AC in VY Commodore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _Pallbag_

_Pallbag_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:03 AM

My SV8 has a prob with the Air Conditioning, after a bit over an hours driving or so it stops working/slows down considerably.

When I turn the fan speed up, there is increased fan noise but for some reason air doesnt come out thru the vents as ferociously as it shud and stops completely eventually, but can definitely hear it blowing in behind the dash. Have taken it to the local Holden dealer but they couldnt really find too much mainly because it hadnt been driven for an hour or more to recreate the problem I spose ???

If I turn the air and fan off for about 10-15 mins then turn it back on it seems to work fine again for another hour or so !!

Any ideas appreciated as it is a nuisance on a long trip which is mainly how I drive the car ...

#2 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

Maybe the flaps on these are vacuum operated? Like the older Commodores?
If so, it sounds like it's loosing vacuum. Blocked supply port/hose/valve?

Edited by rodomo, 23 October 2008 - 09:16 AM.

#3 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

Could be a vac problem, the commodores have a vac reservoir that all this connects to. This can be checked if you work the controls and listen for whether the ducts all change around etc.

Im suspecting that perhaps the evaporator core is freezing over after prolonged use. The power to the compressor or compressor action should be reduced when a sensor determines the air leaving the evaporator has dropped below 2C etc. not sure on the mechanism for this exactly on the vy, but either a mechanical fault causing this in the valving or a sensing fault in the evaporator.
If this is happening the temp of the air that actually is coming out after an hour of light use would be very low. This would be unlikely to happen if the fan speed was on high and probably happens when cruising with low fan speed? There would also be a lot of water that drains out from under the car after shutting it off.

Edited by torbirdie, 23 October 2008 - 10:05 AM.

#4 _1uzbt1_

_1uzbt1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

Torbirdie may be onto something with the evap freezing,this will reduce fan speed.Although vy dont have a thermistor to switch comp on/off at a predetermind temp.They use a variable compressor that runs all the time when the a/c is switched on.The variable compressor has a control valve which keeps the suction side at around 28psi which is around the 0C mark of refridgerant at that pressure.

Possible that it may be faulty, have the wrong one or maybe someone has regassed it with something other than R143A which is a big no no.

#5 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:02 AM

I had one freeze and it ended up being a dud relay for aircon... always on froze then no cold air... around $15 to fix, try a different relay from the panel and see if that fixes tyour problem when it is playing up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users