Installing Rare Spares LX Centre Console Lid and Glovebox

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 _markbeath_

_markbeath_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

Any know the easiest way to install the centre console lid piece and the glovebox compartment?
I looked at everything and rather than figure it out myself and ruin something, i thought someone on here would be better help. Both from Rare Spares so yeah!

Cheers

#2 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

if you got a new glovebox cardboard they dont have scores in them to fold anymore, I just put a couple of scores on the outside of side pieces to allow it to fold, just dont cut through it. I use the edge of a screwdriver with a straightedge

#3 _markbeath_

_markbeath_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:57 PM

if you got a new glovebox cardboard they dont have scores in them to fold anymore, I just put a couple of scores on the outside of side pieces to allow it to fold, just dont cut through it. I use the edge of a screwdriver with a straightedge

yeah it is. thats sounds like a really good idea. thanks

#4 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

Any know the easiest way to install the centre console lid piece
Cheers

More info?

#5 _markbeath_

_markbeath_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

More info?

Its the cover that goes over the compartment above the gear shifter. it has two prong things on top to go into the actually console and a metal wire curved at both ends. hard to explain but will show what i mean in pics tomorrow. im literally dumbfounded

#6 _ChiaLX_

_ChiaLX_
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

Its the cover that goes over the compartment above the gear shifter. it has two prong things on top to go into the actually console and a metal wire curved at both ends. hard to explain but will show what i mean in pics tomorrow. im literally dumbfounded

you will need to remove the console to do that as the wire clip holds the lid on with a couple of screws and a retainer plate from underneath

#7 Mort

Mort

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

I know it's an old thread but it's better than starting a new one.

I have just bought a new glovebox insert and can't get it to go in, i have already pulled the dash apart but still no luck.

Can anyone shed some light on how they have done it and maybe where to score the insert and if possible with pics.

#8 VinnieSLR

VinnieSLR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Name:Vinnie
  • Car:LX SLR5000

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:08 PM

I know it's an old thread but it's better than starting a new one.

I have just bought a new glovebox insert and can't get it to go in, i have already pulled the dash apart but still no luck.

Can anyone shed some light on how they have done it and maybe where to score the insert and if possible with pics.

Old thread revival...I've just done the same but can't for the life of me to get it to fit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#9 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name:Mark Grovenor
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:30 PM

Old thread revival...I've just done the same but can't for the life of me to get it to fit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This really needs a YouTube video but essentially you need to "squash" the top and bottom together to get it into position, then it will expand back to its original shape to screw into place. Both sides should have a crease like in the photo (new reproductions may not include the crease). If no crease, try to create one with a sharp edge like a screwdriver and a steel ruler.

Attached Files

#10 VinnieSLR

VinnieSLR

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Name:Vinnie
  • Car:LX SLR5000

Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:22 PM

Mark, thank you that's awesome.. will give it a try on the weekend 👍🏽

#11 Cook

Cook

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 17 October 2021 - 03:53 PM

Hi all. Not sure if I am doing something wrong (most likely) but cannot seem to get the insert in enough. It fouls on the top two corners. They are somewhat wider than the rest of the insert.  Do I need to do anything with these "V" shaped areas. There is one either side. Cheers Ron

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users