Photo

LED Lighting

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 _Kermit SLR_

_Kermit SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:21 AM

Hmmm. the Led's are in Australia, the Widget above shows US dollars. Here is the Ebay item No. 310147024597

#27 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:50 PM

You could go to Dickies or Jaycar and buy some LEDs. Get some veroboard to mount them on. Cut mount and shape to suit.
When using multiple LEDs, if you check their specs you will find a voltage that they will run at. Modify a regulator circuit to suit so you dont then need multiple resistors.

#28 _the gts_

_the gts_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

Thanks Kermit, Like yoiu said I would rather buy from a forum member than on line auction.
where did you buy the parts for the rears? Out of interest if I was heading down to port kennedy next week would it be possible to have a look in person?

Rockoz the veraboard is definately an option if i can work out how to get the look i want

#29 _Kermit SLR_

_Kermit SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:34 PM

Thanks Kermit, Like yoiu said I would rather buy from a forum member than on line auction.
where did you buy the parts for the rears? Out of interest if I was heading down to port kennedy next week would it be possible to have a look in person?

Rockoz the veraboard is definately an option if i can work out how to get the look i want

The rear light assemblies were purchased fron the above ebay store along with the rest of the LED's. Thet are basically a 80mm x80mm amber led and a 80mm x80mm
stop/tail led. Same as trailer lights. They also come in clear i think.
If you want to call in thats fine, as long as its Monday or Tuesday. Back to work after that.

K.

#30 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:29 PM

Thanks Kermit,
did you need to use any resistors or were they all a straight replacement?

#31 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

I have been looking at a few of the tail light LED bulbs on ebay,
Here is a link to the Stop/Tail bulbs:
http://cgi.ebay.com....RED...:1|294:50
And here is one to some white ones which are basically identical to the amber flasher bulbs:
http://cgi.ebay.com....LED...:1|294:50
If you look closely, they have different bayonettes. The brake/tails have offset pins and 2 contacts on the bottom, where as the others have inline pins and the single contact on the bottom.
Will the brake/tail bulbs still fit Torana's?
Keith, any advise here???

#32 _Kermit SLR_

_Kermit SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hi Baillie, no resistors were required, as they operate on 12V power supply and only draw what current they need. Only other thing i had to get was a LED flasher unit, as the standard unit relies on the wattage from the bulbs i believe, to break the contacts inside i think.

Squarepants, the stop tail bulbs will be a direct replacement for the globes fitted. They have offset pins so they can onlybe fitted one way. Two contacts on the bottom. One for stop light, one for tail.
The indicator bulbs can be fitted any way as there is only one curcuit. A positive terminal at the bottom, and the earth through the pins and body of the bulb.

K

Edited by Kermit SLR, 15 June 2009 - 08:52 PM.

#33 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

Did you have to change the polarity of your wiring at all?
I had to do this on a couple of the LED's I've fitted so far.

#34 _Kermit SLR_

_Kermit SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

Did you have to change the polarity of your wiring at all?
I had to do this on a couple of the LED's I've fitted so far.

No, wiring did not have to be altered. Some of the lights i fitted, with their own wiring, need to be wired a certain way, but they are usually colour coded. They will only work when wired correctly. If they don't work, just swap the wires around.

K.

Edited by Kermit SLR, 15 June 2009 - 10:05 PM.

#35 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:05 PM

Thanks mate,
don't spose you could post a pic of the back of the tail-light housing?

With the panel mounted ones, are you able to replace the individual diodes when they die?

The globe types look as if they are not servicable from the pics and you would need to replace the whole thing, is that right?

#36 _Kermit SLR_

_Kermit SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

Thanks mate,
don't spose you could post a pic of the back of the tail-light housing?

With the panel mounted ones, are you able to replace the individual diodes when they die?

The globe types look as if they are not servicable from the pics and you would need to replace the whole thing, is that right?

Not sure what you want a pic of. There are 3 wires coming out through where the stop/tail globe would normally be, going to a Deutsch plug that i use for the wiring.
The LED assembly is a sealed unit.The back of the light is covered in resin so it is waterproof. You would have to replace the whole light if one LED failed. They came with a 5 year warranty from memory, and were pretty cheap.
Here is a link to some amber ones, but these are 100mm whereas mine are 80mm. The black outer surround is removable.
http://cgi.ebay.com....I...3:13|294:50

K.

Edited by Kermit SLR, 16 June 2009 - 05:01 PM.

#37 _BAILLIE_

_BAILLIE_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:43 PM

Fair enough, cheap with a warranty sounds good to me.

I saw a bus the other day that had several blown diodes and got me thinking.

I think i understand a bit better now, for some reason i had it in my head that you had chopped up the globe holder part of the tail-lights to fit the panels in a front to rear direction. But you can just take the lense part off and fit them in a rear to front direction yeah? That makes sense.

Obviously if you are running the wires out of the original globe holders that means you haven't really had to modify them.

I assume if i got the 100mm sizes i would remove the outer surrounds to get them to fit in there.

Thankyou again for the info and answering questions,

just one more tho: what is a Deutsch plug?? some kind of terminal?

#38 _Kermit SLR_

_Kermit SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

I used the 80mm sized ones. 100mm might fit, not sure. I did not have to alter the globe holder assembly, apart from stick some silastic on it to hold in the LED's. You will have to experiment with the angle of fitment in the holder so they sit square to the outside lens cover.

A Deutsch plug is an automotive/industrial/marine connector. It seals the wire connections from the elements, using seals on the joints. You have probably seen them on some cars, but not known the name.
Here is a link to the Deutsch website http://www.deutsch.n...rch.aspx?page=3

K.

#39 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:45 PM

Deutsch plugs are overkill in this application. They are water proof and expensive, and, from my understanding, you need fairly special tools to crimp and manipulate them.

Top marks for taste and quality, though, Kermit! :spoton: :clap:

As they say, nothing exceeds like excess!

#40 _Kermit SLR_

_Kermit SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:47 PM

Deutsch plugs are overkill in this application. They are water proof and expensive, and, from my understanding, you need fairly special tools to crimp and manipulate them.

Top marks for taste and quality, though, Kermit! :spoton: :clap:

As they say, nothing exceeds like excess!

Thanks Squarepants.
I have access to the plugs cheap and the crimping tool only cost me $50. Overkill? Yes, but i figured this way i don't have to worry about bad connections again. Did most of the connections with the plugs, soldered terminals on others. I know i will eventually have to pull apart and reconnect at some stage, so if you got them, use them!! :spoton:

K.

#41 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

Just a quick heads up...
I have fitted all LED bulbs for my tail lights, front park lights, front indicators and number plate light.
My indicators no longer flash and the park lights and no. plate light were wrong polarity.
I changed the wiring to fix the polarity issues but now I have to put a load resistor in the indicator circuit or get a non-load sensitive flasher unit, which means I will no longer get the quick flash pattern to tell me if a bulb isn't working. Not such an issue with the LED's as they have a much longer life and I check them often enough, but still, it's a hassle I wasn't expecting.
They look great though and I'd rather fix the issues than go back to regular bulbs. :spoton:
Just thought I'd post these concerns before anyone went out and spent lots of money on bulbs that aren't completely suited to their supposed application.

#42 _gen3torrie_

_gen3torrie_
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:23 PM

how much is it for a setup for the rear end on a torana???

and how hard is it to adapt it to suit LED????

#43 _Squarepants_

_Squarepants_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

how much is it for a setup for the rear end on a torana???

and how hard is it to adapt it to suit LED????

Prolly round $100, give or take, depending on how much you pay for the bulbs and whether you do the number plate lamp as well.
LED flasher can is a must unless you want to put load resistors in. Other than that, easy as.

Edited by Squarepants, 03 September 2009 - 08:05 PM.

#44 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com....id=p3286.c0.m14

#45 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:53 PM

What dash LED is better for behind the blinkers, high beam & warning indicators?

Focussed or diffused?

s

#46 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:35 PM

i would but a diffused style led as it will give more even light

#47 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,471 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Cough

http://www.ebay.com....UEAAOSwXSJXPacK

#48 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2017 - 05:28 AM

One of my biggest pet hates is super bright lights, why can't people realise that blinding other drivers makes you less visible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users