por15

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

hi guys,i have just been to the por15 website and it seems like the way to go.i have a couple of questions though.
i right to assume i can cover the whole shell and panels in por 15(inside and out) and will bog/putty still stick to it for shaping purposes.i would prefer none at all,but have been told by some beaters that it is almost impossible and there will be bog/ putty required for at least the rear quarters and then the low spots as well.if read some of the members projects and seen some use it,but cant find any with the whole car covered.so if anyone has used the por15,i would like to hear any feed back.

dave

#2 _sickboy_

_sickboy_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2008 - 01:00 AM

Hey, I dunno about POR15 but I to have looked into it & I have been recommended Rust bullet. check that out, seems like it is more beneficial than POR as it soaks right into the metal to prevent & protect.

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:14 AM

Best stick with manufactures recommendations.

#4 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:20 AM

alx76,im unsure what you mean

#5 RBTORY

RBTORY

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:lj 2 door / RB30ET

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

lx304 i have used por15 with bondo (bog) and yeah its ok you can apply
bondo when its touch dry or if the paint is dry you can take the shine off and it will take

#6 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:49 AM

The guy who prepared my hatch for paint is a POR15 distributor and has been using it for years. The car was soda blasted and cleaned with metal ready. Areas that are painted were primed as usual. POR15 was only applied to the underbody, floor and areas that would not be painted.

#7 marko1au

marko1au

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Car:LX sadan

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

i've used por15 in my engine bay and by going with thier instructions they reccomend (i stripped mine back to bare metal ) treating bare metal with metal ready, leave it for a while, then wash off and let dry, then apply marine clean and wash off and make sure it is dry. then apply por15 one coat, repair anything that needs repairing wash again with marine clean and the apply another coat of por15. they also suggest that you use their body fillers. from my understanding the first coat is seal the metal and the second coat is to seal any areas you have repaired. i suggest that you read thier instructions and understand how they want you to go about it. after saying all that i only did mine about 2 months ago, and to this day its still in the shed so i can't say wether or not its the way to go but after reading quite a few comments on por15 i'm confident i did the right thing. let you know in about 15 years time.

mark

ps sorry about being long winded its expensive but i do like the product

#8 _POTF_

_POTF_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

I've used POR inside/enginebay & underneath. It provides a Ceramic type coating which is very hard to sand, as it needs to be sanded before you apply anything else over the top.

Use Marine Clean to clean the Gunk off, wash off or Sponge off with water. Then apply Metal ready and wash off after 10 mins. POR is best to be applied direct to metal so it's Anti Rust properties can work well. I haven't used it on the outside but know a friend who has. He had to buy a specific POR friendly Bog I believe.

I suggest you give the Guy's at 'The Body Shop' in Dandenong, Melb a call ((03) 9706 9470). They are POR experts and can guide you in the right direction for external application.

Remember also that POR is Not UV protected so don't go exposing it to too much sunlight. Also watch it carefully when applying in Door Jambs & crevases. It seeps into the smallest of cracks and will start running out of spots you never knew existed.

It's important to apply 10% reducer when using it as it flows & works better with the brush.

ALso important to wear Gloves as this stuff WON'T come off your skin.

#9 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

alx76,im unsure what you mean

Read the instructions on the products you are using and if not sure ask the supplier what products are compatible.

#10 _lx-304_

_lx-304_
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:59 PM

thanks for your help guys,i actually rang por15 themselves and with the questions i had regarding it,i couldnt get a straight answer,and it is always better to haer from personal experience rather the companies testimonials.already i was told normal bog may old and now there seems to be a por friendly bog. i will see if they sell bog there and that way no istakes.

dave

#11 Bazza

Bazza

ǝɹnʇxıɟ ɯnɹoɟ

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,289 posts
  • Car:ɐuɐɹoʇ

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:12 PM

Hi Dave

I have their catalogue. It mentions a product called P38 Filler. Send me you email addy and I will send you a copy of that page.

Bazza

#12 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

i have purchased por 15 and a few tins of there bog, and i am well impressed with there bog it's like nothing i have used before far superior to any bog i have used. goes on really nice and goes hard as and i mean hard as, i got told by them to por 15 then scuff up the por 15 once dry apply bog shape ect. them apply a coat of por 15 over the top of the bog to seal it again

#13 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

ive used por 15, i would only use it on the inside of the panels or underside, it a pain in the arse to use all over its way too hard, its up to you but i believe you will be making an already hard job into an even harder one if you use it externaly. if everything is prepped properly i see no reason why not to use a anti corrosion primer followed by a hi fill primer if done correctly it will last well beyond 30+ years easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users