putting springs in front end

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#26 _ass308_

_ass308_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:30 PM

i wasnt cleaver enough to put wood in and do it last :(.if anyone can do the job,with compressors,can they post photos of the job.

#27 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:37 PM

Even with that tool is would be hard to do.

Once compressed and when you install the assembly, I assume the threaded section points down through the shock mounting hole in the bottom arm. Because it sure as hell won't go in with the thread pointing up.

If you did get the assembly in and the spindle bolted up. How the duck do you retrieve the arms (spring compressor)through the lower arm shocker hole? They look to big.

When the spring is installed, you can only see a couple of the coils showing, the rest is up in the cross member and that is what makes if a PR!CK of a job and best done by doing one side at a time with the Xmember in the car.

That's why the original ones had flatter bars, but still easy enough with the curved one I'm sure. Only the bottom end uses the arm(s) on the spring coils, the top end just acts on the top of the shock mount. Once the spring is fitted you unwind the thread completely and pull the piece out from between the coils with the suspension at full droop.

#28 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:42 PM

From the GMH service manual:

Posted Image

#29 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:58 PM

Ok, The spring compressor i purchased was through a tool rep that come into work, But should be available from leading automotive stores
Posted Image
IDENTICAL LOOKING COMPRESSOR

The compressor is made by RYTOOL - Part no. RT4025 cost $75.00

This made the job so easy, They are not difficult to use, they insert from the bottom of the spring and when the lower arm is pulled up into place and bolted, the arms of the compressor fold so you can jiggle them out and pull them through the shock absorber hole in the bottom arm.

Edited by greenmachine215, 16 October 2008 - 09:02 PM.

#30 _crabby_

_crabby_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

did a search and came accross this thread as i need to do the same and take out the springs from the spare front end i have out of the car and reco it.
did anyone buy this tool as sugested and how did you go?

tool

thanx crabby

#31 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

Well as soon as i can walk out to the shed again (back stuffed yet again) i will be refitting my front springs with the front end sitting on tressles,i made a spring compresor its a piece of 1"allthread that uses the top shocker mount and a plate on the bottom,it worked fine to remove the springs and i believe to be totally safe becuse the spring cant get loose,i tried all the spring compressors that mates had with no success
Phillip

#32 _BlownOutlaw_

_BlownOutlaw_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:39 PM

I will also need to get my front springs out shortly and some HD ones back in so am watching this tread with interest.

#33 _crabby_

_crabby_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

good stuff phillip , hope your back gets better soon so you can let us know how it went
crabby

Edited by crabby, 12 September 2010 - 08:23 PM.

#34 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:46 AM

Depends a bit on what your springs are like etc. When I did mine last, I had access to a pair of external spring compressors and an internal one, they happened to have exactly the same thread on the long bolt thing. Where the shock hole is located at the top, I put the threaded 'nut' kinda thing off the external spring compressor, and only used 'half' of the internal spring compressor, once again folding it up and squeezing it through the shock hole in the lower arm. It was a pain in the arse, and I found you still needed to compress it all with the jack afterwards anyway, the only point of the spring compressor is to make it temporarily short enough to seat the end of the spring in the right spot of the lower control arm.

I wish Toranas came with adjustable coil-overs.

#35 _crabby_

_crabby_
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:24 PM

hey guys
a quick update.i ordered the tool from a local autopro.just took him a pic and the web address i posted up and he got it in for me and infact was cheaper than there advertised price...go figure

any way after some stuffing around working out how to use it , the job wasnt that hard just fidely but it does work well.just thought i would share a couple of pics and how it went

crabby
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 _2doorhatch_

_2doorhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:56 PM

hey guys
a quick update.i ordered the tool from a local autopro.just took him a pic and the web address i posted up and he got it in for me and infact was cheaper than there advertised price...go figure

any way after some stuffing around working out how to use it , the job wasnt that hard just fidely but it does work well.just thought i would share a couple of pics and how it went

crabby
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Any chance on a part #

Cheers John

#37 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

I reinterate..to save your life and limbs...wait until you have engine weight in the car..its easy then...I can see people dying with this thread...literally...dangerous guys..
R

#38 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:35 PM

This is what i made up to compress the front springs in my LC.

Posted Image

If you want more info have a read in my build thread. Green machine #3
Wayne

Edited by 2ELCS, 19 October 2010 - 05:40 PM.

#39 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

I reinterate..to save your life and limbs...wait until you have engine weight in the car..its easy then...I can see people dying with this thread...literally...dangerous guys..
R

Yeah but its just as dangerous with the weight in the car, people get tempted to cheat - crabby's spring compressor is absolutely fine, nice and safe

#40 AbsynthHatch

AbsynthHatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Name:Mark

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:20 PM

How will the spring compressor work when you have heavy duty lowered springs?

That being with larger, tighter coils, with very little gap between them

That spring compressor looks to work on standard original type springs

#41 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:01 AM

Larger coils yes but they're not usually tighter as they are stiffer (remember you'd get coil binding issues if they were too close together at full droop). Also a lot less distance to compress so it should work fine

#42 _crabby_

_crabby_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:24 AM

hey john
this is what i got spring compressor
crabby

#43 _2doorhatch_

_2doorhatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

hey john
this is what i got spring compressor
crabby

Thanks crabby, Will stop in today at autopro and pick one up.

#44 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name:Mark Grovenor
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

For anyone interested, I discovered an effective way of installing standard length springs without the cost and danger of the internal spring compressor; clothes line! I have external spring compressors which we all know are useless with the Holden set up.

After trying a number of ways to get my springs back into the car, I thought I would try the clothes line. It has a soft outer lining but inside it is made of fibre that has excellent tensile strength. The secret was in the way it is tied to the coils, as follows:

Cut a length of clothes line about 1.5 metres long (you shouldn't need it all though).

Position the spring compressors on the spring so that one is close to the coil end one is opposite. This is important because the clothesline will interfere with the shock tower if it is put in the wrong position.

Compress the springs so that the total length is 300mm or as close as possible to this critical length (at 300mm you can easily slip the spring into position and it will be seated properly in the lower control arm.

Once compressed, tie the clothesline to the second coil from the bottom. If you tie it to the bottom coil you will not be able to remove it once it is seated.

Start threading the line so that it loops the next coil up, then back, then 2 up, then back 1, then 2 up, then back one etc. Continue up the spring but leave the last 2-3 coils that will be hidden inside the shock tower.

With the same line, run it across to the opposite side of the spring and make you way back down, then run it back to where you started and tie it off at the same place.

Slowly release the compressors and you will find there should be no stretch in the line at all and they will remain compressed.

When installing the spring, you should find the lines will be on the left and right sides, when the coilend is positioned correctly in the lower control arm.

Once jacked up and the ball joint is secured, release the line and there should be sufficient clearance to remove all the line without fouling on anything.

I did find I needed my wife to sit on the bonnet and I need to pry the upper control arm down with a solid bar to overcome the retained spring tension, but it was no great problem.

The first time I did it, I positioned the line incorrectly so I undid it and started again. It was quick and easy and due to the wrapping of individual coils, there was plenty of strength in the line to do the job safely.

I will post a photo soon.

#45 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:30 AM

This is a photo of how I looped the line around the compressed spring.

IMG_4563.JPG

And this is why you need to ensure the line is positioned to the left and right. Notice the line interferes with the shock tower and it will not seat correctly in the lower control arm. It took 10 mins to undo and reposition the line. Ignore the cable ties. This was my first attempt at compressing the spring but most could not handle the tension.

IMG_4564.JPG

Edited by Marks LXTorana, 25 February 2014 - 09:31 AM.

#46 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:55 PM

April Fool's Day is not until 1st April, don't post that here.

#47 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

To be honest I didn't like the alternatives!

The clothes line worked a treat and even if you were to accidentally cut the line, the spring will not release all its energy due to how the line is wrapped. I acknowledge it doesn't look great although I practice tied it several times. Of course, everything on these forums has to be weighed up to determine whether it suits, and don't try anything you are not comfortable doing. Welding and grinding with no eye or ear protection is common in posted photos although each to their own I guess...

Edited by Marks LXTorana, 25 February 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#48 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the write-up Mark.
Spring doesn't look compressed enough to fit in an LJ though.
Cheers
Marty

#49 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the write-up Mark.
Spring doesn't look compressed enough to fit in an LJ though.
Cheers
Marty

No problem Marty. It may not suit everyone although it was the only way to get the longer springs back in the car using the "resources" available to me at the time. For my LX it seems 300mm is about the critical (maximum) length to enable the springs to be seated properly without any fear of them popping out when bolting it all back together.

I could have compressed them much more but didn't want to go any further than I needed to, which is probably why I felt comfortable with using the clothes line!

#50 Centurian

Centurian

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:DLX Snatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:56 PM

Hi Mark,

Thanks heaps for that method you described for getting standard springs in. It worked a charm on my LH! Couple of small points I will add: I used a clothes line cable that has a stranded steel core. I just felt more secure using that. Second, I started with a securing knot in the middle coil, and ended on the other side middle coil. It was easier to untie at the end. Your wire installation procedure was brilliant. Full marks to you for idea and  sharing. 

Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users