putting springs in front end

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:15 PM

i JUST managed to fit standard length 330mm length pedders heavy duty springs to my front end.big deal u say,well it is cause the front end wasnt in the car.it was awfully hard and took a fair bit of trial and error.i had the front end ratch strapped to my truck floor with the whish bone hanging over the back.with a lot of prying, got the spring in and a transmision jack under the whish bone to jack it up.it just worked and we lived in fear of the spring jumping out and getting us.
question is, the upper whish bone bump stop,is squashed flat as a pizza,is there anything i can do besides fit the motor to balance it back

#2 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 11 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

first you should have used spring compressors to put the springs in, much easier
second have you fitted the shockers as these limlt the travel of the bottom wishbones

#3 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:34 AM

i had 2 sets of spring compressors.neither set,once compressed was able to be fitted in.there just wasnt room.we even cut the threaded bar so it was shorter.the spring compressors foul the lower controll arm and the cavity at the top of the k frame.i couldnt get the lower ball joint into the stub with compressors . has any one fitted springs in with compressors.bear in mind thet werent lowered springs.
and u cant put the shocks in till the spring is in.i dont have much experience pulling apart the front end completly like i did.its the second time i have removed a k frame and striped it.

#4 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:30 PM

if ive done something wrong here,or am doing the wrong thing, id realy like to know please

#5 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:25 PM

The purpose of the bump stop is to take the load when full suspension travel is reached, it will just pop back into shape when the load is removed. The shock should not bottom out before the bump stop.

Fitting front springs without using the correct spring compressor is not worth the risk and should not be recommended. I know it is not easy to find a spring compressor to suit the Torana but it is still not worth the risk. For what it is worth most people do fit the springs without using the correct tool and in most cases they have not been injured.

If someone could post a link for a spring compressor that does suit the Torana then I think it would be worth making a sticky.

#6 _Patrick_

_Patrick_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:28 PM

If someone could post a link for a spring compressor that does suit the Torana then I think it would be worth making a sticky.

i would be very intereted in this, im getting to the stage where i will need to be putting new front springs in for my new 308 in teh UC.

#7 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:53 PM

just to add the guy at pedders told me u cant use spring compresors on lx toranas,and i wouldnt get the springs in,untill i had the weight of the car+motor on the front end.aparently when they do it ,they do it the same as every one else.
i had to put standard springs in mine, because with drop the hx one tonner stubs gives u,and the lowered spring already in it,it would have been to low.other wise i would have put the lowered ones back in.once the right wheels and the motors in it will go to pedders for new springs the right height,with us haveing a reference of the standard spring
patrick u wait and see how it is with no motor.if u can leave it till last and set the ride height
just a though holden would have to had something to do the job on the production line ?

Edited by ass308, 12 October 2008 - 02:56 PM.

#8 LX2DR

LX2DR

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts
  • Name:Paul
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

A 50 tonne press with a purpose made jig will do it.

#9 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:44 PM

just to add the guy at pedders told me u cant use spring compresors on lx toranas

That's awful advice from a suspension place. You can of course use spring compressors, but you need the right type, similar to this (goes up through the centre):
Posted Image

#10 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

good stuff 76lxhatch neva seen anything like that before :spoton:

#11 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

just to add the guy at pedders told me u cant use spring compresors on lx toranas,and i wouldnt get the springs in,untill i had the weight of the car+motor on the front end

^What a complete tool!

Speaking of tools, what you need is a Internal Coil Spring Compressor. I've used it to fit and remove springs to front ends not in a vehicle and it works a treat. :spoton:

#12 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 06:40 PM

antelopeslr5000 cheers for the link.im am going to get a set of some sort.even though it goes up the middle i still donr get quite how they work,
Posted Image
theres only 3 coils they can compress.can somebody please take a few photos next they use the compressor.as ls2hatch mentioned a sticky would be great

#13 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

No more pics but the arms/bars/hooks/whatever go at the bottom in the lowest coil possible, and the threaded rod goes right up through the shock mount and you do it up from the top

#14 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

Dad made me some custom spring compressors for the front end of the LJ.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Steve

#15 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

76lxhatch,

I used an internal spring compressor like yours on stock springs and the plate was getting trapped between the coils once compressed. Was an A/hole to remove and scratched the spring paint. The compressor I used was a GMH one for Hq-Hz apparently.

#16 _gtr161s_

_gtr161s_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

1st : use a spring compressor to close them up as tight as possible

2nd : get some 1/4" rod and bend both ends so that they will hook around the coils ( i do it this way because i've never found a set of compressors that will fit into perfectly into suspension spring housing)

3rd : position the hooks evenly then back off the spring compressor and fit them into the suspension.

4th : once in fit the shock in place and cut the 1/4" rod.

obviously its easier this way when the suspension is in

#17 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

76lxhatch,

I used an internal spring compressor like yours on stock springs and the plate was getting trapped between the coils once compressed. Was an A/hole to remove and scratched the spring paint. The compressor I used was a GMH one for Hq-Hz apparently.

Yeah that's why I used the word 'similar' (you're spot on, the one in the pic is for HQ). They are a bit of a pain because you have to get just the right sized one, but once you do it makes the job really easy and safe. Wouldn't be hard to make one.

#18 _SableMet7/73_

_SableMet7/73_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:44 PM

Now I dont reckomend this, just letting ya know what
some consider safe.
Goin back a while now when some workshops still had
the old time hoist's, the ones that look like a dirty great
hydrualic ram coming out the floor with a couple a bits of RSJ.

This bloke had a car on the floor doin front springs, HQ I think.
So instead of loading in the spring & compressing it with a jack
under the lower arm, he squashes the spring under the RSJ on
the hoist & wraps a bunch of stands of copper wire around
opposite sides of the spring.
Then he's walking to the car holding this spring at arms lenght
like a bloody time bomb, carefully slips it into place, does up the
ball joint nut & cuts the wire. BANG there ya go!

I cast an eye over it before the wheel went on & the coil end was
about 180 out.
Hate it when blokes next to ya start doin crap like that, I'm not good
with other peoples blood & cries of pain. Shrapnels a worry too.

Cheers J

#19 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:36 AM

^^ HAHA ^^

Thats similar to how we got my gf's Standard UC springs in...

Compressed the springs with standard spring compressors, then got some fencing wire and wrapped the spring up in it... Got it all in place, spring in the car etc, bolted up the ball joint and cut and removed the wire... Worked a treat. But yes, dangerous..

Next time those springs are out, lowered ones are going back in! Way to hard to put standard ones in! If you search through the threads, i think i had a post about 2 years back about the same thing

#20 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

THIS
Posted Image
EQUALS THIS
Posted Image
SO BUY THIS
Posted Image
AND HAVE THIS
Posted Image

Its not pleasant when you get your fingers smashed between a coil and a dodgey compressor, spend 70bux go to repco and buy a proper one it will save you alot of time and pain

#21 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,152 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

I agree, as The Baron reiterated above the pic I posted above is not designed for a Torana. As with any tool its safe to use but only for the intended application.

#22 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:57 AM

greenmachine215

Did you buy the spring compressor from REPCO and is the bosstoolsusa compressor?

There are many spring compressors with a similar design but not all will fit inside the Torana spring. If you can post the manufacturer, part number and supplier of the tool you have used then people can buy with confidence that it will fit.

#23 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

^^ Good idea! ^^ I remember going to about 5-6 different auto shops, Autobahn, repco, Bursons, SuperCheap and none of them had a clue what i was talking about.

#24 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Even with that tool is would be hard to do.

Once compressed and when you install the assembly, I assume the threaded section points down through the shock mounting hole in the bottom arm. Because it sure as hell won't go in with the thread pointing up.

If you did get the assembly in and the spindle bolted up. How the duck do you retrieve the arms (spring compressor)through the lower arm shocker hole? They look to big.

When the spring is installed, you can only see a couple of the coils showing, the rest is up in the cross member and that is what makes if a PR!CK of a job and best done by doing one side at a time with the Xmember in the car.

#25 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:45 PM

I didnt bother with the springs until we had the motor in....why would you not wait?..I blocked it with pieces of wood until the weight of the motor went in then did the front suspension last.....??...and I dont have a finger nail like Green..Lol!
R

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users