Dry Cell Battery + Charger Information

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

hi, due to the massive short that orrured when the starter was pushed onto headders by conrod a few months ago we also need a new battery
i am looking at getting one of those dry/gell cell type but am unsure whaty size to get the battery that came out was 440cca and we had no prob
with it. i see you can even by carbon fibre batterys but i am looking for some advice on what brand (if one is far better than others?)and what
size would suit our aplication

limited street duties some drag racing mostly sitting in shed gathering dust.

holden 6 compression 11to1 new bosch starter(yet to buy) one small thermo
fan msd digital 7 plus ign a/f meter and the normal stuff aswell

Thanks Hayden

#2 VitcLJ

VitcLJ

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Mate haven't used one myself but have heard nothing but good reports about Odessy batteries. They are expensive but seems they hold thier charge for long time (low self discharge) without any problems. I would get highest CCA that will fit in the space available. Its very easy to under power but very difficult to overpower when intermittent use is involved. We use a SUPER CHARGE silver in our track car and keep it charged with a solar panel sytem seems to work well!

#3 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

Odyssey battery 850 CCA ~ $400.
http://www.batteries...ore.php?crn=309

Optima battery 800 CCA ~ $300.
http://www.batteries...ore.php?crn=310

Absorbed Power AGM GT12-55C 450 CCA ~ $266.
http://www.agmsaustr...roducts/12volt/

The Optima battery I had in my hatch, it did not like sitting around and only lasted about 2 years. I did by another Optima as a replacement and so far so good. I had Absorbed power batteries in my boat for 3 years without any issues.

After the first Optima batter died I fitted a charge and maintain battery charger. They start charging when the battery falls below a preset voltage and the stop and monitor the battery until it needs charging again.

I had this one permanently wired on my hatch with the plug in the grill.
http://www.projecta....d/3/asset_id/15

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 24 January 2009 - 09:57 PM.

#4 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:31 AM

A Battery Fighter is also great for maintaining a battery with infrequent use. They're available from Supercheap Auto.

I purchased the BFM for about $60.

Edited by antelopeslr5000, 25 January 2009 - 08:33 AM.

#5 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

I put an Odyssey into my LJ. Holds charge really well and I hardly ever drive it. They say the thing that will kill them is letting it run flat. Mine is a PC925 and it works awesome with my 308 and gear reduction starter, winds over like it doesnt have plugs in it

#6 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:14 PM

I went for an Odyssey at the time and i got the biggest bastard available... i think they call it ES1500 or something.. it runs about 960CCA and it's about 32Kgs!

I've had NO problems with it holding charge for over a month and i left it discharged for > 6 months when we were waiting for an engine years ago!

I will buy another one if theyre the same physical dimension when this one goes, simply because of how i've built it into the boot of the car. I'm really very happy!

Having said that, My brother bought a car battery sized Odyssey (No idea on the model sorry!) and it lasted <2 years and crapped out. Apparenly with the infrequent use the plated sulfated and the battery died. The distributor of odyssey batteriesd was less than helpful in getting it replaced ( in warranty i believe), he took the battery promising to put it on a reconditioning charger and e never heard again.

He swapped to an Optima red top battery and it's been fine!

I'd DEFINITLY suggest a battery fighter... and i've been thinking about one of those Ctek chargers available from repco and other stores, Apparently they are fantastic for charging and maintaining these kinds of batteries!

#7 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,961 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

Jaycar have some nice trickle/maintenance chargers for a pretty good price last time I looked.

#8 piquet

piquet

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:14 AM

Hi Sedz
I have an Oddysey dry cell fitted to my XU1 and it starts and holds charge well
I have an ES12v 650

It cranks over that 186 with about 1.5:1 easily
Give gordon Cox a call at Diamond Valleyt Auto parts a call on 9467 8900 tell him pete snedddon sent you and see what he can do for you
cheers
peter

#9 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,307 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

Jaycar have some nice trickle/maintenance chargers for a pretty good price last time I looked.

Do they have the solar panel ones that you can put on your dash and plug into the cigarette lighter? Because they're cheap and a fantastic idea for a low-use car like most of the vehicles on this forum

#10 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

The cheap solar powered batteries chargers do not have any voltage regulation, they can overcharge the battery which will result in premature failure.

#11 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

Hi,
Thanks all i have narrowed it down to 2 batterys either a optima battery model 34 = 800cca or a battery model 25 720cca
http://www.batteries...ion=show_detail
more than likley get one of these charges aswell.

#12 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

The battery charger does not appear to be automatic. The charge and maintain style battery chargers are a better choice.

#13 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

You cant go wrong with the ctek charger,

I did alot of research into them and they seem to be the best option (name brand and good money), for anything that sees little use.

I belive it is actually fully automagic and designed to charge and maintain as well as recycle a poorly maintained battery.

Cheers!

#14 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

Tiny,
yes you are right as i did some more research on them and they are fully automatic.
Thanks Hayden

#15 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

I have had the same Optima battery in L8 for 14 years, at one stage it sat untouched for aboiut 3 years but after one charge session came back to life. Great battery.

#16 _torbirdie_

_torbirdie_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

personally, I dont think spending heaps on a truck/large cca battery is a wise use of funds just so it retains enough ability after being left lying idle to provide the modest demands of current required by the starter on a holden 6 or v8.

I think getting just the normal $100 battery and investing in a trickle charger etc, whether it be solar or electrical would be cheaper and more reliable.

#17 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:45 PM

Fair call torbirdie, I can see your logic in that point of view!

I Chose the odessey because it was AGM and gave me the option of mounting it sideways, and also not having to use a ventilated box. getting around a whole heap of headaches for me!

The $400 investment in the battery I belive has been justified in the case that it has not required replacement in the *Easily* 7 years i've owned it. We had standard lead acid batteries die much quicker ( 6 months - 3 years MAXIMUM).

The large CCA rating has also for me given me the ability not to worry about hot start problems, high resistance wiring (long run from teh battery to boot) and things like that enabling quick and painless starting. I personally think it's money well spent if you have it in your budget to do so.

Cheers!

#18 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

After seeing the damage done to cars by wet batteries why would you ever fit one if you can afford a dry battery?

#19 _Herne_

_Herne_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

After seeing the damage done to cars by wet batteries why would you ever fit one if you can afford a dry battery?

You answered your own question, a matter of available funds at the time when one is needed :)

Cheers
Herne

#20 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

ls2lxhatch,
i have been it a speedway car crash that we ended up upside down with a wet (normal) battery in the cabin lucklily i got straight out but my mate was stuck in it with battery acid over his suit.

no i am not planing to roll the lc but my train of thought was simalar to tinnys above post^^

Thanks Hayden

#21 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,330 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:04 PM

I guess my point is that wet batteries suck and there is more than one reason to buy a dry battery. Whether is it size/CCA, mounting options, safety or rust prevention. Even though they more than twice the price of a wet battery it is money well spent.

#22 Com_VC

Com_VC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hi,

So these chargers are pretty good? http://www.batteries...ion=show_detail

I've got an odyssey battery that needs charging. I've been meaning to buy a good charger for awhile now.

The price seems cheap. They seem to have a large range of chargers and the only difference seems to be the amp value and price. Does that relate to the amount of time it takes to charge the battery?

It's confusing, there are a heap of chargers out there and some of them are in the $300 - $500 range. I just want something that will charge a flat battery and something that I can leave connected to a vehicle that sits every now and then.

Thanks

#23 _Drag lc_

_Drag lc_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:05 AM

com vc,
those charges from the reserch that i have done are very good it just depends on how big your battery is from the reserch that i did this charger will charge and maintain a battery of up to 60ah ok.

Thanks Hayden

#24 _Torana308_

_Torana308_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

I know this is an old thread, But I just wanted to add the Odyssey is now out of my car and their products will never go into anything of mine again.

There has to be better battery options out there. Mine died similar to Tinys brothers one, was told it was sulfation.

Customer service is behind me never buying one of their products ever again.

#25 _Hotrodder_

_Hotrodder_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

Customer service is behind me never buying one of their products ever again.

Hey, nobody can argue that their customer service is good coz its bloody terrible. They do have a good product though.
Like any battery, you will always get the occasional bad one, thats just manufacturing for you.
But what are the options?
Theres no way I'd even consider the Optima, since theyve taken manufacturing to mexico from the USA the quality has severely suffered.
Google it and you'll find bad reports all over forums everywhere in the last 6 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users