GMH-Torana Drag Day at Willowbank

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#126 _waz355_

_waz355_
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:54 PM

Ha, they were telling everyone on Saturday night that they could no longer use them. I heard them say it to half a dozen people in front of me and they said it to me too. They must have their wires crossed somewhere there. Was just talking to two other guys that were there and they said thats exactly what they were told as well, none of us ANDRA license holders.

Oh well guess I won't be buying a new helmet.

#127 _OLC383_

_OLC383_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:11 AM

Just checked up on the willowbank web site & if you click on any date of the calender that you would like to race or attend at it come's up with all the details for that meeting & high lighted in red it states that all ANDRA licence holders must abide with the current (NEW) helmet regulations & that all NON-ANDRA licence holders can still use the AS1698 regulatted helmet.
imagine being a bike rider heading out to test your bike & on arival being told that your helmet dosnt meet the correct regulation, but its ok to ride any where around town & on public highways

Edited by OLC383, 15 January 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#128 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

Bikes have to crack into the 9s before they need a Andra licence,(so AS1698 should still be ok) i dont think that many test and tune riders will be doing 9s ,even if the "bike" IS capable of running 9s,you actually need to know "how to ride", and have balls made of.....well, at least hard plastic or something ;)

As i am led to believe, the new standard requires impact testing from a 45deg side angle (more common in motorcycle accidents),not just top and side as before, so if this is true it does not mean a AS1698 will not stand up to the impact, just that it has not been tested under those circumstances ?

All that said, i can fully understand why ANDRA and Willowbank needs show it is trying to maintain the same level of saftey as Standards Australia suggest is available ,and i would say, public liability insurance first for a start, unfortunately a lot of people now seem eager to look for someone to blame (or sue) in any unfortunate event, instead of taking responsability for their own actions.

And at the end of the day it also depends on the individual as well, and whats a replacement head worth, if you got a $2 head i guess you only need a $2 helmet ?

MT

#129 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:43 PM

And at the end of the day it also depends on the individual as well, and whats a replacement head worth, if you got a $2 head i guess you only need a $2 helmet ?

MT

Cool, so its an ice cream container and a piece of string for me then !! :tease:

#130 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

I'll just use the lid of your container "T", got any spare string or maybe I could just staple it down !!

#131 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

I noticed on the Nostalgia drags entry form they only mention you need the AS1698 helmet as well. Doesn't matter I checked mine and it complies with the ANDRA rules so all good for me.

#132 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 12:41 AM

Mr T , i just thought it would help to re-cap again so everyone is clear ! (please correct or add any info i miss)

The Date of racing is... Sat 28th March 2009

Location is... Willowbank raceway, Ipswich,QLD http://www.willowbank-raceway.com.au/
Starting time Gates open @ 2pm Racing starts @ 2.30pm everyone can still continue racing with/when the general public is allowed in some time after 4pm, test and tunes normally close lanes at approx 9.30pm but can go to 10-10.30pm approx, depending on entrant numbers etc.

Cost is "pre-paid" $50, Non refundable (Payable to Big-T ,but admission can be transfered to another person/car with reasonable notice)

Go Here for Payment Details.... http://www.gmh-toran...showtopic=34317

Admission includes, 1 Car + Driver/competitor and will get 1 Passenger/spectator in as well for "free" (passengers not allowed to travel in the car when racing on the track itself)

Normal T&T race price is $38 so $50 for a "private 2 hours before as well" is good value, extra "spectator only" is $19, once again giving access to the T&T. Children under 13 are free of charge.

We now have over 30 (but no more than 60 cars/entrants will be allowed) so this IS all GO!, still time to enter and come have some fun !

QTCC Members � as this is a sanctioned club run those on SIV registration are welcome to attend.

If you wish to RACE,you WILL need to have/bring the following...An Australian Standards approved helmet (AS1698 sticker on the helmet meeting Aus standards,normally on back) i raced at a T&T on a "8yr old" Aus approved helmet (was inspected by willowbank staff)

Long sleeve shirt, long pants (no shorts), covered shoes (no thongs)

Your CAR will also need a radiator overflow bottle/catch can if it is not equipped with one (plastic coke bottle and zip ties will suffice).

You will most likely required to fill out a indemnity form, from experience its better if you bring your own PEN (you wont get one with your form)

Normal functions of a Test and Tune are operational, Time slips will be available, as will food and drink,Track is prepped,and access to tower PA has been granted.

The trophy classes will be:

Quickest Torana (Male)
Quickest Torana (Female)
Quickest Non Torana
Best Reaction Time (Male)
Best Reaction Time (Female)
Best Burn Out - Big T's Choice
Most Entertaining Run
Slowest Run Under Full Power

I will be organising a meet/cruise to Willowbank on the 28th, departing from "Munchies" car park (Cnr Beaudesert Rd & Elizabeth St Acacia Ridge),so that way it will be a easy option for the people that have not been to the track before, plus it could be fun to travel up in group anyway ?

Meet from 12 onwards, depart munchies @ 1pm to get to willowbank by 2pm (gates open)

To avoid any dissapointment, Please check you have EVERYTHING listed above ^ in the Blue writing :deal: before you leave home on the 28th.

Mt

#133 _mumstaxi_

_mumstaxi_
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

Anyone not sure how to get to Willowbank Raceway ,or anyone just wishing to join us for a cruise to Willowbank on the 28th, we will be meeting at "Munchies" car park (Cnr Beaudesert Rd & Elizabeth St, Acacia Ridge) between 12 noon & 12.30.

Meet from 12 onwards, depart munchies @ 1pm to get to willowbank by 2pm (gates open)

Our route will take us along the Logan Motorway, this is a Toll road so please bring $2 or your E-Toll for the Toll.

We have a couple of cars already ,but so we can get i rough idea of interest and numbers Please add your name if you think you may come. B)

Cheers,

MT

#134 _ripitup5000_

_ripitup5000_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:59 PM

G'day Faro,

Saw your car at Powercruise, nice beast man !! Oh yeah, and welcome to the site :D

As far as I know a gmh-torana drag day at Willowbank hasnt been organised as yet however its a bloody good idea. QLD Torana Club have drag days from time to time and we generally get a few cars out there. Here is a vid from one last year (quality is a bit ho-hum though) QTCC Willowbank

If there is enough interest I can organise a combined QTCC and GMH-Torana drag day. Will just be a normal test and tune meet but Im sure we could get a staging lane and set up some "club only" races.

If anyone is keen for this, post a reply. Will aim for late October.

Cheers,

Tony

Im in ,will have the chariot run in by then and no bloody electrical problems.Big T let us know whats going on,im sure i can get another 4 or 5 cars.Do you know how many torana s are going to BJ s on Saturday night.
Thanks
Brian

#135 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Brian - The quote above was for when we were organising the drag day initially. The reference to having a day on October is a bit old and relates to October 2008 :D But you never know, if the interest is there I would consider doing another one around that time this year. I know the Monaro club is keen, likewise members from this forum and the QTCC as well. It would be an informal sort of day though (no trophies, prizes etc, just straight out racing).

BJ's inaugural night is the 25th April I believe. QTCC will be doing a run along with the XU-1 Club. More details will be on the QTCC website www.qtcc.org.au closer to the date.

#136 _ripitup5000_

_ripitup5000_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

Brian - The quote above was for when we were organising the drag day initially. The reference to having a day on October is a bit old and relates to October 2008 :D But you never know, if the interest is there I would consider doing another one around that time this year. I know the Monaro club is keen, likewise members from this forum and the QTCC as well. It would be an informal sort of day though (no trophies, prizes etc, just straight out racing).

BJ's inaugural night is the 25th April I believe. QTCC will be doing a run along with the XU-1 Club. More details will be on the QTCC website www.qtcc.org.au closer to the date.

Sorry Big T,Im new to this site as i didnt look at the dates :huh: Do you know about the super swap and show and shine on sunday 5 of April at Carrara sports complex,it celebrates 75 years of utes.Should be a good day.
Thanks Big T

#137 _Big T_

_Big T_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

Thats alright mate I dont take notice of dates either. My missus got me a beauty this morning as I didnt realise it was April fools day !!

Didnt know about the super swap at Carrara, sounds like a good day but might be a bit late for us to notify members. I will put something up on QTCC forum though.

Hey, what was your entrant number on Saturday, the one Willowbank wrote on the passenger side window?

#138 _ripitup5000_

_ripitup5000_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:31 PM

Thats alright mate I dont take notice of dates either. My missus got me a beauty this morning as I didnt realise it was April fools day !!

Didnt know about the super swap at Carrara, sounds like a good day but might be a bit late for us to notify members. I will put something up on QTCC forum though.

Hey, what was your entrant number on Saturday, the one Willowbank wrote on the passenger side window?

Gday Big T,I own the white and black lh slr/5000.number 588,the Rare Spares(gold coast) sponsered car and Ripitup Racing(performance alloy products)Drop tanks ect.
As you might have noticed my car went crap all day (3 runs) due to a battery failure and igition module,3 weeks ago i tested it on Qld raceway(test day)National curcuit,i give it a dam good floggn,went like a dream,but thats cars for ya.
Will have the car at Carrara sunday for Rare Spares(gold coast).
See ya there,a few more Toranas there would be nice.

#139 _ripitup5000_

_ripitup5000_
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:38 PM

Gday Big T,I own the white and black lh slr/5000.number 588,the Rare Spares(gold coast) sponsered car and Ripitup Racing(performance alloy products)Drop tanks ect.
As you might have noticed my car went crap all day (3 runs) due to a battery failure and igition module,3 weeks ago i tested it on Qld raceway(test day)National curcuit,i give it a dam good floggn,went like a dream,but thats cars for ya.
Will have the car at Carrara sunday for Rare Spares(gold coast).
See ya there,a few more Toranas there would be nice.

Big T the Torana is on you tube,type in torana slr5000 on dyno or ripitup5000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users