Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name:Mark Grovenor
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

Thanks Greg, glad it worked out for you! As much as most people will go for the threaded bar method suggested by 2ELCS to compress the springs, the clothes line has less chance of releasing all of it's energy in one go if something goes wrong. Whatever works!

#53 Centurian

Centurian

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Name:Greg
  • Car:DLX Snatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

The threaded bar with a number of iterations of coil attachments (plates) didn't work for me. I have installed lowered H'duty springs on 2 of my past Toranas, but this time I was trying to re-install the original long standard ones in a LH. I don't know what the arrangement is for other models, but when the threaded rod with a round circular plate at the end is used, it will compress the spring to the upper K-frame mount, but then you have to fit the lower control arm and remove the plate. I couldn't see how I could do that. I made a number of coil securing bits to hold the coil higher up from the base, but they slip and go off-center (dangerous).

So I used regular external spring compressors and followed your instructions to secure the coil in a compressed position. I brought the length down to 270mm.

Then I fitted the lower control arm, and then used a threaded rod and plate (I used an old water pump pulley from a VN commodore as the plate) through the shock cavity and wound the threaded rod up compressing the spring with the control arm. Then I fitted the upper control arm and stub-axial and done!

I'm not exaggerating, but after spending at least 1 full day trying get 1 spring in without success, your method had them in in half an hour each. 

I don't post much, but I had to share and give thanks for the method.  Thanx!

#54 _livo74_

_livo74_
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:37 AM

added safety tip

For lowered springs... if using a jack (under lower control arm) to compress springs..

first TIE spring to the crossmember, using THICK car towing strap.

tie twice even,

so if jack "fails"/bursts hydrolic.. the spring has to snap two pieces of towing strap before comes "flying out", (which now just wont be allowed happen.) 

___

as for standard spring.. too long and would be paying someone else to fit, as read here often even getting the right compressor to fit can be a bitch

but, if doing yourself.. tie 5 pieces of thick towing strap! hahaha)   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users