Adelaide International Raceway

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

Does anyone have any updates on whats happening out at AIR. Last I heard is that they were resurfacing but like everything Bob Jane does it was dodgy, and a machine ended up falling through the track (only repeating what I heard). There have been may rumours I have heard, like Bob Jane had asbestos burried there years ago and thats why he cant rip up the track and do it properly, also that he sold it but then reneged and the guy who bought it got burnt.
Or is it a case of all of us interested in drags should move to a state where they actually have drags.
Such a disappointment, but then again AIR has been a disappointment for a very long time.

#2 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

Smoke and mirrors I'd say.

Just as the ball started rolling on building up support for a new facility to be built with Government aid.

Bob resurfaces the AIR track?

The SA Government should take a leaf out of the WSID book and get on with it.

AIR is DEAD!

Edited by The Baron, 23 September 2008 - 07:04 PM.

#3 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:15 PM

I have it on good authority (a contact within ANDRA) that the proposed new circuit is going to go ahead (with little support from the SA Government). The money is there, and they are currently waiting for the government to release the land, the site will be at Gillman (near the motorcross track). Apparently there will be a drag strip and a race circuit and not sure, but maybe a speedway track as well.

While it has been approved, its still going to take a while to get through the red tape and is still about 15 months away....

#4 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:04 PM

I wouldn't get too excited about a new track in Adelaide. Environmental impact studies can drag out for years especially if some small minority group has anything to do with it. They'll claim some small rare fury animal will loose there home and it will drag on for years before any work can start. Damb shame but thats reality unless it has major government support get around that red tape. Can't see that happening as we have the Clipsal 500 so they are satisfied the great unwashed that love motor racing are catered for.

In the mean time AIR is open every night on a weekend for racing. Thats Anzac(hwy) International Raceway :D

Edited by HatchmanSS76, 23 September 2008 - 11:06 PM.

#5 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

I have to agree with Hatchman, some minority will ruin it for the majority. How come the minority always have the louder voice? May I remind all, its the same way Hitler started out!!
The other news is all old stuff I heard 6 months ago. I also heard that the Government was in support of the new venue, that was until Mr Bob "greedy as f..." Jane caught wind of it and had a cry like a spoilt little brat. So the government pulled their support as Bob believes if they are going to invest in anything it should be at his already established venue. It's funny acutally cause it sounds exactly like something the SA Gov would do, put support behind a venue that has not changed since the 70s. Good old SA Gov, always about everything but change for the good. God forbid we would move forward and start living in the 21st century!!
At least the Anzac highway venue has updated food outlets, toilets and a better lighting system than AIR has ever had hehehe

#6 _hatcher_

_hatcher_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:38 PM

I heard today that Pt Wakefield road is going to be widened next to the track there and will consume into the scrutineering area, thats the second time I've heard that.

Dave.

#7 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

Yeah, that wouldnt surprise me either. Just before AIR is where the new express way will begin, so no doubt they will need to widen it for the new intersection.

#8 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:31 PM

Greedy Bob's A.I.R is a lost cause. You will never see an ANDRA sanctioned meeting there again. The track is not up to the required standard (all geared around safety) and has no hope of ever going to be upgraded to that standard. The biggest problem with A.I.R is it has no suitable run off for anything quicker than 7sec's. There is no hope for an extension as there is a public road and houses in the path of any perposed extension. The start line can't be shifted back either as your on Pt Waikefield Hwy.
If it's true the government has pulled support on the new one due to whinging greedy Bob then they must be really dumb (as we always suspect anyway) and have no idea about where drag racing is at as a national sport. I wonder what rubbish greedy spun them. Greedies A.I.R will only be any good for circut racing and street drags. Only one problem is street drags don't pull large enough crowds to make any money to keep the place viable.

S.A's only hope is for the Riverland track to go ahead. Location and the regions problems with water being the life blood of the area are going to work against it thou.

#9 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

Dont think the problem has anything to do with money - the people behind the new proposal have plenty of that, as Hatchy says its more to do with the environmental impact study and the wheels turn slowly getting that all approved. I share everyones reservations, as we've all been let down so many times before but i think you'll find all Bob Jane has done has slowed things down, much to his dismay...

#10 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:13 PM

There is definately no problem with money. The consortium have $25 million to get it up and running. The problem is not only the environmental study, but look at who we have as our premier, Mr Mike "i hate hoons & fast cars" Rhan.

As for 350LH's comment about much to Bobs dismay, I can guarantee you Bob doesnt give two sh*ts about it, and Im sure his farkwit son is the same.

#11 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

I'm sure greedy bob does care. He's just holding all the cards at the moment thats all.

While there is no real progress on a new venue, greedy doesn't have to do anything with AIR as there is no competition and racers will just have to wait and be feed bullshite rumours about racing starting again at AIR. It' not as thou they can go some where else wich will hurt him in the hip pocket.

I bet lefty as soon as the new venue gets the green light and work starts moving dirt and laying a track, greedy will have the gates at AIR open again. From the time drirt starts to get shifted to actual racing would be roughly 12-24months.
The only problem for greedy is he won't be able to get an ANDRA meeting and they are the ones that pull crowds so long term he's screwed anyway. The silly old barsteward will do it just to create problems for the new mob.

#12 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

I just read in another forum that there was a meeting the other night and that the new drag track was going ahead. The meeting was apparently between, ANDRA, council, gov and the guys with the big wallets. Mind you the post did start with, "a reliable source told me". How many times do we hear that for it to only be some sort of rumour. Can anyone confirm this meeting taking place, and / or confirm any details from the meeting?
I'm so hanging for the drags!!

#13 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

I just read in another forum that there was a meeting the other night and that the new drag track was going ahead. The meeting was apparently between, ANDRA, council, gov and the guys with the big wallets. Mind you the post did start with, "a reliable source told me". How many times do we hear that for it to only be some sort of rumour. Can anyone confirm this meeting taking place, and / or confirm any details from the meeting?
I'm so hanging for the drags!!

Yeah its cool, I know its been said so many times before with no action, you cant blame people for being sceptical. The guy I know works for ANDRA so I'm confident that it is going to happen, its just a matter of when...

#14 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

It's been another couple of months, anyone heard any more news on whats going on?
And guys, we can do without the rumours, straight up facts would be nice as there is a lot of rumours floating around.

#15 _LJ202_

_LJ202_
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2008 - 11:48 AM

Well not much has changed. All I keep hearing is that the track is going to open for street meetings in the later months of the year and it's all ready November. My dad knows someone at head office and he said that he went to the track and it has been resurfaced properly and is ready to be opened. And the thing with the highway must be true as well because I keep hearing that it wont be opened for long because the highway is going to go through a part of the facility.
All I can say is that AIR is a s***hole and we can all give up on it and hope that some smart enough people can convince the government that we need another track or else we will have nothing for the rest of out lives. The other thing I hate is that ANDRA is located here in Adelaide and we don't have a track, that shows how s*** we operate here. If this was in America, ANDRA would gather a whole heap of support and get a track up and running with-in a year, but we aren't so all we get is screwed!
If you ask me that racing facility at Gillman is our only hope, if that gets flushed then we have to hope for a track in Melbourne. :cry:

#16 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

I know you don't want to hear any more rumors LJ202 but I will post it any way so we can all have a giggle or go what a suprise.

January 24 2009. Watch this date to see if anything happens :rolleyes: .

#17 _LJ202_

_LJ202_
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2008 - 02:40 PM

I know you don't want to hear any more rumors LJ202 but I will post it any way so we can all have a giggle or go what a suprise.

January 24 2009. Watch this date to see if anything happens :rolleyes: .

It's Ok the rumors are good in a way because it keeps everone interested in the sport. BTW I saw your car in the my topic on AIR and your number plate is cool.

#18 Loui

Loui

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

I was there not long ago for the Gazzanats

The track looks good

One thing I did notice was, when they were doing to go to whow as the cars crossed the half way line of the track, a win light was coming on.

To me this means when drags come back it will be 8th mile??

Cheers

Loui

#19 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:29 PM

Update on the Chinese whispers:

Latest is that the new track will be going ahead. It has been approved but there are a few more things to be done before building can commence. Apparently its all hush hush to stop some gready bugga (who owns the other venue) from bitching and moaning about it again. Oh crap, I just let it out of the bag, and now Im posting rumours!! LOL

As mentioned all Chinese whispers but this was supposed to come from a guy who is besties with one of the bank rollers for the new venue.

Sigh................will the rumours ever come true!!

#20 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

Does Bob Jane own AIR? I know he owns Calder park, and its currently getting stuff done to it...

#21 _crumpledoor_

_crumpledoor_
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

Does Bob Jane own AIR? I know he owns Calder park, and its currently getting stuff done to it...

Yup, hence the substandard track & facilities for the last 20 years.

#22 _waratah_

_waratah_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:02 PM

will there be any oil left for us to buy by the time anything happens?

#23 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

by the time a.i.r is open again we will all be racing coffin's

#24 _TORRI-1_

_TORRI-1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

From http://www.adelaider...m.au/home.shtml

Latest News
Monday 16th February 2009

Reconstruction and upgrading works are in progress and are expected to continue thru to mid to late March.
We are anticipating a return to both legal off street drag racing as well as open bracket racing.
As we get closer all event information will be on the Adelaide International Raceway website.

#25 _HatchmanSS76_

_HatchmanSS76_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:44 AM

No suprise that the time line has passed and still no action out their.
I had a very interesting conversation with someone at speedway a few weeks back who had to do some recovery work on a heavy vechicle that fell over on the spectator mounds. Story going around there's some issues with the new surface that was laid and it looks like it needs to be torn up and re-laid.

The funny saga of A.I.R continues, hahahaha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users