random :P ) and we'll determine trophy winners through normal runs.

Fastest Car
Most Exciting Run (Blow ups/Superfast runs/2 HBs hehehe)
Best Reaction - M & F
Closest Finish
Most Embarrassing Loss :D
Make Us Wait award - oil down!!!
Club Trophy - Handicapped

Not too many, but enough to make it interesting.

Joint GMH-Torana/QTCC so it can be a legal run.

Grant..

#24 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

i'll be there..

#25 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:58 PM

Grant - Gates open at 2pm, racing kicks off at 2:30pm. Entry fee of $45 includes entry to test and tune as well. People are most welcome to continue racing or spectating for TnT. Not sure of TnT limits. Ive been there and seen bugger all cars and also been there with heaps of cars. I dont think there is a limit for TnT.

We can pay an extra $220 and thats gets us another hour of racing i.e racing starts at 1:30pm. If this is something we would like to do it will be an extra $7-30 per competitor. Its an option.

Great suggestions for the trophies so far too.

Definately combined run gmh-t/QTCC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users