Black Door Handles & Nose Cone Blackout on A9X???

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 _POTF_

_POTF_
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum so hope this question is not something that has been asked too many times before. I've had a look around the forum but couldn't find any info on it.

My questions are.......

Did A9X Four doors come out in Black Door Handles or was it an option?

Also I'm trying to find out how the Black out on the Nose Cone was painted at the part where it joins the top part of the Radiator support. I have seen genuine 1976 Wheels magazine pictures that show the section where it bolts to the Radiator support to be Body colour..... so where does the blackout stop?

#2 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

No A9X were produced in 1976.

#3 _POTF_

_POTF_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:27 AM

Yeah whatever, it was in the 70's. I'm refering to the White Hatchback that was commonly testdriven by all the magazines. The one that went up against the Kawasaki. So can anyone answer this question?

#4 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:18 AM

I can't correctly answer your question but this site might help you?

http://www.a9xclub.org.au/index2.html

Not sure if you know of it or not.

Herne

#5 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:57 PM

the wiper cowel panel,bonnet,tops and curve of gaurds inline with the paint on the doors and the top of the nose cone and front down to be in line.(i think it hakfway between headlight opening and the top) with the gaurds which is where the sticker sits .the inside of the nose cone under the bonnet is black,the engine bay is body colour and the 2 are broken up with the silver/grey bonnet catch.also is a matt finish.this is only from memory as the car isnt here.door handles are body colour i think,but no black.if you are still not sure there is photo top right hand side of this page.
also im not sure starting a sentence with" yeah whatever."is that cool.

#6 _POTF_

_POTF_
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:08 PM

Thankyou to all for your replies.

I've looked through the A9X website but they show no inside Bonnet shots of the cars from the angle I'm interested. As most have been resprayed over the years there are vast differences. My research has been predominantly done of GMH Original Test driven cars, from old magazines, but even they are hard to comprehend. I understand the external paint scheme, but the Nose cone inside the Bonnet at the point where it bolted onto the Radiator support was definitely Body colour. I just need to understand where the Black finished inside the Nose cone...... The mystery continues.

As for 'Yeah Whatever'.... No offence intended, just a figure of speech.

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

As for 'Yeah Whatever'.... No offence intended, just a figure of speech.

Well if u got the year (and month for that matter) and the variant sorted that u need then you get a straight answer as there were no A9X produced in 76.

#8 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 06:43 AM

again i am not 100% but if the top of the gaurds are black even wheere the bolts are,then it makes good sense that the entire inside the bonnet part of the nose cone is black as well.if it was body colour it would look wrong as you would have say yellow nose cone bolted on top of black gaurd.if you think about it when the bonnet is open and you look at the outside edge of the bay,it would be all black.tops of gaurd,cowel panel,top of nose cone and under side of bonnet.so if you imagine the car had no front panels,paint the engine bay colour and then placed the black panels on top with all the black meeting up with each other.if you are still stuck or i am wrong,then i am sure one the members will take a photo for you.

dave

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

A9X sedan door handles are black hatches are chrome. The Hatch you mention John Harvey against Mick Hone on the motorbike belongs to a club member and will be at Toranafest.
refer to this link for some pictures on the correct way for the paint on an A9X hatch, sedans are the same under the bonnet but the black comes further down the outside of the guard.
http://www.gmh-toran...ouple of little

#10 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:46 AM

I knew Red would help on this one :)

I suggested the A9X web site to show door handle colours although could not swear to what was what but I had my thoughts :)

Cheers
Herne

#11 _POTF_

_POTF_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

Thanks RedA9X, LX304 & Herne

SO I am correct, that the Nose Cone section that bolts onto the Radiator SUpport was painted Body Colour. Now I just need to understand how far down the INSIDE (Engine Bay) of the Nose cone the black goes down.

I am 100% clear on the external paintjob of both Sedans & Hatch's & understand the differences along the top of the Guards & the Nose Cone but cannot find any usefull photo's showing the inside of the nose cone.

I don'tsuppose there is a Good picture of the Yellow car featured in that other post looking back into the Nose Cone from the Windscreen. That way I can Guage how far down to paint the black.

I also understand that the Black was a Satin Finish which was primarily to reduce glare..... correct?

Thanks for clearing up the Door Handle issue also.

If we can just clear up the Nose cone issue I'll be an extremely satisfied man and I can give my Panel Beater the go ahead to spray up.

Cheers.

#12 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

"I also understand that the Black was a Satin Finish which was primarily to reduce glare..... correct?"

Yes mate absolutely correct on the satin finish.

Cheers
Herne

#13 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

Not sure about that Herne, some had a shiny black and some dull I think ??

#14 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:34 PM

I am pretty sure you will find the gloss black ones are aftermarket paint jobs.

If you try and clean the satin too much it tends to turn into gloss anyway :)

Herne

Not sure about that Herne, some had a shiny black and some dull I think ??

Edited by Herne, 17 September 2008 - 02:35 PM.

#15 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:37 PM

PALLBAG------All satin.

Over the years people have painted them gloss through ignorance or ease of maintenance.

But factory Tuxedo black cars, well that's another story, gloss to my knowledge. I am yet to see proof to the contrary.

#16 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:07 PM

OKie Dokie, my torrie knowledge has been enhanced one more time. Out of curiosity, did any of the LX 5000's have satin at all ?

Once I saw you had replied Baron, my immediate thought was how yours would look with a satin finish, LOL.

#17 _POTF_

_POTF_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

Satin was the factory finish as per the Monaro Stripes & GT Falcon stripe. It's correct that most have been repainted in Gloss for ease of maintenance &/or polished up to look glossy.

I'm restoring an LX Torana into an A9X Mock-up on the outside (Palais White) with a 355 Stroker under the bonet. I'll post some photo's on the Project site to see what people think.

I hope this is not a Purists Forum.

I can't afford the real thing so my thought is to make it look like the real thing but personalise it with my tastefull touches under the bonnet

#18 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

A9X replicas are flattery in my book.

Unless some cretin tries to pass it off as the real deal. :shoot:

Are you asking for where the paint stops on the back of the nose cone near say the bonnet latch?

I have some photos I can compress and email if you would like.

#19 _pallbag_

_pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

I hope this is not a Purists Forum.

Defintely not a purists forum, just that a few walk among us !!

#20 _POTF_

_POTF_
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:12 PM

To The Baron,

Yes that is exactly what I'm after. Where does the Black stop along the inside of the Nose Cone (Bonet Latch area).

Please email to [email protected]

Thanks to all for your help.

#21 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

i WILL GET YOU GUYS A PIC FOR THIS

#22 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

The A9X and LX SLR 5000 blackouts are the same. They are a satin finish, however the satin paint is hard to look after and most people painted it gloss for ease of maintenance. The paint is very rough and is reasonably consistant around the nose cone, however along the edges of the guards is very uneven. It's obvious they didn't worry if they missed areas and in some places the paint is so thing you can see body colour through it. The inner side of the guard bolts was often missed as well and body colour showed through. The yellow A9X has been painted as per the original lines so for anyone who may say why is this side square and this side round, there is your reason, Here is what you have requested

Posted Image

#23 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:47 PM

Posted Image
Before
Posted Image
After

Original paint SLR 5000 for comparison. You will note on both cars one side straight, one side rounded and even goes half way over a bolt!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:42 PM

Nah, no purists here.

#25 _pallbag_

_pallbag_