Fitting a Nine-Inch

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

Id say so.

I cant see you going under it too legally.

#27 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

but that doesnt mean u cant go under the diff.

another problem,with a nine inch.i cured it today,hopefully.the breather,spat oil out at highway speed.

some hose coiled running into a small fuel filter,im told does the trick.

#28 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

9 inch in the LX sedan - lowered 2 inches. Able to fit twin 2.5 inch system over the diff. Never hits anything. Easy to work on etc
9 inch in the hatch - lowered 1 inch. Twin 2.5 inch under the diff. Occasional rattles and is a pain to work on as the exhaust gets pinned by the diff every time it is jacked up.
No problems with any other aspect of either.

#29 _glenn l_

_glenn l_
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

The BW M78 is a good value for money diff conversion but it has its limitations.

The LSD is the weakest point in a BW M78. If you have 300 HP+ then the BW LSD will not last long, you would have to look at replacing it with either a KAAZ, Lokka or spool.

The next weak point is where the axle tubes are plug welded into the cast iron centre. If you have 500 HP+ and run slicks on the weekend then this may be an issue.

is this the same diff as the vl turbos have? i know them as a btr78, if so they are a pretty strong 4 pinion centre that put up with a lot of s##t behind the turbos, thats what i would consider.

glenn.

#30 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

Yes same diff. BTR engineering took over making them later in the piece

#31 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

is this the same diff as the vl turbos have? i know them as a btr78, if so they are a pretty strong 4 pinion centre that put up with a lot of s##t behind the turbos, thats what i would consider.

glenn.

The 4 pinion centre is not on the list of weak points, just the banjo style LSD. The LSD will wear out quickly with decent power. The Lokka replaces the LSD but retains the 4 pinion centre. I think you will find that the LSD in most BW78 diffs are marginal at best. A flogged out LSD will not give you much more traction than an open centre but it will still eventually spin both wheels.

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 10 April 2010 - 05:24 PM.

#32 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:27 AM

I have 3 inch custom made with mandrel bends over the 9in diff in my hatch, its tight but doesnt hit anywhere and the car sits pretty low

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users